Sign in to follow this  
ryanb741

ESC questions

I just purchased an MTroniks Tempo ESC to fit on my Dirt Thrasher. Thing is, I just noticed it says forward/brake. Does this mean it won't reverse? If this is the case - what is the point of having no reverse function?

ou're right, the Tempo has no reverse. Being someone who races my cars I only have one ESC that has reverse, all my others are forward/brake only. The reason is that ESCs with reverse have usually 4 times the electrical resistance of the equivalent forward only, and the power loss would make a difference in the performance. Race tracks are generally designed to reduce the need to reverse, and marshalls are provided for when you do get stuck. When racing you do not need reverse, in fact under ROAR regulations reverse is banned from racing.

Reverse ESCs is not 'illegal' to use in racing (some ESCs are switchable) but If you're actually spotted *reversing* during the race you'll be summarily disqualified.

Cars reversing in racetrack are always easy to spot, as they never fail to backup right over the racing line and cause a big pileup. [:(!]

From the ROAR rule book:

RADIOS AND SERVOS

6-73: Three channel radios are permitted, the only functions allowed are steering, throttle, and brake. No onboard traction control or other electronic aids other than fail-safe(s) to stop the car in the event of a radio/battery failure are allowed. A fail-safe radio/servo system is highly recommended.

There is no such rule under BRCA , so in the UK you can run with reverse. Although no one does because of the performance disadvantage.