Sign in to follow this  
callisr

CC01 brick removed

Hi all,

I have had my Brat bodied CC01 for quite a while now and apart from run it, I haven't really done much to it. I decided to have a go at removing the brick though as it protruded past the wheels. Here are the results:

DSC02083-1.jpg

DSC02079.jpg

Hopefully you can see where I cut. I filled the void at the bottom of the chassis with part of the brick cut down to fit and glue in with abs cement. i then cut the ali plate and araldited it in place. seems secure so it will stay like that for now. Will paint it black so it will get scuffed and chipped just like the rest of the car!

Only other mod is a set of Kongs which are a vast improvement over the standard tyres and a good price too!

Rich

That looks far better . Makes a heck of a improvement to the approach angle . Its something i need to do on mine once i have the D90 body so i can eyeball it before getiing chop happy . Think i might incline the skid a bit more though so it will hopefully slide over any obstructions .

Yes I kind of wish I had left a bit more of an incline but what's done is done! It is a bit slopier than it looks in the picture due to the chassis pointing upwards slightly on the table.

I was surprised at how difficult it is to mark out cut lines etc and it took me a good while to work up the courage to make the first cut! Will build it up tonight and see how it looks.

I have been checking out the Junfac stuff.......mmmmmmm!!

Cheers,

Rich

Yes I kind of wish I had left a bit more of an incline but what's done is done! It is a bit slopier than it looks in the picture due to the chassis pointing upwards slightly on the table.

I was surprised at how difficult it is to mark out cut lines etc and it took me a good while to work up the courage to make the first cut! Will build it up tonight and see how it looks.

I have been checking out the Junfac stuff.......mmmmmmm!!

Cheers,

Rich

The other ideas i had are on my thread Rich . Front suspension hopup using TL-01LA parts and rear drop links . Just waiting on parts to arrive . The junfac 4 links and skid plate are excellent but finding stock is proving to be a problem .

Imho the front brick removal is the best improvement for XC/CC: it improves seriously the approach angle, the car looks much better and It's virtually costless. It brings XC/CC to an upper level.

I like the way you did it. This is mine: http://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom_model.asp?cid=111763&id=22640

My mistake was cutting off the mounting holes for Jero's body.

Imho no other more upgrades are necessary for the XC/CC: a set of rear links that allows to choose the wheelbase, ballbearings, quality front cvds and a good esc and motor. A Lot of the chinese upgrades made in alloy and in several colors that you will find on the Web are a waste of money (except rear links).

• Like 1

Imho the front brick removal is the best improvement for XC/CC: it improves seriously the approach angle, the car looks much better and It's virtually costless. It brings XC/CC to an upper level.

I like the way you did it. This is mine: http://www.tamiyaclu...111763&id=22640

My mistake was cutting off the mounting holes for Jero's body.

Imho no other more upgrades are necessary for the XC/CC: a set of rear links that allows to choose the wheelbase, ballbearings, quality front cvds and a good esc and motor. A Lot of the chinese upgrades made in alloy and in several colors that you will find on the Web are a waste of money (except rear links).

I agree . Most of it is just Bling . But improving the front suspension travel is wothwhile and that can be done with all Tamiya parts from other kits

Improving the total travel of an IFS rig with a good balance between down and up travel is difficult without heavy modifications. If you are going to swap to longer arms to gain air for bigger wheels it's ok but, imho, do not aspect miracles about travel.

So it is all back together now. I left the wheels and body as they were when i finished the last run in the woods (I think it looks cool!!) but everything underneath has had a clean and lube. Just remembered I haven't locked the front diff :angry: . I had even taken the gearbox apart to clean and grease it .......Doh!!

Anyway, pics.......

as rebuilt-

DSC02091.jpg

These show the improved approach angle and (in my eyes,) looks of the new front end-

DSC02090.jpg

DSC02086.jpg

DSC02084.jpg

I really don't like the front body posts. I kept them incase I decide to use the Toyota shell. I doubt I ever will use the shell tbh. As much as I like the Brat (its my fave shell ever) I think it looks too small on this chassis. Any ideas what shell (preferably a pick up) would look better / bigger?

Cheers,

Rich

So it is all back together now. I left the wheels and body as they were when i finished the last run in the woods (I think it looks cool!!) but everything underneath has had a clean and lube. Just remembered I haven't locked the front diff :angry: . I had even taken the gearbox apart to clean and grease it .......Doh!!

Anyway, pics.......

as rebuilt-

DSC02091.jpg

These show the improved approach angle and (in my eyes,) looks of the new front end-

DSC02090.jpg

DSC02086.jpg

DSC02084.jpg

I really don't like the front body posts. I kept them incase I decide to use the Toyota shell. I doubt I ever will use the shell tbh. As much as I like the Brat (its my fave shell ever) I think it looks too small on this chassis. Any ideas what shell (preferably a pick up) would look better / bigger?

Cheers,

Rich

That skid looks great with the body fitted . How about a Blackfoot body or Clod ??????

Improving the total travel of an IFS rig with a good balance between down and up travel is difficult without heavy modifications. If you are going to swap to longer arms to gain air for bigger wheels it's ok but, imho, do not aspect miracles about travel.

With the TL-01 LA arms conversion you gain approx 15mm extra travel up/down but only if you also fit longer dampers . I agree its not that much but i think its a worthwhile modification . Its fairy easy to do so i'll try it and see . Worst case is i go back to a stock setup

Goin to try a blackfoot extreme body later. Cant fit it properly because its my sons but I will rest it on the chassis to get an idea.

How much longer are the tl01 la arms?

Rich