SteveU30

Lunchbox FX10 Front Arm Conversion - Another Take

Today, the CRP FX-10 front suspension parts turned up at my door. I can't wait to get them mounted on my Mitsubishi Pajero Wheelie. :)

Could you please write down the dimensions of these foam inserts? Especially the width would be good to know. Most 2.2" monster truck foam inserts I know of are too narrow for the Lunchbox wheels.

To enhance the wheelie bar, I got myself a pair of R/C airplane rubber tires on aluminium wheels.

Here you go Greg (they fit perfectly by the way):

null_zps4a631491.jpg

null_zps6d9e9184.jpg

null_zpsda3cd818.jpg

null_zpsa2d57a33.jpg

null_zps0a35dc8f.jpg

Did you fit them to the rear too Steve? Just curious...

Why foam inside tires helps in your opinion?

Isn't the wheel more heavy?

Max

Why foam inside tires helps in your opinion?

Isn't the wheel more heavy?

Yeap. Heavier and much, much less bouncy. Weight closer to the ground (below the COG) is a good thing on a top heavy van. I also put a wrap of cloth tape stuck to the inside the tyre a bit like belting. Helps stop the tyres ballooning so much at high rpm.

Yeap. Heavier and much, much less bouncy. Weight closer to the ground (below the COG) is a good thing on a top heavy van. I also put a wrap of cloth tape stuck to the inside the tyre a bit like belting. Helps stop the tyres ballooning so much at high rpm.

I like that idea, may have to try that too!

Popped to B&Q last night and picked up some 15x15 U-channel so I can make this adjustment to the FX10 conversion - looks like the perfect solution to me until someone has some new arms moulded!

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=11408848

Made a prototype last night and it fits nicely. As soon as its done properly I will report back! :)

Son no.2 was born on Friday night so progress has been slow!

Finally got it all finished tonight - had to shallow the U-channel down to 11mm to make it sit as least obtrusively as possible underneath. A 5mm wide and about 10mm deep slot in each side was enough to slide it perfectly into position providing a nice amount of strength to the setup. Obviously this involves cutting the usual shock mount position to fit the U-channel but a spacer could be used if you wanted to reverse the mod (but why would you?!) Will test drive it tomorrow to see how it goes - the CVA shocks that did have Monster Beetle springs with the largest stiffener are now sprung with Clod Buster springs and no stiffeners at all - giving a similar feel "by hand".

Pictures....

Comparison with old setup

20130611_155401_zps7eca4930.jpg

20130611_145330_zps7dc85c46.jpg

20130611_204520_zps9ae8499b.jpg

@SteveU30: Hey Steve,

do you still have the pictures of the installation of the FX10 suspension kit? The photos of Photobucket are blurry and I can not really recognize anything. I would like to follow your approach to obstruct the FX10 suspension kit in my LB.

Thanks