AndyjcClod

Action Shots

I thought it may be a good idea to start an "Action Shot" topic going as I have seen some great R/C action photos over the years, although I know from experience it aint easy taking action shots when you are out on your own with your Radio Controlled Cars! I have attached my first attempt below. I used an iphone with some software called "Fast camera" which takes photos automatically in quick succession. They are not the best quality but I don't think they are bad action shots for a first try :)img1835wg.jpgimg1829rd.jpgimg1792bf.jpgimg1805q.jpg

• Like 6

Nice thread - I'm firmly of the opinion action shots don't need to be 'best quality' as long as they look good

Your first pic is great (other 3 none too shabby either) - plenty of movement and 'atmosphere' and superb for a phone pic

Here's a couple of my personal faves;

Complete cheat - reverse through puddle to stir up water then accelerate out

img169_03042005162732_4.jpg

Got lucky with the focusing

img169_01042008193554_1.jpg

More luck

img169_30052005140241_2.jpg

And a poser

img169_08122008235734_2.jpg

• Like 8

wow - these are all some great pics. do you guys always need someone to drive and someone to snap pics? is there a solo way of getting decent action shots?

Great shots! Now you have made me want to get a lunch box again (I soooooo regret selling the one in my avatar picture!)! I love the pic of one landing and the blurred grass shot is awesome! Crawler looks great as well (I am working on one of those at the moment) :)

img3613ancxp.jpg

img3563asfy8.jpg

Action shots of my Sand Viper.

@AndyjcClod: These pics were taken by the help of a friend who had a great DSLR camera. He took lots of shots, it was hard to catch a moving object on film.

There's also a an article written by Stevo309 on how to improve R/C related photos:

http://www.tamiya101.com/article_photo_tips.asp

• Like 3

wow - these are all some great pics. do you guys always need someone to drive and someone to snap pics? is there a solo way of getting decent action shots?

I drive my own cars when taking pics so I know where the car's going

Pistol transmitters make it dead easy if you got big enough hands to steer and accelerate

This one was taken whilst laying in front of the car and driving it over a speed hump

http://www.tamiyaclu...id=22963&id=169

img169_18072004174140_1.jpg

img169_18072004174140_5.jpg

I've only ever used really used D-SLRs for taking them and for fast moving shots I switch to maual focus and try and fire the camera when the car goes through the focus point

Most of them are waste, but the odd few turn out ok - Those ones get uploaded :lol:

Here's a shot of the setup for the Beetle pic - I wasn't available that day so they got a fat bloke to re-enact my part :D

Pic by Jimbo

andy.JPG

• Like 6

Another fave

This one was taken on a pathway going around the local reservoir, with me standing on a entry slipway to get down low

That also made panning easier as I wasn't laying down or on elbows

img169_19092011194218_4.jpg

• Like 5

My friend Jake was kind enough to take these for me. They aren't Tamiya so I hope it's ok.

IMG_04491.jpg

IMG_0449.jpg

IMG_0469.jpg

IMG_0463.jpg

IMG_0449.jpg

IMG_0444.jpg

Sorry for the same pic twice. Was early when I posted this. :)

Edited by Theibault
  • Like 6

Carnage! I'm soooo tempted to build the NIB Pumpkin sitting behind me...

I soon realised I needed a half decent camera for action shots and stills so I bought a Nikon and love it. This photo was taken on sport mode. I've got tons of action shots but will keep it at this one. (It's a Blitzer Beetle in there)

img30876_31072011142954_1.jpg

• Like 3

DSC01418.jpg

DSC00341.jpg

cda5f024.jpg

The thing that bugs me with digital cameras is the pause between me pressing the button and them actually taking the picture. Still you can click away like mad and then delete all the rubbish.

• Like 1

The thing that bugs me with digital cameras is the pause between me pressing the button and them actually taking the picture. Still you can click away like mad and then delete all the rubbish.

A decent camera should have a two stage button and a really short delay when pushing just the last half stroke...

Decide where you want to take the picture, half press the button on that area (the camera focuses and decides what shutter speed to use and all that) and when the car comes into frame, shoot...it also helps alot to try and "slide" the camera with the car so the moving car gets sharp and the static terrain goes blurry (or from the point of the camera, the static car is sharp and the moving terrain becomes blurry)...

Let's see if this works:

DSC00623.JPG

Holiday Buggy 2010 action shots

IMG_6308_zpsf26ac0fa.jpg

you badly need an anti-roll bar mate :D

Percymon, something like that yes. The HB 2010 is a tad top heavy :P

DB01 must be top heavy too. I have plenty of pics of mine with the same pose :lol:

Great thread, brilliant photos and some top humour!

I better get outside and join in the fun, camera, action and share!

• Like 1

Found a couple more I quite like

up070401.jpg

Sticking with the 'it doesn't need to be a great picture' excuse

up070402.jpg

Action, just not fast action

up070403.jpg

• Like 3

And every now and then, it's necessary to cheat, although this only really works on 4WD cars without a centre diff

Post-photoshop

up070404.jpg

What was removed

up070405.jpg

Where it went

up070406.jpg

• Like 1

Some of my favourites... All photos taken by my wife.

Fox throwing a big roost:

img20319_22022009133407_4.jpg

Almost the Grasshopper in boxart pose:

img20319_27112008174944_1.jpg

Grasshopper working hard:

img20319_27112008174944_3.jpg

Baja 5B on power opposite lock (she's game to lay down in front of this and snap photos): img20319_16092010120028_1.jpg

HPI's optional hovercraft upgrade:

img20319_31032009063136_9.jpg

• Like 5

Where it went

up070406.jpg

is that a hammer?

ok... i guess to drive the post into the ... mud. reminds me of: "there's some lovely filth down here!"

• Like 1