After reviewing the manual (thanks taffer for letting us know it was up), I have to say the chassis looks like a nice strong entry level basher. I like the body styling and decals even though I've never liked the recent cab-forward designs. The oil shocks are a definite plus. The one minus for me is the plastic diff gears, but I've never used them before. As others have already said, hop ups will be plentiful and I may take advantage. This kit is on my buy list.

As far as I've heard, the bevel gears in the TT-02 differential are supposed to be made of some reinforced plastic.

Funny side note: The Grasshopper's diff gears are plastic too, and I think you all know how much abuse it takes to break them (admittedly they are very large compared to other 1/10th scale diff gears and of a tall module).

EDIT: One thing I do not appreciate are the TT-02 & TT-02B steering posts. They are not supported by bearings and it looks like they can't be made to use them. This will cause excessive wear on the plastic links surrounding the posts, as soon as dirt finds its way between these moving parts.

This is the same problem the TT-01 had (thus a lot of 3rd party alloy steering sets had been sold), while the TT-01E is able to hold bearings for the steering assembly right from the start.

Manual now available to download from tamiya usa!

Thanks for the notification, here's the link to the Neo Scorcher product page and manual download:

http://www.tamiyausa.com/items/radio-control-kits-30/off-road-buggies-36450/rc-neo-scorcher-58568

I see two suspiciously unused screw holes on each diff housing, that appear perfectly positioned to take a chassis brace/upper deck. My guess is that Tamiya plan on waiting until they have sold enough TT02s, then bringing out a TT02E with upper brace and bushing-supported steering, so that everyone will want to trade their old TT02s in for the new version, or at least go out and buy the sprues needed for the conversion, much like they did with the TT01.

The two unused pairs of holes on the TT-02B are used to fix the upper arm mounts for the TT-02 touring car variant (which has plastic shafts molded into the arms just like the TT-01/-01E). The TT-02B uses a more traditional arm design with simple upper links and lower A-arms with metal shafts (U-rod brace), just like the DF-02.

EDIT: From what I can see, the DF-02 has a sealed chamber for the main shaft, while the TT-02B's main shaft is not protected against dirt and stones.

EDIT2: Did I say sealed? Sorry, no it isn't. The DF-02's main shaft is just protected from the top, while it is open to the bottom side of the chassis.

EDIT3: Please see Speedy's post below.

The DF02 main shaft has a bottom cover screwed into the chassis tub; it encloses and protects the shaft against dirt/pebbles/etc. See step 3 of the DF02 manual.

• Like 1

The two unused pairs of holes on the TT-02B are used to fix the upper arm mounts for the TT-02 touring car variant (which has plastic shafts molded into the arms just like the TT-01/-01E).

Ah yes, so they are. Still doesn't preclude the fitment of a brace though. It could go on top of the upper arm mounts on the TT-02 touring car just like it does on the TT-01, or make use of spacers when fitted to the TT-02B.

I've been waiting for the Neo Scorcher to arrive here in the USA via Tower Hobbies so I can place an order (or pre-order), but they still don't have a product page for it. Normally Tower creates a product page for pre-orders a few weeks after product announcement. The product page should have been created by now.

The TamiyaUSA website says "see your local hobby store", so apparently kits are shipping to distributors and hobby stores.

The usual Hong Kong sellers have it in stock.

I sent an email to Tower asking if they plan on stocking it.

As a follow-up to my previous post, Tower replied to my inquiry about the availability of the Neo Scorcher. The answer was completely ambiguous and non-committal, so don't expect to be able to purchase the Neo Scorcher through Tower anytime soon.

That's odd. Here in the UK most of the popular online retailers have them available for pre-order, due to arrive on 1 September. I am sorely tempted to put my name down for one...

Yeah, well now I have to eat my words. The Neo Scorcher is available for pre-order at Tower. Maybe my email kicked someone into adding it to the Tower database, or maybe it was already in the pipeline. The price is rather high, which is normal for when a Tamiya kit is first added to Tower's database. It should settle to around 65% of the $215 MSRP which is $140. Another $20 off using a SSC coupon should make it $120 including shipping. I'll wait to see what the price does. Stella has it for $131 including shipping to USA.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXDUYL&P=7

I acquired one from my local hobby shop for $150, but heard online it goes for almost less than half that...

