JWeston

58577 Nova Fox

Take the brass spacers out of the front shock. That stretches the shock further out. Then put the ORIGINAL sway bar on. My Foxes are much more stable through corners and still give reasonable turning circle

Cheers

Looks like stock of the Nova Fox is getting harder to find... eBay scalpers already trying to ask over $300 for them. Is another batch coming, or is that it for this re-release?

- James

It's not a limited release so will be around for a year or two, its just the initial surge from those that have been awaiting its re release for years.

Right, so two observations 1/4th of the way through my Novafox build. I never had the original Fox (had the Frog instead), but have since built the re-release Hotshot, which I understand shares some design principles.

1) Unlike the original (I had the scans of the Fox manual open out of curiosity), no instructions to grease the various pins and joints in the front arms. I suppose this is because Tamiya has decided the lubrication attracts dirt and grit, wearing down the parts? Wonder if this is a decision they've made across the board?

2) Coming from a Frog, the sealed chassis of the Fox is really quite shocking -- at least six screws to open it up, and they don't seem like they would handle repeated use very well. How did people deal with this back in the 80s, when changing out a radio crystal was a frequent occurrence?

Those critiques aside, am enjoying the Hotshot-esque solidity of the chassis, especially when paired with the lower complexity and weight of a 2WD design....

Many people made a big hole on top of the chassis.

Also on the Hot Shot/Super Shot chassis.

Max

• Like 1

Yep the Hotshot and Fox don't share many similarities beyond the front mono shock and the HotShot's semi sealed chassis.

Interesting about the improved steering throw. I might have to pick up a NovaFox chassis for my Fox Runner.

Right, so two observations 1/4th of the way through my Novafox build. I never had the original Fox (had the Frog instead), but have since built the re-release Hotshot, which I understand shares some design principles.

1) Unlike the original (I had the scans of the Fox manual open out of curiosity), no instructions to grease the various pins and joints in the front arms. I suppose this is because Tamiya has decided the lubrication attracts dirt and grit, wearing down the parts? Wonder if this is a decision they've made across the board?

2) Coming from a Frog, the sealed chassis of the Fox is really quite shocking -- at least six screws to open it up, and they don't seem like they would handle repeated use very well. How did people deal with this back in the 80s, when changing out a radio crystal was a frequent occurrence?

Those critiques aside, am enjoying the Hotshot-esque solidity of the chassis, especially when paired with the lower complexity and weight of a 2WD design....

I was the same and only had the Frog not Fox, was never tempted by the Fox till the reissue came out and I've just had one arrive - looking forward to the build as will be new experience for me.

Stella have the NovaFox again , But it comes with ESC ( TBLE-02S) Brushless motor !.

WooHoo .... Not a bad deal $140. Great job Stella ..

Do I understand correctly that the kit comes with the newer brushed/brushless combo ESC, but still with a brushed motor?

yeah silvercan 540 as we all love

T should offer a cheap $20 brushless to replace the Sport Tuned :)

last batch about Xmas time came with TEU105

must've issued another batch of NovaFox recently, I'm seeing reappearance of some parts lately

Stella Had just listed the novafox when i posted last night .

So it's the new batch , with new ESC .

That is great & i'm hoping that they all come out with this

setup . One of the better moves Mr T has done .

TBLE02 feels a bit bigger than TEU105 though.... I should get both into same room to compare

TBLE02 feels a bit bigger than TEU105 though.... I should get both into same room to compare

Well one would say so , it's got an extra wire :P:lol: ..

I'm sure they will be bigger , as most brushless ESC are biggish .

Not too sure on turn ltd on both BL/ B motors ?.

How is the Nova Fox to run? Is it fiddly and maintenance heavy? I've become a bit annoyed lately with my Boomerang as a runner and am just curious about the Fox and issues, problems, known flaws, etc.

It is a beautiful buggy and I always wanted one, but now that I'm thinking about buying one I'd just like to know what I'm getting myself into. If this thing is basically a 2wd Boomerang, I might be better off with something else...?

Thoughts? Problems you've encountered? Unabashed fans despite any flaws?

Nice build, classic 80's 2WD buggy. Fitted bearings all round and a HPI Saturn 20 turn brushed motor. It is a quick buggy but not the best handling even with the new design sway bar. I fitted an original vintage hop up sway bar and the handling was improved. If you decide to fit a non kit standard motor you'll have to make some extension cables from the esc to the motor leads.

When all said and done it's a lovely looking buggy.

Steve.

Yeah, I've seen those long motor leads and read other comments about them. I rather figured on just unsoldering them and re-soldering them onto a new Sport Tuned, which is plenty fast for me. I've also read that the sway bar is basically useless, but I hadn't heard that the old hop-up one was better, so thanks! Good to know. What was the brand and are they rare as hen's teeth now?

Yeah, I've seen those long motor leads and read other comments about them. I rather figured on just unsoldering them and re-soldering them onto a new Sport Tuned, which is plenty fast for me. I've also read that the sway bar is basically useless, but I hadn't heard that the old hop-up one was better, so thanks! Good to know. What was the brand and are they rare as hen's teeth now?

That's exactly what I did. :P

20140404_203355_zpshosnutk8.jpg

Hi I fitted the vintage Tamiya fox swaybar. Last year I had three sets from a seller in Spain cost me around £25 each. I fitted one to my Nova Fox and sold the other two. They still come up on ebay from time to time.

Steve.

Hi guys, i'm new to the forum, i'm from milan italy, and i already have a question for you. About one week ago, i was racing with my novafox in a track near milan, and suddenly when the car was passing under the driver's station, suddenly started to make a very bad noise, like putting some stones in a mixer aahahhaha (maybe someone have tried in his life as well as me!!!). So i immediatly did return to the box, and after i have disassembled the entire gearbox, without having found any broken gearing or tooth and any bearing, and disassembling the engine (superstock RZ) idem without having found any broken or loosed mechanism, and re-assembled the all thing up, me and my friend/mechanic, couldn't get on top of the problem that after one week still persists. I repeat nothing broken in the gearing or the engine. Anybody knows what's happening ? Anybody has ever had this problem ?

Thanks a lot

Stefano

I'm not a NovaFox owner, but f it's not the gear mesh, the gears inside the diff or sand/stones in the gears, then I think you should check your bearings are still in good condition (including those of the motor). If it's also not that, the Superstock RZ is a brushed motor, they're sensitive to dirt and dust, so I think you might want to check the condition of your brushes and commutator.

ok appears that NovaFox re-appearance will keep same kit # 58577 expected release 2/3/17

RRP is JPY19,800 (... hangon, that's dearer than 4WD Boomerang 16,800?!?!! :blink:)

40 minutes ago, WillyChang said:

ok appears that NovaFox re-appearance will keep same kit # 58577 expected release 2/3/17

Yes, it will. That's why I didn't add it here when I added the Neo Scorcher Blue Metallic that Tamiya announced simultaneously.

New releases

Novafox are in stock at tamico.de right now. A bit expensive though.

• Like 1

On 06/02/2017 at 7:07 PM, Klausen said:

Novafox are in stock at tamico.de right now. A bit expensive though.

Excuse my last post, wasn't looking in the correct section.

Woohoo....have placed an order.  Thank you so much for the heads up.  

Are there any recommended shocks to upgrade the Novafox with? What are the dimensions for the front shock, and rear shocks? Cheers.