Sign in to follow this  
scalemotorcars

Whats the thread size on factory SRB shocks.

Sorry to bump.

I recently found some gold anodized 6mm aluminum tubes at a yard sale with the same unthreaded ID as the original shocks. I can turn the o-ring stop on the lathe but I suck at turning threads so I was hoping someone here knew the exact size and Ill just order the tap. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks...

If they're like other metal tamiya dampers you'll struggle to find a tap. They're a very fine pitch thread for the diameter of the tube.

They are metric 0.5 according to my thread gauge. Really fine pitch. I see taps and dies available at 6mm x 0.5 thread.

***EDIT: I did measure vintage SRB dampers. Don't know if they changed the threads on the re-re SRBs as I don't have one.

CRP told me the re-re's are a larger diameter- like 8mm (vintage coil over conversions they sell won't fit re-re shocks)

The 6mm x 0.5 sounds about right to me. I have thread gauges and came up with the same but wanted confirmation before ordering a tap. Ill post pic's in my stripped down SRB thread. Thanks everyone.