ddaenen1

Avante 2001 replacement parts

I just obtained a nice Avante 2001. It will need some TLC but the main things that are missing is the front stabiliser bar and the brackets. I have found the brackets but i can't find the stablizer bar. Does the 2011 version also fit as this i can find.

Secondly, the battery holder (N-parts) is missing anyone know what i can use to replace this? Is it the same as on the TA01?

Last but not least, i noticed a normal stick pack doesn't fit the 2001. Is there any fix for this?

Only Vanquish, Egress & 2001 front sway-bar is "correct". Avante 1988/2011 bar will fit though (but functionally useless).

You can easily make your own sway bars from 1.50/2.00mm steel wire rod available from hobby shops - the manual template is 95% accurate for size in the majority of the Tamiya manuals

For battery stopper N2 buy the Vajra N parts sprue - part number 19115329 / 9115329

this may be special order from Tamiya Japan but at least you can now get spares thanks to vajra release last year !

traditional rounded stick packs do fit, but some packs are a few mm longer than others so it does vary a little.

Only Vanquish, Egress & 2001 front sway-bar is "correct". Avante 1988/2011 bar will fit though (but functionally useless).

And me lucky guy just found a Vanquish pressed parts bag on fleabay for few pounds :)

Yeah my ansmann 3000mah fits 'snugly' but I can imagine some not fitting as it is tight.

For battery stopper N2 buy the Vajra N parts sprue - part number 19115329 / 9115329

this may be special order from Tamiya Japan but at least you can now get spares thanks to vajra release last year !

traditional rounded stick packs do fit, but some packs are a few mm longer than others so it does vary a little.

I have tried to look this up but not really successful! Can you give me some leads where to get it?

As for the battery, i think i will convert the upper and bottom hole of the post that blocks my lipo pack from going in to a slotted hole of about 7 to 10mm that will allow me to adjust it depending on the battery pack i put in - i like the idea, if i have to say it myself :)

Last but not least, i have noticed that on the ball connectors on the front side (E3 in the original manual) is not the correct one in length. Does anybody know where i would be able to get that one as the E-parts are not really easy to find.

Thanks for the help.

You will need to contact a Tamiya parts seller and ask for a special order for the Vajra part sprue. If there is no-one on Belgium then www.tamico.de or modellbau-seidel should be able to help you out.

E3 i think from recollection are stock 5mm adjusters - they come in various part numbers but Tamiya 50381 is a good parts bag to buy as it also has the blue 6mm adjusters used on the Egress. I bought from this Turkish seller and got very quick delivery to the UK..

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item4608fa1be1

You will need to contact a Tamiya parts seller and ask for a special order for the Vajra part sprue. If there is no-one on Belgium then www.tamico.de or modellbau-seidel should be able to help you out.

Thanks, i will contact Seidel. I order there alot of stuff and they have very good prices.

E3 i think from recollection are stock 5mm adjusters - they come in various part numbers but Tamiya 50381 is a good parts bag to buy as it also has the blue 6mm adjusters used on the Egress. I bought from this Turkish seller and got very quick delivery to the UK..

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item4608fa1be1

And there is where the problem lies. The front ball ends from the Avante 2001 are 5mm but for 4mm threaded shafts where all the standard ones are for 3mm shafts. The ends are also a hex instead of the usual shape

Thanks, i will contact Seidel. I order there alot of stuff and they have very good prices.

And there is where the problem lies. The front ball ends from the Avante 2001 are 5mm but for 4mm threaded shafts where all the standard ones are for 3mm shafts. The ends are also a hex instead of the usual shape

I may have some old ones from a Vanquish - let me have a look see tomorrow

The FRONT upper links are actually not ball ends on the 2001. They just sit on brass tubes held down with screws, and use 4mm threaded rods (same parts as stock Vanquish). The front steering tie-rods are 5mm ball ends with 3mm rods (same as Vanquish but longer). The rear upper links are 6mm ball ends with 4mm rods (same part as Vanquish I think).

You can use the 6mm blue (egress) or gray (Dyna Storm) rod ends. But both of those use the 3mm threaded rods. You could also use turnbuckles instead of rods if you get the correct length.

You can also opt for an extra pair of black rear Vanquish/2001 rod ends which use 6mm balls and 4mm shafts for the front upper link. That is fun especially when you use the Avante Titanum 4mm rod hop-up. This is what i used front & rear on my Vanquish Evo. The steering rods are always 5mm balls w/ 3mm rods.

D20_0092.jpg

You can also opt for an extra pair of black rear Vanquish/2001 rod ends which use 6mm balls and 4mm shafts for the front upper link. That is fun especially when you use the Avante Titanum 4mm rod hop-up. This is what i used front & rear on my Vanquish Evo. The steering rods are always 5mm balls w/ 3mm rods.

This you need to explain to me. Do you mean to mount the Avante 2011 rods on the 2001 or am i missing it? I look all evening to find which rod ends the one on the 2001 resemble but no luck so far.

I may have some old ones from a Vanquish - let me have a look see tomorrow

That would ofcourse be much appreciated.

