mtbkym01

Japan Visit

Back to Akihabara to locate Super Rajikon, this ended up being my favourite store, as They had a Bruiser there with my name all over it, and at a better than online price :wub:

They also had some complete Tractor Truck kits (Radio gear, MFC etc all included) which suited my mates as 2 of them were chasing those. We also grabbed a trailer each, I went for just a Flatbed as I was concerned at that stage about getting the kits home, and it had the most compact box, but it didn't deter the others who bought the Reefer and Tanker trailers :D

IMG_0993_zpsa8c09c6a.jpg

IMG_1015_zpsd3198861.jpg

Upstairs is a Mini Z track

IMG_1013_zps8443a898.jpg

More parts than you can poke a stick at

IMG_1016_zps3c6cfd8d.jpg

IMG_1017_zps8eeb5292.jpg

Standing out the front with our "Loot"

IMG_0995_zpsdaee05bf.jpg

We took a Taxi back to the hotel to offload, classic sight with the bootlid of the cab open, and the boot full of kits, will update with that pic later as another mate of mine has it

Back at the Hotel, we had some assistance to get the gear back to the room :rolleyes:

IMG_0996_zpsedba2bb3.jpg

The haul was the pic I posted earlier, but here it is again :D

image_zps4df0db66.jpg

Don't worry, more to come :huh:

• Like 5

you guys must be their customer of the month:-D

I don't think your LHS has anything close to what this shop stock on any given day and Tamiya is likely doing fine with just its home market. Hence don't care what the stuff other companies are putting out.

As it turns out, one shop on my list being Rakusei Model apparently closed its Akihabara store earlier this year which was a shame, so next on the list was Futaba Sangyo. This is where a Subaru Brat joined my haul (Less than half what one would cost me on eBay now :o ). This store had a number of used shells hanging up which belonged to previous and current world champions, the likes of Rheinhard, Hara, Moore, as well as a Kyosho 2wd buggy (well used completed with dirt still on it which belonged to Tebo. All in all another well stocked store.

IMG_1135_zpsd08fe257.jpg

IMG_1137_zps5bd9c35b.jpg

IMG_1139_zpsf4199dcf.jpg

IMG_1141_zps70cd3ae3.jpg

IMG_1143_zps124c1e75.jpg

IMG_1147_zps73b40525.jpg

IMG_1149_zps10ff9a85.jpg

That's pretty much it as far as shops go, we ended up back at RC Champ Advisor at least once more, and probably 3 visits in total to Super Rajikon. In my next post I will post some general photos highlighting the colours of Tokyo in general, so stand by :D

man, you inspired me to want to go to Tokyo ... for a whole 47 seconds, I googled prices for holidays to Tokyo ... 1000gbp for 3 nights... I need that lotto ticket NOW!

Enjoy your holiday mate and congrats on the buys! awesome :)

Wow, just saw this for some reason, and thanks for posting the pics!

Yes, you're making me want to go visit Japan (i did when I was 14 yrs old for an exchange, so can remember a little!)

Awesome photos, and I can't believe how many kits you guys bought and were able to bring home!

Cheers,

Skottoman

Ok, so to finish off the pics here are some random shots from being "out and about", some of the cars (1/1) are quite spectacular to say the least, and just the billboards and signage are astonishing.

IMG_0967_zps4ea35822.jpg

IMG_0856_zpse97a9498.jpg

IMG_0857_zps8e37f558.jpg

IMG_0859_zpsceeee966.jpg

IMG_0990_zps6efade82.jpg

IMG_0997_zps157f7f38.jpg

IMG_0999_zps2644f4d1.jpg

IMG_1005_zpsc8457883.jpg

IMG_1023_zpsa33c3ef4.jpg

IMG_1127_zps70b23a39.jpg

When you live in a city that has 30 million people residing there, I guess you need innovative ways to park your car

IMG_0848_zpsbb8cd41e.jpg

Harajuku Station is the place to be on a Sunday afternoon, its here where you see the eye opening fashion, and an extremely busy place to be

