Sign in to follow this  
njmlondon

Paint it black...

I am going to be painting a boxster shell soon and am thinking about leaving in convertable state so I will have a black roof instead of the hardtop. The only problem is i want the roof to be matt and not shiny.

My ideas are:

a) just paint it on the outside - polycarbonate paint will be matt anyway

B) paint it black inside and then paint the outside with clear matt

c)... run out of ideas.

Has anybody else successfully done this and made it look good???

I would paint the out side of the body with polycabonate spray.

If it's for a runner shell, the paint on the roof might be easily damaged, especially when you flip it...

I was thinking of doing the same with a Boxter as well (making it have a softtop). Now only to get a Boxter one day... [;)]

Get some fabric and glue it to the roof so it looks like a real soft top!....this was meant as a joke....but if your good at that sort of thing and you can get the right fabric, it might actually look pretty cool [8D]

Tamiya PS5 paint will not appear "matt" on the outside, as its a gloss effect spray.

I have done the same on my Honda S2000 and used PC5 brush on to very good effect.

quote:Originally posted by BeetleMeister

Get some fabric and glue it to the roof so it looks like a real soft top!....this was meant as a joke....but if your good at that sort of thing and you can get the right fabric, it might actually look pretty cool [8D]

id="quote">id="quote">

Would have to be a realy fine fabric to look scale though.

quote:Get some fabric and glue it to the roof so it looks like a real soft top!....this was meant as a joke....but if your good at that sort of thing and you can get the right fabric, it might actually look pretty cool
id="quote">id="quote">

I am unfortunately a cretin when it comes to that sort of thing and I know that if I tried it I would end up with a car that looked like it was wearing a beret! [:I]

quote:Originally posted by Tamiya UK
quote:Originally posted by BeetleMeister

id="quote">id="quote">

Would have to be a realy fine fabric to look scale though.

id="quote">id="quote">

Natural silk (not the shiny one) would do... Or you can just pay a visit to any decent model store, they are very useful for this sort of tips. You would also have to use the appropriate glue.

Try Pactra polycarbonate paint, that dries with a semi matt finish. Alternatively cut the roof off and fit HPIs interior set, from their BMW Z3 body.

quote:Originally posted by njmlondon

I am unfortunately a cretin when it comes to that sort of thing and I know that if I tried it I would end up with a car that looked like it was wearing a beret! [:I]

id="quote">id="quote">

...might have to rename yourself ***paris then... [;)]

If you can find a place that does this, get the roof sandblasted (externally).

If you use fine grain at low pressure, you'll get the look you desire.

It's just like using an airbrush[;)]

Cheers,

Alex