Now i do have another question: i am planning to to mount the hi-cap dampers front and rear. I already ordered the #84300 front ones (Seidel had them in stock at a fair price - unlike the prices on fleabay) but although i am reading everywhere they are fully compatible with the older release of the hi-caps i do not read anywhere wether you can keep your old FRP front damper stay or you need to switch to the one that comes with the dampers. I am asking this as it seems like a big hassle getting the body on and off with the new damper support that is included with 84300.

The carbon fibre tower that's included with the rete hi cap dampers is for use on the svante 2011. Use the tower you already have for the 2001 variant.

And good luck finding 84301 rear dampers for reasonable money !

This you need to explain to me. Do you mean to mount the Avante 2011 rods on the 2001 or am i missing it? I look all evening to find which rod ends the one on the 2001 resemble but no luck so far.

No, no 2011 parts. I'm talking about putting a set of E4 rod ends from the Vanquish/2001 E-Parts tree onto the front. Though I didn't realize how expensive this parts tree is now. May as well buy 2011 alloy rod ends for that kind of money.

The carbon fibre tower that's included with the rete hi cap dampers is for use on the svante 2011. Use the tower you already have for the 2001 variant.

The Hi-Cap shock tower is a wee bit taller than the 2001 shock tower. It would be interesting to see how well it works. Even with the hi-cap shock tower, the chassis is unable to bottom out (hit the groudn). I have a feeling the shorter shock tower would make that even worse (with too much droop too).

Sunset-9.jpg

58085_013.jpg

Ok gents, next challenge. I found out the hard way that the front knuckles are a weak point on the Avante 2001, especially the extension that holds the steering rod which is very weak at the point where the ballend is attached with a nut on the downside. Actually, one of the arms just bended (and broke afterwards) when i want to disassemble the rod to install my front hi caps. It seems this is a weak point on many Tamiya cars had probs on my TA04 and also on my DF01. To get to the point, i saw that rcmart.com sell a Yeah Racing alu front knuckle in black for the 2011. Would that fit the 2001 and secondly, would it be considered blasphemy to put non-Tamiya hop ups on a 2001 Avante?

Many thanks for your expert opinions.

Technically, it's not a 2001 Avante, it's an Avante 2001. They originally came out in the early 90s.

And yes, mine both have front knuckle issues. I've been looking for a decent replacement part for them for a while now.

• Like 1

Whilst I've not tried them the plastic knuckles are a weak spot on the Egress/Vanquish/A2K1 cars and those black alloy ones look a good upgrade, especially if you run on rough surfaces or want to do a few jumps.

Similar items are available from far east seller on ebay from time to time, but not for $24 !

Whilst I've not tried them the plastic knuckles are a weak spot on the Egress/Vanquish/A2K1 cars and those black alloy ones look a good upgrade, especially if you run on rough surfaces or want to do a few jumps.

Similar items are available from far east seller on ebay from time to time, but not for $24 !

But will they fit an Avante 2001? With 24 USD you mean its a good deal, yes?

Technically, it's not a 2001 Avante, it's an Avante 2001. They originally came out in the early 90s.

And yes, mine both have front knuckle issues. I've been looking for a decent replacement part for them for a while now.

Ofcourse i meant Avante 2001 :)

So these alu knuckles might also be a good option for you then?

Yes they should fit fine as long as they are made right to begin with. There is always this "fitment" risk with aftermarket parts. But to answer your question, the new & old plastic parts parts are identical.

Let us know how those Yeah Racing uprights are (fit & finish). At $25 they seem a pretty good deal so long as they work. I especially like that they are black and less obvious than most other ebay ones. Keep in mind you may need to shim extra slop out of them, so a 53585 3mm shim set is handy thing to have. In fact, these things help on the standard plastic uprights too. I used 8 0.2mm shims on my Vanquish to reduce the front end slop a bit.

53585.jpg

Well, we will soon know. Just ordered them. Still have some shims. I will keep you posted on the results.

If you have 4mm ID shims, you can use them too. You just have to put them outside the uprights just under the head of the kingpin/step screws. I think that's what I used since I was out of 3mm ID shims.

Well tonight i broke a new front hub, and i've not even run the Vajra yet - soft as butter ! In contrast the 20yr old Vanquish one on the other side is fine :(

Have ordered the yeah racing alloy ones now - they have got to be an improvement. Maybe i got a bad batch from Tamiya but I'm not risking another new sprue.

Well tonight i broke a new front hub, and i've not even run the Vajra yet - soft as butter ! In contrast the 20yr old Vanquish one on the other side is fine http://www.tamiyaclub.com/forum/public/style_emoticons/#EMO_DIR#/sad.png

Have ordered the yeah racing alloy ones now - they have got to be an improvement. Maybe i got a bad batch from Tamiya but I'm not risking another new sprue.

Mine should be coming in coming monday according the postal tracking. It's about time! I haven't done anything anymore on the 2001 since the knuckle broke. Next big challenge will be which ESC i will install as it needs to support lipo. For starters, i will go for a brushed setup with the original sport-tuned motor. Any suggestions?