SteveU30

Lunchbox FX10 Front Arm Conversion - Another Take

@SteveU30: Many thanks for your detailed conversion tutorial.

@skip665: I wonder how the lower shock mounts shown on the linked page are held in place?

@skip665: I wonder how the lower shock mounts shown on the linked page are held in place?

I had a look last night and all I can think is there are two pieces of "DVD case" either side of the arm - held in place by a machine screw and nyloc nut - hence my comment about I wonder how strong it would be - my Lunchie takes a fair beating.... Decided against it on my main runner as it works ok as it is...

• Like 1

Thanks! :) Now this is just brilliant and so simple at the same time. I assume there'll be also a thin spacer between the upper and lower plastic sheets on the lower arm.

• Like 1

Thanks! :) Now this is just brilliant and so simple at the same time. I assume there'll be also a thin spacer between the upper and lower plastic sheets on the lower arm.

Good call - I bet you are right :) If I do the FX10 mod on my Midnight Pumpkin I may well give this method a go :)

Let us know how that method worked for you.

Another thing I would like to know is if the FX10 arms will maintain the stock front track width, or if they will widen the track (and how much wider the track would be with them).

I don't have my truck with me but I can tell you I noticed no discernible differnce between the front track of the standard setup and the FX10 conversion.

If you are unsure whether to do this mod or not I urge you to give it a go - although in reality there is no point to it as the Lunchbox is all about bashing for fun - its just great fun to play around with it and try to improve it (for no real reason!)

My main reason for doing the mod was because I was getting fed up of it rolling when turning at speed, oh and the fact that it didn't reverse properly with oil filled dampers fitted.

It's definitely a worth while mod, especially if you are going to be fitting a faster motor otherwise it will just be a straight line wheelie machine!!

• Like 1

I have had the FX10 front end on for so long now I have forgotten how bad it is without it! My 3 year old has a Midnight Pumpkin but it only has a 80t motor in it so its so slow I never have to worry about handling - when he gets older and wants it to go faster I can see me applying this mod :)

Let us know how that method worked for you.

Another thing I would like to know is if the FX10 arms will maintain the stock front track width, or if they will widen the track (and how much wider the track would be with them).

Regarding the track width, the FX10 mod makes the track ever so slightly wider but we're only talking a few turns of the steering arms to adjust the toe-in back to stock.

• Like 1

Well I think you've convinced me to order the CRP FX10 front suspension and hardware kit. :)

This is another take on custom front shock mounts on the lower arms:

http://www.tamiyaclu...=50#entry436857

Besides from plastic sheet, I think aluminium sheet could be used too, even if it will add some weight.

• Like 1

Well I think you've convinced me to order the CRP FX10 front suspension and hardware kit. :)

This is another take on custom front shock mounts on the lower arms:

http://www.tamiyaclu...=50#entry436857

Besides from plastic sheet, I think aluminium sheet could be used too, even if it will add some weight.

That's where I got this inspiration for mine except I wanted to do it using the kit to show it could be done with minimal extra spend/engineering.

I like your philosophy of recycling as much given parts as possible. I'm looking forward to see how your new slotted mounts will look like, while waiting for my own order to arrive.

Being looking at this mod purely out of interest . I wonder if you could use polymorph to permanantly fill in the Triangle rather than bits of old CD case ? Might be stronger and look better . Once painted yellow it would almost look stock . Just drill through to add a mounting point

• Like 1

Being looking at this mod purely out of interest . I wonder if you could use polymorph to permanantly fill in the Triangle rather than bits of old CD case ? Might be stronger and look better . Once painted yellow it would almost look stock . Just drill through to add a mounting point

That's a great idea, I was actually thinking of making lower arm mounts similar to what I made out of polymorph but with more holes to allow for different shocks. Another side project to go on the list!

Polymorph - superb idea! Probably stronger too - this thread shows how its good to talk! B)

Here's an interesting read, have a look at post #7473 on this page: http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_4013633/mpage_298/key_/tm.htm

The guy has done the DVD mod but at the end of the post he mentions that the DVD case kept snapping so he ended up designing a block to fit the arm similar to mine and the other one.

The whole thread is a good read if you're into Lunchboxes but it is I've 300 pages so might take a while (I'm still reading it myself).

Thanks Steve. HD-PE sheet might worth a try, too. I've used 5mm thick HDPE for my Holiday Buggy's shock tower conversion (see also Chrishix' how-to guide), this material is really strong while being easy to cut and drill. I've been using HDPE for adapting bodymounts on my Bush Devil/Monster Beetle and Mad Viper conversions, too.

But keep in mind that you can't paint and glue HDPE, apart from heat-welding two parts together.

OK so I received the replacement shock tower from Zac_F83 and today had a mother go at making the lower shock mounts, this time notching them out to fit securely without using cable ties. Am really pleased with the results!:

null_zps5e7f1b35.jpg

null_zpsbd49aeb5.jpg

null_zps30ac1fd9.jpg

null_zps938fa6ba.jpg

null_zpse6419a41.jpg

null_zps45fb5a40.jpg

null_zpsa3642f81.jpg

Thats a nice neat bit of work , but i dont think it will be strong enough . A few big jumps and hard landings and well errmmmmmmmmmm . Personally i think i would fill in the arm triangle with perhaps polymorph and secure the lower damper to that . Maybe you could polymorph in the brackets you have made to re enforce them ?

Just fitted a 17T Team Orion Havok motor and 15T ESC to my Lunchie which should be enough power to test my FX10 conversion out properly. Next stop, some BIG air!

Its been so long since I had a 17t motor in my Lunchbox I forget how quick it would be!

Took mine for a blast last night - a good silver can on lipo is plenty powerful enough for me! The mods I have made to the setup - slightly more toe-in and leveling the suspension has made a world of difference and its now much more controllable - love it :)

Quick vid I just shot today with the 17T motor in it. Seems about the right speed for it so don't think I'll be going brushless with it. Will just concentrate on chassis mods.