mongoose1983

Another Lunch Box build thread

I'm all bliss tonight. This thing was waiting for me, and from now on in the next weeks I'll be working on my Midnight Pumpkin to make a Lunch Box. The thread will be more to show what I can do with the Tradesman body. What a nice thing indeed is this scale van. It's a shame Tamiya doesn't make these bodies in 1:10 scale!

So here's the first picture. All clean and brand new. I gotta mention the web store "Phil's Hobby shop" because their prices are cheap, and the service is fast and excellent overall. I mean they send a bodyshell this big to the other side of the world for twelve bucks, and I've seen people paying over $40 on shipping for a lousy a set of shocks!

DSCN1617_zpsf315e304.jpg

I hope to start the painting process next weekend. Sadly there is no availability of orange spray here in my country and I can not get it from abroad because of the postal regulations, but will try to make something nice out of this. I think Tamiya marketed this thing as some sort of canvas for the RC artist, am I wrong? haha.

The chassis is all ready. Will post some progress hopefully in a few days.

02-9_zps9d8c0890.jpg

03-9_zpsf60cb863.jpg

You all have an excellent week! :)

• Like 1

Phil's is good for sure - the one I go through is Omnimodels- lots of discounts and free shipping for $100 in parts

Phil's is good for sure - the one I go through is Omnimodels- lots of discounts and free shipping for $100 in parts

Omni isn't too bad, but they have a base rate of $12 something for anything for international, sometimes it can work in your favour, but if you want something small, it's still $12 shipping. Stuff I've bought from Phils in regards to shipping is relative to the item, some stuff is only $4 to ship, especially helpful if its something like some lunchbox windows or uprights etc. I generally find my stuff from Phils gets here quicker than Omni too. But it's all part n parcel :)

PUMPKIN! PUMPKIN! PUMPKIN! PUMPKIN! PUMPKIN! :ph34r:

I'm all bliss tonight. This thing was waiting for me, and from now on in the next weeks I'll be working on my Midnight Pumpkin to make a Lunch Box. The thread will be more to show what I can do with the Tradesman body. What a nice thing indeed is this scale van. It's a shame Tamiya doesn't make these bodies in 1:10 scale!

So here's the first picture. All clean and brand new. I gotta mention the web store "Phil's Hobby shop" because their prices are cheap, and the service is fast and excellent overall. I mean they send a bodyshell this big to the other side of the world for twelve bucks, and I've seen people paying over $40 on shipping for a lousy a set of shocks!

http://s374.photobuc...html?sort=3&o=0

I hope to start the painting process next weekend. Sadly there is no availability of orange spray here in my country and I can not get it from abroad because of the postal regulations, but will try to make something nice out of this. I think Tamiya marketed this thing as some sort of canvas for the RC artist, am I wrong? haha.

The chassis is all ready. Will post some progress hopefully in a few days.

http://s374.photobuc...html?sort=3&o=2

http://s374.photobuc...html?sort=3&o=3

You all have an excellent week! :)

I look forward to your work on this Erich

Thank you guys! :)

Well last night I built the body. And when walking back from work I decided to get in the hardware store that's in the corner, just walking out of the subway station, to buy a regular can of paint. Orange color. I thought to myself, "well, I used that paint two decades ago with excellent results and bought it in this very same hardware store".

Well, I don't know if sometime the last two decades these enamels changed their chemical composition but still decided to give it a try. Come to think there is NO WAY me or anybody else can paint any hardbody in orange color here in my country! I mean this is unbelievable!

lunchie01_zps7b0b5d11.jpg?t=1365017428

Carefully I packed the Dodge body and opened a small hole to test the spray. I LOVED the color, it's really been what I been wanting to use for years now, but the paint affected the body, causing some sort of reaction from which you can not get the finish shiny and nice. So, all in all, this is another reason to miss the good old days. I lost four bucks by trying to use a product anybody in the first-world countries can have for peanuts. You guys probably don't even know how lucky you are to have access to everything you might want to use in your hobby!

So I will have to go next week to the hobby store on the other side of the city and choose from the three or four colors they have to offer. :(

Anyway, the body is neat! This is my very first Lunchbox and I am in love with the looks of it.

lunchie02_zps8495a49d.jpg?t=1365017417

More later ;)

• Like 2

A good primer as a first coat is needed- get a grey to keep the orange bright..

• Like 1

A good primer as a first coat is needed- get a grey to keep the orange bright..

That would only work with paint specifically made to use with these bodies. Unfortunately, that kind of paint is not available here and it is illegal to buy it from abroad.

In 20 years I don't know what changed, if the chemical composition of the enamels or the plastic Tamiya use to make their bodies.

