Sign in to follow this  
slinky2000

My Brushless Lunchbox Build Thread

I suppose this story started off in about 1990 when I got a Tamiya Bearhawk as a kid and I loved it. I drove it into a lake and abused it like there was no tomorrow! I was in the toy shop a few months later and I seen the Lunchbox and the promotional video playing above it, I wanted one of them!!

I never got one until 2009 when I bought one and built it myself, took me a few evenings but I got there, brought it out to the beach the next say....... and boy was I underwhelmed! (Sorry about the quality!)

Not as fast as I remember!

So I painted it up but never really played around with it for the next 3 years, it kinda just sat there and gathered dust. Until I got bored one weekend and decided enough was enough.

First off was an upgraded engine, I settled on the 23t Supersport BZ as I knew nothing about engines, ESC's, batteries etc.

Now we're getting somewhere! So now I caught the bug, Over the last few months I went and bought/installed:

2.4ghz W6 Ansmann Racing system

75mm Ansmann Racing Oil filled shocks all round.

75mm Ansmann Racing 5th shock

Ball bearings all round.

foam Tyre Inserts

Glued Tyres to Rims

Ansmann Racing Waterproof Steering servo

2 * 4000mAh NiMH Ansmann Racing Batteries

So I took it out for a spin and it felt great, so much smoother and handled (almost) like a dream.

I eventually got bored of the BZ motor and wanted badly a brushless system. As I knew nothing about these I wanted to go with an EZRun system but my friend recommended a Etronix Photon 2.0 9t system. I went ahead and ordered it and I just installed it. Fingers crossed it goes as well as it looks, I'm waiting for the batteries to charge right about now.

I think the other things left to do if the system matches my expectations are:

Wheelie Bar Upgrade of some sort

Some sort of lipo Battery

Strut Braces

Alloy body mounts

Futaba-FX10 front end conversion

Here's some pictures!

8672160348_8d8954efb9_z.jpg

8672160276_bbbd4965e8_z.jpg

8671058065_1e3c493209_z.jpg

8671057951_7e30ecd817_z.jpg

8672160022_c9ba83f189_z.jpg

8671057743_e6349817bd_z.jpg

8671057627_091059cae8_z.jpg

8672159596_b41a91c4c8_z.jpg

8672159728_d10025baef_z.jpg

The FX10 mod is probably the best thing you can do to a Lunchbox but I would also recommend centring the steering servo at the same time. The difference these two mods make to the handling is like night and day and you are going to need as much handling as possible with a brushless setup . Looking forward to seeing a video as brushless is the next mod I'm doing on my Lunchbox.

Well she lastest a whole 30 seconds on my first run before I broke a plastic end on the front right shock. I might have to invest in alloy shock ends if there is suck a thing. I think this brushless set up might be a bit much for the little truck to handle. Any sort of turn at speed will see this girl go flying head over heals!

This is with 4000mAh NiMh batteries too. I don't think ill bother going Lipo after seeing it run. A FX10 has to be my next mod.

[media=]

[/media]

The FX10 mod will sort the turning at speed out. I would also invest in some Pro-Line foam tyre inserts too.

Definitely seemed more controllable with the Superstock BZ motor! 9 turn motor might need tuning down a bit! Goes well otherwise though.

I'm thinking of getting an etronix photon brushless system for my Blackfoot, once I've sorted the chassis so it can take the power. Can't decide between 10 turn or 12 turn.

I've gotta say it does look a bit extreme having a 9T in a Lunchie, I was thinking more 12T in mine but I may go 10T for a laugh!

• Like 1

Maybe a bigger wheelie bar would help... something like a dragster :)

• Like 1