As we know, Tamiya are soon to release the buggy version of their new TT-02 chassis. I thought it might be interesting to start this thread so that those who are interested could discuss their hopes and expectations, as well as share any new information as it becomes available.

For me it will be interesting to see, as I owned a DF01, I currently own a DF02, and to me the TT02B is more of a DF02 successor than the DF03 because it has a touring car equivalent like the DF01/TA01 and DF02/TT01 pairings. (I don't really think of the DF03RA as a touring car.)

However I do have some concerns about it. The DF02, while having a lot of parts in common with the TT01, has its own tub design which permits the use of metal hinge pins, covers the driveshaft, etc. The TT02B seems to share the same tub as the touring car. Now there are ways to implement metal hinge pins on this tub - using inserts for example. I just hope Tamiya have realised the need to do so, and aren't thinking that plastic moulded hinge pins will survuve on a beginners' basher buggy.

Also, anyone care to weigh in as to anticipated bodyshell designs? Do we think we might see a modernised Terra Scorcher? Or at least something that shares a few styling cues?

Looking forward to everyone's views...

Will be interesting to see if the B version has metal bevel gears for the crown wheel / pinion for the diffs, or if the plastic gears of the touring car are re-used.

I was just about to get a DF02 but I'll now wait for the 'Neo Scorcher'. I'll probably dive straight in and get one regardless.

I have a DB01 and a DB02 and fancy something which is less of an headache so this should hopefully fit the bill.

(Never fancied the DF03)

I forgot about the Terra Scorcher - here i've been thinking it was going to have a VW Bug body.

My first reaction was also to think of the Sand Scorcher - it would be really cool to see some sort of Baja Beetle-inspired vehicle being released on a modern chassis. However with the Sand Scorcher and Blitzer Beetle re-res still out there, I doubt Tamiya see this as a priority.

The DF02 is a great little basher buggy, simple and strong. I hope that this one follows in its footsteps, and that Tamiya add the necessary reinforcements. Although if they don't, there always seem to be after-market parts suppliers willing to fill gaps in the market.

Another point of concern is the kick-up, or rather the lack thereof. That is another area where the DF02 benefitted from having a different tub to the TT01, allowing the front suspension to be set at an angle more suited to buggy use. Although come to think of it, it isn't necessarily a killer defect if this isn't the case - the TL01B handled quite nicely despite its flat front suspension arms.

Assuming reasonable pricing and design, I might just get one. I was planning on a second DF02 with the Aero Avante shell, until I saw one in the flesh and found myself severely underwhelmed by the styling. Perhaps this will be worth a go?

thanks for the update GregM , looks nice, C-hub front suspension , looks like it has metal hinge pins outboard so may have them inboard too. the oil shocks are most welcome , really does look like a great starter buggy :)

Not too shabby! I quite like the shell, which seems to be giving a nod to the current cab-forward trend, without making the whole thing look hideous by putting an indentation behind the cockpit. I think it looks quite heavily inspired by the Rising Storm. I don't see much of a Terra Scorcher resemblance though.

We seem to be seeing the anticipated plastic outdrives and driveshafts as seen before on the lower-spec DT02 models, along with hubs and knuckles carried over from the DF02, or at least strongly inspired by them. Hopefully there will be higher-spec metal options available as with the DT02/DF02 models.

Still no news on the inner hinge pins though...

Yes ! For sure I will sell my DF03`s and get a couple of the TT-02B`s instead.

Not..

Yes ! For sure I will sell my DF03`s and get a couple of the TT-02B`s instead.

Not..

why not sell them and buy a nova fox , judging by the reactions for the re re news its the best rc car ever made :lol:;)

why not sell them and buy a nova fox , judging by the reactions for the re re news its the best rc car ever made :lol:;)

Awww come on now, all us Fox guys are just stoked to have 'new' spares which won't break the bank. TT-02B looks pretty cool though!

• Like 1

Awww come on now, all us Fox guys are just stoked to have 'new' spares which won't break the bank. TT-02B looks pretty cool though!

just kidding :lol: , i know all you Fox lovers are ready to have an aneurysm at the news of the re re , ;):)

• Like 1

Ha! Well, I did have to bring 3 pairs of pants/underwear to work with me today as I keep having accidents due to my excitement.

• Like 3

Ha! Well, I did have to bring 3 pairs of pants/underwear to work with me today as I keep having accidents due to my excitement.

:lol: :lol:

Not too shabby! I quite like the shell, which seems to be giving a nod to the current cab-forward trend, without making the whole thing look hideous by putting an indentation behind the cockpit. I think it looks quite heavily inspired by the Rising Storm. I don't see much of a Terra Scorcher resemblance though.

We seem to be seeing the anticipated plastic outdrives and driveshafts as seen before on the lower-spec DT02 models, along with hubs and knuckles carried over from the DF02, or at least strongly inspired by them. Hopefully there will be higher-spec metal options available as with the DT02/DF02 models.

Still no news on the inner hinge pins though...

I think it's got a little bit of Leonis in the styling which is no bad thing in my book..

Well, I don't appreciate the bodyshell design of the TT-02B Neo Scorcher. But how about simply putting a touring car shell on it, shouldn't be that hard to do if the wheelbase stays true to the TT-02 and the rear shock tower won't get in the way?

A similar idea was Jang's J-Spec racing class:

http://www.ultimaterc.com/misc/j-spec/

I tried the touring car shell approach with a TL01B a while ago, but didn't like it - either the shell had to be mounted too high, the suspension travel had to be limited, or the arches had to be cut too big, otherwise the wheels rubbed.

However I am pretty sure Tamiya will release alternative shells for the TT-02B. These days it is pretty unusual for any of their hobby-grade chassis to have only one bodyshell option.

IMO touring shells on buggies are ,,,ermmm ,,, silly , but i guess that one of the great things about this hobby, you can do what you like,

i was thinking an HPI savage landrover or CJ7 shell with some 1.9" scale crawler wheels would make a great looking shredder .

The Jang"s J-spec buggies looks great.

Looks like the tamiya vintage rally buggies series in the form of Lancia & Opel models.

I hope Tamiya can replicate this series again.

I wonder if the central shaft of the TT-02B will be fully sealed (unlike shown on the prototype picture above) just as the DF-02 was. If yes, this chassis may be a cheap option for rallye conversions.

I know these chunky plastic/metal pin suspension driveshafts and cups from the more basic DT-02 variants. They do fine enough, but they limit the suspension travel slightly more than their optional full metal counterparts.

I rather hope they do seal it. I run a TT01-based rally car, and small stones getting stuck between the tub and propshaft was one of the issues I had to overcome during development. After trying different propshaft cover designs, I in the end opted for a full tub cover made of fabric.

Perhaps Tamiya are hoping that a tight-fitting bodyshell will keep stones from entering the tub, thus negating the need for propshaft cover? I hope they realise that this won't be a foolproof solution - stones are sneaky little things that always seem to find a way in somehow.

New picture of the TT-02B Neo Scorcher:

tamiya-shizuoka-fair-19jsq.jpg

Do I see yellow C.V.A. oil shocks coming back for regular new releases? But this time with a long yellow damper base? These do not look like the yellow friction shocks of the Super Fighter GR.

They do look shinier than the old CVAs though, looks like a harder, more brittle plastic. Doesn't look half bad for a modern buggy, but the chassis looks rather narrow. How am I going to fit a 4000mah 3S in it ???