If I want it orange I can only try my luck with the brush. :(

I see and understand - WELL primer will work with any paint on it as long as you have patients and a warmer than the 30* garage I have lol

At least you had the good sense to test it on the inside first, I would have went ahead and messed up the whole shell. :P

• Like 1

I had a similar reaction when using automotive spraypaint on a Mad Bull shell. I found that after a couple of light coats it stopped reacting. I then wet-sanded the surface smooth, being careful not to break through the paint, and carried on as normal. The shell came out nice and shiney in the end:

madhopper010.jpg

• Like 1

What about automotive paint ? If your hobby shop only sells limited colours then try a car accessory shop, or worst case a car dealership parts department.

There's not too many car companies using orange mind, in Europe they'd be Ford, lamborghini and Porsche. Seat and Peugeot do some quite vibrant colours too

• Like 1

I had a similar reaction when using automotive spraypaint on a Mad Bull shell. I found that after a couple of light coats it stopped reacting. I then wet-sanded the surface smooth, being careful not to break through the paint, and carried on as normal. The shell came out nice and shiney in the end

Believe it or not the idea crossed my mind, but I couldn't bring myself to spray the orange over the Tradesman shell. I think I just need to put some more brain into this and come up with some idea to meet my expectations over what a Lunchbox should look like. I have just traded decals with a TCer from the UK and so it would be easy to just paint it yellow and then apply the decals going boxart, but I believe this Dodge body has so much potential that it would be a bit of a shame not to try something more exciting.

But of course your idea is appreciated (thank you!), and I am sure it can be of help to other TCers who are facing the same problem. Years ago I ruined a Subaru Brat body with some special spray and I felt gutted!

What about automotive paint ? If your hobby shop only sells limited colours then try a car accessory shop, or worst case a car dealership parts department.

There's not too many car companies using orange mind, in Europe they'd be Ford, lamborghini and Porsche. Seat and Peugeot do some quite vibrant colours too

Thanks Percymon. That idea might led to something good. Will send an email to a buddy who works with 1:1 right away. If I can get this Dodge van reasonably painted orange I think I'll be in debt with you. ;) Gotta love TC forums! :)

The Ford color looks more traditional. I like it. The Seat looks more like competition orange, which can be found here but it's not what I want for my RC car. Thanks for the pictures!

I have to get around to building a LB sometime - but as the Cannonball ambulance complete with flashing lights and sirens lol

• Like 3

Nice truck good luck with the paint search. Put new shocks on mine last weekend, and ran it yesterday works great. You will have a blast with yours when it's done. Mine's sort of orange. 100_4496.jpg

• Like 2

Nice truck good luck with the paint search. Put new shocks on mine last weekend, and ran it yesterday works great. You will have a blast with yours when it's done. Mine's sort of orange. 100_4496.jpg

Thanks. Is that copper color?

Its been a few years but I believe it was this testors fiery orange spray laquer.http://www.testors.com/products/137172

Would love to chuck a can of TS12 and TS13 in the mail for you Erich, but you know I am not allowed... :(

Would love to chuck a can of TS12 and TS13 in the mail for you Erich, but you know I am not allowed... :(

Neil, a year or so ago a fellow TCer ordered a couple of orange spray cans for me from an online store in Germany, and I only received an empty packet with a note inside saying they're somewhere in Luxembourg. :blink: Not possible, but if you know me I always find my way to make the cars look and work fine. ;)

BTW, I'll have to send you an e-mail one of these days, pal. Do you remember the woman from the car accident a couple of years ago? :D

Some teasers. I bet some of you guys will kinda figure out the sort of thing I want it to look like.

I did not like the Testors competition orange! <_< Looks too much like a freakin' amberlance (read it as the guy that was hit by the epic beard man years ago, haha).

lb01_zpsf302c241.jpg?t=1370818176

lb02_zpsb775246c.jpg?t=1370818180

lb03_zps85ad3fee.jpg?t=1370818170

lb04_zps75de25ba.jpg?t=1370818187

Hopefully it won't be long before the lunchbox hits the dirt at the San Cristóbal!!

You all have a GREAT week! :)

• Like 3

I could be found quite partial to the Orange crush colour... ;)

Did you break the front shock bottoms?

Oh, and it looks WAY better with the blacked out grille, more like a proper tradesman :)

I could be found quite partial to the Orange crush colour... ;)

Did you break the front shock bottoms?

Oh, and it looks WAY better with the blacked out grille, more like a proper tradesman :)

Hiya Neil! :)

I have nothing against orange myself! I just wanted the van to be regular orange, not this "competition" shxx

You spotted the front shocks... I still have the original front pogos. These are Black Foot's with a longer -blue- end bit. I replaced momentarily the originals because I had a plan to make a mock interior for the truck, but since I will need the BF shocks for another project car I will have to return to the original ones. Still, I believe you're going to like the final version of the van!

If I have a couple of hours next weekend I'll comeback with more pictures of the detailed body and maybe some action, too. ;)

Slooowly taking shape.

I was dumb enough to ruin the red lightning decals I had for it :( so I'll have to think in something else...

DSCN2605_zps0c332e79.jpg?t=1370907445

• Like 2