jeekelemental

So, how do you like to drive your cars?

So, how do you prefer to drive your cars?  

37 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

It depends on the car.

Some just beg to have the life thrashed out of them, and it does them no harm. Where as others are driven like they are a crystal vase on wheels. And there's the ones in the middle that you drive fast but sensibly.

• Like 2

I only build drivers so i drive them and usually try not to crash them haha

• Like 1

What he said. lol

What he said. lol

I'd 3rd that. When I was young, I didn't care, and the cars suffered, now I want to have fun, but still have a drivable car at the end of it.

After studying America Inglish for over 40 years..me think meaning is...

"I only build them so i can drive them and usually try not to crash them, hehe"

I got a great deal on "them" on ebay, no shipping charges.

is very clear, was wrong with you people? :P

• Like 1

Way too many different types of driving to be had. 2 years ago I thought I only liked buggy racing, last year I realized how fun it is to slow down a LOT and carve up a beach with my Frog, recently I have learned pavement is a lot of fun too.

I just push my boxes around the table a little and tell myself it won't be long till I can really control one.

Chris

• Like 1

After studying America Inglish for over 40 years..me think meaning is...

"I only build them so i can drive them and usually try not to crash them, hehe"

I got a great deal on "them" on ebay, no shipping charges.

is very clear, was wrong with you people? :P

Typing with one hand and eating with the other = non-good combination for making sense haha

But yes I build mine as VERY nice drivers and try not to crash them - although I'll admit I'm new to the "box art" paint jobs on the re-re's.. usually I just make them look nice..

Saved $120 over buying a NIB retail SS (my LHS has them for $350) ya it was missing parts but I'm not in a hurry to get it running either

It depends on the car.

Some just beg to have the life thrashed out of them, and it does them no harm. Where as others are driven like they are a crystal vase on wheels. And there's the ones in the middle that you drive fast but sensibly.

Yup, what he said.

It depends on the car.

I drive all my RC like a girrrllll regardless if i have a 9T brush motor ( yes i am few years behind) or a 50T motor...slow..almost "static" slow. Just couldn't bear scratching my rc. The pain of damages is greater than the joy from running all out at full throtter.

I drive all my RC like a girrrllll regardless if i have a 9T brush motor ( yes i am few years behind) or a 50T motor...slow..almost "static" slow. Just couldn't bear scratching my rc. The pain of damages is greater than the joy from running all out at full throtter.

The HPI Savage is one that fits into that 'thrash the life out of it and it can take it' group of models. 75 Ltrs of nitro through mine. Driven like I stole it the whole way, and nothing more than normal wear. It's just gotten a refresh to replace some of the worn parts, bearings and a new body (the only part that really suffered). Ready for another 75 Ltrs of driving in anger.

Can't think of any Tamiyas I would put in the 'beat the life out of it' group. Maybe some Tamiyas in the 'driven fast but sensibly' group, but most in the 'too fragile' (and expensive/rare to obtain parts) group.

I drive off road and mostly try to keep it looking scale. I've come to accept the occasional damage as part of the hobby. I have a few cars that I hold back on but on the flip side I know what ones can be driven full throttle, are robust enough to survive or have spares that are available cheaply to not mind any breakages.

I don't have anything faster than a standard Tamiya silver can so that helps keep things under control.

Apart from my TT01 and DT02 race cars, and my DT01 basher, I try to stick to the 3-S rule with my cars even though they aren't what most people would consider collectable. Slow, Seldom and Sensible keeps repair bills low and allows the collection to grow. :D

• Like 1

Apart from my TT01 and DT02 race cars, and my DT01 basher, I try to stick to the 3-S rule with my cars even though they aren't what most people would consider collectable. Slow, Seldom and Sensible keeps repair bills low and allows the collection to grow. :D

Like your 3S rule. I thought i did the same with my hpi 240z after putting in the hrs of painting, decalings and adding strips lines to the dooors hood trunk... first outing going slow and the 1st turn caught the lip of an uneven pavement and she rolled on me. The thought that instantly filled my mind...kids were around. Overall wasn't much damage but i understood where the word "DAM"age came from:O.

Its a case of horses for courses with me . I bash the heck out of my brushless Blitzer and brushless FTX Carnage because parts are cheap as chips to replace . On the builds i have put a lot of time and effort into i take more care ie the blackfoot 4x4x4 that usually runs with quad bike body so i dont care about damage . On the one off custom bodys i have built i drive them seldom and very carefully . One thing i have learned is to have runner bodys and shelf/ show bodys . BUT i run everything . I hate shelf queens :lol:

When I got into this hobby about 99 I used to thrash the living badword out my cars as I've got older I still intend to drive them hard but in a more sensible manner that won't result in as many breakdowns.

I build all mine to run, albeit cautiously. If/when I come across some that are truly truly enjoyable to drive they'll be put into circulation but I doubt they'll see the abuse that I'd level at say, an HPI or Traxxas anything.

I've found that some of the kits I lusted after as a kid really were better as a hazy nostalgic vision than an actual drivable car. Hotshot and Frog, looking at you. Don't get me wrong, glad I bought and built 'em but... I always wanted a Frog and was a bit let down after actually driving it around. And as for the Hotshot, well.. it's obvious why they came out with the Supershot. That suspension, which always intrigued me, is flaccid and incapable even with super heavy damper oil.

But hey, everything gets a fair shake at being a driver. Some make it, and some end up on display as object lessons ;)

Everything I have gets run at least once. Some of them stay clean longer than others before their "big debut," and some go right back on the shelf after half a battery pack. But I have to see everything in motion under its own power at least once. It doesn't feel finished until I do. When I do drive them, I don't baby them, but I don't abuse them either. Put it this way: a car may, once during a run, end up on its roof, but if it does, I cringe and try not to let it happen again. And if something does get scratched, the scratch stays, to remind me not to do whatever it was I did to put it there.

I used to always have one "thrasher" that I tried all the crazy stuff with (the longest-lived was a Super Hornet), but honestly, I just don't see the appeal anymore. I have a couple cars now that could fill that role, but I've already done all that. And I'd rather drive an interesting-looking car modestly that thrash the life out of something ugly just because it's there.

I love the scale look of my cc01 and the way it drives with a 65 turn motor through the mud and along woodland trails. It gets muddy and scratched but thats all part of it. At yhe speeds she runs i dont imagine anything will break.

When i built my m03 fiat 500 and spent days on thebody i vowed it would stay nice. However wheb my 11yr old son brought and built his m05 mini our first outing turned into a fun but slightly abusive game of tap and spin chases resulting in cosmetic damage to both.

My thrasher is the hornet and it keeps on coming back for more.

Most enjoyable of them all though is slow and steady, in mud with my cc01!

Rich

Most of my runners are run hard. I like to push my cars to the limit. It's not thrashing them but driving them to my limits & the car.

The damage to cars are done when you stack it,barrel rolls & the worse is cartwheeling. I rarely do this as I have been driving r/c cars since 1984.

Some i drive with a little caution like my Big Wig but often test the track out first with a modern car to see where the hidden bumps are at speed. The most fun with cars of the vintage era have to be my Big Wig with a 13T brushless and my Avanti.

In my collection of shelf queens I try to have the same model as a runner. <_<

To me I enjoy my cars more to know that i drive them to their limits. Even my Fighter Buggy LOL