Fixit

Blackfoot Body Street Truck Project.

This is a project that’s been distracting me from other things for a while now, thought it was about time I built it and got the idea into practice.

Picked up the Blackfoot III body and some HPI vintage wheels from Ebay a while back, here’s a couple of shots of the mock up....

Mock_001_zps6ad7c13c.jpg

Mock_002_zps8b15cfa1.jpg

Rather than just drop this over an M chassis or something I’m going to build the chassis from scratch, It will run a live axle at the rear and double wishbone front end. I fitted the 6mm offset rear wheels to the rear axle on my Tamiya big rig and it turns out that the overall width is spot on for the body and the diff case has 12mm of ground clearance, just waiting for some parts so I can build up an axle using spares (rather than pinch it of my Aeromax... tempting though).

Made a double wishbone set up from various spares for the front, pleased with how they turned out....

Arms_001_zps38b627ed.jpg

Arms_002_zps6de81ce7.jpg

Found a suitable gearbox among some boat spares, shortened the shaft and added some ball bearings and I’ve got a nice gearbox. The final gear ratio from motor to wheels works out about 10:1, may need to play with this once its running....

Gearbox_001_zps9fa11d0f.jpg

Thought about building a scale truck chassis but in the end decided to go with something new, the chassis will be a upper/lower plate design similar to the typical touring car chassis with two differences, the rear of the lower plate will sweep up and meet the upper plate to accommodate the live axle and front end will be adjustable in length. Getting some drawings together at the moment, will post them up when I’m done.

• Like 1

Looks awesome so far!

By the way, what's the decal you have on the rear side of the bed cover?

Mock up pics look great. Live rear axle and double wishbone frontend... I know building the chassis from scratch is rewarding but have you tried it on a CC01 chassis?

Cheers for the comments...

@mr crispy

Yeah, the CC01was one idea, would still need to run the truck axle as the CC01 axle is too wide. Not sure about the front end width either, the overall front end width needs to be no more than 155mm including the wheels, looking to get that narrow drag racer look then I can run it low like the mock up.

Also, the chassis will have a module front end, then I can adjust the length and use the same design on other street projects.

Cheers for the comments...

@mr crispy

Yeah, the CC01was one idea, would still need to run the truck axle as the CC01 axle is too wide. Not sure about the front end width either, the overall front end width needs to be no more than 155mm including the wheels, looking to get that narrow drag racer look then I can run it low like the mock up.

Also, the chassis will have a module front end, then I can adjust the length and use the same design on other street projects.

TA-02 might be a good choice, cause it's narrower than the CC01.

Thought about the TA02, TT01, M-Chassis... wanted to go live axle at the rear so the choice of chassis off the shelf was limited. Looked at using some parts from other chassis too, lower arms etc. but width is a problem.

The body is around 170mm rear and 160mm front, inside the wheel arches. Need to keep the axle width narrow so I can run it low, I'm happy with the custom front arms and look forward to building the chassis.

Oh and that decal is just one of the Blackfoot III decals, all decals will be going as the body will be detailed and painted, got a nice idea for hidden body mounts too.