That's odd. Here in the UK most of the popular online retailers have them available for pre-order, due to arrive on 1 September. I am sorely tempted to put my name down for one...

Actually, they are in stock with suppliers - I have one arriving at the end of this week (hopefully), I bought it through Fusion Hobbies who says their supplier has them.

Fusion are selling at £105 which undercuts the other big names by around £25 which is quite a big savings (around 20%).

I'll keep you posted if and when it turns up..

Actually, they are in stock with suppliers - I have one arriving at the end of this week (hopefully), I bought it through Fusion Hobbies who says their supplier has them.

Fusion are selling at £105 which undercuts the other big names by around £25 which is quite a big savings (around 20%).

I'll keep you posted if and when it turns up..

Dave - I'd be interest to hear how the Neo shell sits on the DB-01 chassis - it might have a bot more scope underneath for square pack lipos and cooling fans ?

I've done a little searching on the 'bay and I can see plenty of TT02 Hop-Up's - am I right in assuming some of these will fit straight onto the Neo Scorcher, like the ally prop shaft, spur shaft, ally steering etc?

Also, I notice that the TT02 bearing set differs from the TT02B in that the 02 has three differnt types of bearings 4 x BB1, 4 x BB2 and 8 x BB3, whereas the 02B has just two types - 4 x BB1 and 12 x BB2.

Why so??

Also, I notice that the TT02 bearing set differs from the TT02B in that the 02 has three differnt types of bearings 4 x BB1, 4 x BB2 and 8 x BB3, whereas the 02B has just two types - 4 x BB1 and 12 x BB2.

Why so??

I noticed that, too - the TT-02B only needs 1150 bearings for the wheels and driveshaft, accounting for the 12 (two for each wheel and four for the driveshaft), while the gearbox uses 1280 bearings for the differential gears, accounting for the 4.

It seems that the TT-02 has smaller hub carriers than the TT-02B, understandably so since the latter is built to handle off-road terrain and would require larger parts. So the four different bearings (1050-size) are actually used for the hub carriers where on the TT-02B, 1150-sized units are used. This is why the 02 has three bearing types (1050, 1150, and 1280) while the 02B has only two (1150 and 1280).

• Like 1

I noticed that, too - the TT-02B only needs 1150 bearings for the wheels and driveshaft, accounting for the 12 (two for each wheel and four for the driveshaft), while the gearbox uses 1280 bearings for the differential gears, accounting for the 4.

It seems that the TT-02 has smaller hub carriers than the TT-02B, understandably so since the latter is built to handle off-road terrain and would require larger parts. So the four different bearings (1050-size) are actually used for the hub carriers where on the TT-02B, 1150-sized units are used. This is why the 02 has three bearing types (1050, 1150, and 1280) while the 02B has only two (1150 and 1280).

Thanks Grastens. Does anyone know about the TT02 hop-ups as per my previous post?

in stock with MSUK now according to their facebook.

http://www.modelsport.co.uk/tamiya-neo-scorcher-buggy-tt-02b-/rc-car-products/376210

It's still £15 more expensive than at one of it's main competetors, and even cheaper if you have the discount code - I got mine for £100 delivered including a can of PS16, the same deal at Modelsport will set you back nearly £125!

Looks like the Zakspeed Capri is coming .

◇ RC Zakspeed Capri Gr.5 Würth (TT-02/XB)

58578 Ford Zakspeed Capri Gr.5 Wurth (TT-02)

Why does that link say 2 sets of DF03 shocks are required? Typo or are only the rears used from each set or something?

That's got to be a mistake, you should just need one set of 4, unless the TT-02B uses 4 fronts or 4 rear sized shocks all around. That could get expensive.

I think that link is missing other TT02 hop-ups that are compatible with the TT02B.

For example, the TT02 Aluminum Propeller Shaft (52501) and TT02 Aluminum Propeller Joint (52502) and TT02 High Speed Gear Set 68T (54500).