IMG_0961_zps36a50c8f.jpg

IMG_0964_zpsf129556e.jpg

IMG_0962_zps7fd71862.jpg

This was a sports store in the Shinjuku district

IMG_0863_zps67db5071.jpg

Still more to follow B)

• Like 1

So our last night in Japan, we made a booking for the Robot Restaurant, and absolutely unbelievable show that almost could cause a sensory overload :wacko:

IMG_1251_zpsf3dc834a.jpg

Now, I needed to buy a suitcase (as I packed very light for my trip over B) ) to fit the Bruiser Box

IMG_1159_zpsa7e3c37e.jpg

The case only weighs about 5 KG's so is really good for its size (I think I better make a couple more trips to load it up again to offset the $140 I paid for it :D )

I grabbed a couple Tamiya Freight boxes from RC Champ on my last visit there (they were kind enough to give them to me, absolute champions) to pack the remaining stuff into, one for me, and one for my room mate

It sadly was our last day too soon, we had to check out of the hotel by 10am, although the shuttle bus to the Airport didn't leave until 3:30pm, So the Hotel looked after our gear, we jumped onto a train to go check out the Tokyo Sky Tree

IMG_0865_zps790273e6.jpg

Unfortunately we didn't plan for such crowds and waiting times to go up, so we actually missed out on seeing the views (something for next time, and trust me, there will be a next time, sooner rather than later too B) )

Instead, at the same complex there was an aquarium that we decided to check out, here's one pic from inside of some jellyfish

IMG_1275_zps4160c6a3.jpg

I have plenty more pics, but hopefully that gives you all a taste of my experience which I thoroughly enjoyed, and plan to do again soon.

All my "loot" (except the flatbed trailer, which will arrive sometime soon) made it home safely, and is currently stacked in the house to remind me daily of my adventure

IMG_1398_zps41a8d9e7.jpg

Ok, well that's it, I hope I've been able to portray a little taste of Japan for those of you who don't have the opportunity to get there yourself, and for those who've been before, a little reminder of how awesome it is, as I've said repeatedly, I'll be going again for sure

I hope you enjoyed the pics & stories, cheers

• Like 7

Aisa cities want the latest,while europrean and North American cities want to keep its history. One could visit asia cities every 5 years could be different while visiting european or NA cities could be the same 50 years later. There slow days are the busiest days for some non asia city. Is good to visit other places and expand one's horizon. your view of things will change

Just... wow.

Kym my friend, you are a frikken legend B) What an awesome adventure!

Awesome!!!.

What about the brochure whcih has re re egress??? :-).

Waiting for this to vuew it

Ah yes, will have to unpack it (stored it away for safe keeping ;) ) will update that thread soon
  • Like 1

Must have been a fun trip (understatement lol) That's some great hauls and photos you got.

Amazing that they let you take photographs inside so many of the hobby shops. I was in Tokyo 15 years on a buying spree and most (if not all) of the shops we visited banned the taking of photos inside the shops ... the staff even shooshed you away from the front of the shop if they caught you taking photos of the front window.

I'd love to visit Japan sometime . I find it such a alien culture to the West that it fascinates me . Great photos and it looks as though you had a wonderful time .

The very last pic is of the Taxi after our shopping spree at Super Rajikon, that I mentioned earlier :)

IMG_1402_zpsebb5b022.jpg

Wow/

What an adventure . Wish we had Hobby shops like that. Just imagine what it was like in the late 80's in the r/c hey days :D

• Like 3

Nice thread! (sorry for bump, just got linked to it!)

I can kind of avoid the 'limited to how much I buy' thing since I live here (Japan) permanently now, so it's just a case of 'how much will fit in the car' and 'how much I can sneak past the wife' 

If you ever make it back i'd suggest trying a few stores from the Book-off range, specifically "Hobby-off" I've scored quite a few nice finds in those, including a complete, unused NDF-01 Nitro Thunder for 3200 yen, and a selection of different chassis including a couple TT-01's and a TB-03 which just needed electronics for 1080yen to 2500yen each, the TB-03 had a TBLM-01 10.5T brushless already installed so that one was a major score too!

• Like 1