Celticbhoy1888

Unimog CR-01

I've just bought a brand new Unimog CR-01 from Germany and while its in transit I'm wondering if there are any recommended mods / hop ups I should be buying in advance ?

I'd also appreciate any info on what ESC to go for. The recommended Tamiya ESC (45028 Tamiya TEU-302BK ESC) comes in at around £50 - £70 (seems a bit pricey).

Also wondering if the Carson CS-3 servo is ok for this kit and would a rock crawler motor be a worthwhile purchase ?

Thanks in advance for any advice :)

You don't need that esc, you can get just a std tamiya 105 esc (usually about £20 on here) if you want a true crawler esc you can look at spending more cash.

Servos just a decent one with torque, you can get a passable one for pretty cheap, it all depends what you want to do with it.

Cheers

Not really that clued up on CR-01's but bearings are a must(if they arent already included). I fitted a 55T motor to my CC-01, and would highly recomend you doing the same to a CR-01. I now get a much longer run time and a healthy amount of torque to the wheels.

I think its a case of a couple of basic mods such as motor and bearings and from how far you want to take it, go from there.

I run my FJ40 in the back garden, climbing the rocks around the fish pond, which does me fine, so its had a few mods and some home made stuff, its a great way to destress.

* I know the CC01 and CR01 are different beasts but the principle is the same.

Blacksmithproducts.co.uk do a 70t ESC for £14.99 and a 70t crawler motor for £6.99 (both plus P&P). Well worth a look . If you want to go a little more up market a Mtroniks TIO rock crawler ESC is £36 from modelsport plus P&P . RC4WD motors in a range of 35t to 80t are available from RC BITZ for £9.99 to £10.99 Plus £3.00 P&P .

Probably the best wind of motor for a CR-01 is a 35 turn. When I got mine when first released I fitted a 55 turn and it was terrible. I then fitted a 35 turn motor and it transformed the rig. Problem with running higher wind motors in the CR is that the gearbox ratio is quite high, and it needs a motor with a bit more pep than say a 55 turn. Tamiya`s own CR tuned motor is a 35 and isnt bad if a little basic (fixed timing and phosphor bronze bushings) Otherwise a Taiwan 35 turn called sport tuned can be found on ebay in the 20 quid mark. Ballraced, adjustable timing, rebuildable.

The stock CR drive shafts are junk. And go for the highest torque servo that you can afford. And get some weight in the wheels as well, startng at 6-7 oz in the front and 3 oz in the rear.

Also wondering if the Carson CS-3 servo is ok for this kit and would a rock crawler motor be a worthwhile purchase ?

The Carson CS-3 and CS-6 servos I tried were weak, rather slow and pretty noisy even in neutral position. They were glitching when you switched the car on without having contact to the transmitter. The CS-9 MG was okay without glitching and noise, but still so slow.

One of my cars with big wheels use a Savöx SC-0254MG, which is a rather fast and strong digital servo with ball bearings and metal gears. I'd recommend this servo any day.

If using a strong servo, be sure to limit the steering throw endpoints. This will save your steering links and uprights from hitting other suspension components at maximum throw. This function is called steering E.P.A. (individual endpoint adjustment) or steering dualrate (one mutual setting for both directions). Some very basic transmitters, like Tamiya's transmitters, doesn't offer such a function at all.

Thanks very much for all the advice guys. Decided I'll go for a Tamiya CR Tuned 35T motor.

Now it's the servo I haven't got a clue which one to go for. There's just too many after browsing the Modelsport website. Any suggestions up to maybe the £40 - £50 mark ?

I might just go for the Mtroniks TIO rock crawler ESC. The reviews appear to be ok.

Thanks very much for all the advice guys. Decided I'll go for a Tamiya CR Tuned 35T motor.

Now it's the servo I haven't got a clue which one to go for. There's just too many after browsing the Modelsport website. Any suggestions up to maybe the £40 - £50 mark ?

I might just go for the Mtroniks TIO rock crawler ESC. The reviews appear to be ok.

good thing about the TIO is its duel mode . IF you eventually get feed up with crawling you can just switch settings and its job done .

I've just bought a brand new Unimog CR-01 from Germany and while its in transit I'm wondering if there are any recommended mods / hop ups I should be buying in advance ?

I'd also appreciate any info on what ESC to go for. The recommended Tamiya ESC (45028 Tamiya TEU-302BK ESC) comes in at around £50 - £70 (seems a bit pricey).

Thanks in advance for any advice :)

For my CR I chosen a Robitronic Speedstar 2 Crawler edition... it isn't waterproof but mine, that sits in radio box made out of scratch, spite a bath works great.

IMO a 55t motor is too much (lot of torque, less speed), a 35t will be better. Asap I will switch to a 35t.

I'm a KO Propo guy and BlueBird servos match perfectly my Ex-5 UR. For the CR I bought a BMS 660MG+HS.

The stock CR drive shafts are junk.

Ahahahahahahahahahahahah :D

It's true!

Still dithering over ESC's and Servos. Was quite keen on the Mtroniks Crawler ESC but after reading up some more, the feedback is generally not good.

Think I've narrowed servos down to either hitec or savox.

Still dithering over ESC's and Servos. Was quite keen on the Mtroniks Crawler ESC but after reading up some more, the feedback is generally not good.

Think I've narrowed servos down to either hitec or savox.

Mtroniks are generally good quality so that supprises me . Keep in mind that being UK made you do get excellent after service form Mtroniks too . Have a look at HPI servos before makig your final choice .

@Celticbhoy1888: Hitec servos often come with a specific spline count which is non-compatible with Tamiya's kit-supplied servo saver adaptors. Please see this post for detailed information about servo spline counts:

http://www.rcgroups....675&postcount=2

Cheers mate. Good to know re the after service from Mtroniks. Might just go for one knowing the service is there.

Would either of these servos do the job for general bashing with a CR-01 ?

http://www.modelsport.co.uk/savox-sh0252-standard-size-digital-servo-torque-/rc-car-products/36398

http://www.modelsport.co.uk/savox-sc-1256-coreless-digital-servo-high-torque-/rc-car-products/31644

@Celticbhoy1888: Hitec servos often come with a specific spline count which is non-compatible with Tamiya's kit-supplied servo saver adaptors. Please see this post for detailed information about servo spline counts:

http://www.rcgroups....675&postcount=2

Thanks for the info on the hitec servos. I'm assuming the Savox servos would be a direct fit ?

Cheers

Thanks for the info on the hitec servos. I'm assuming the Savox servos would be a direct fit ?

You're welcome. :) The Savöx servo I spoke of above uses the same spline count as Tamiya's Futaba servo adaptor, which is 25.

Just my two cents, I have over one hundred batts through my CR-01 and my drive shafts are fine. I'd wait on those till they give out and then replace them.

go for a waterproof servo , a wet £50 servo is still a dead servo , you could always use plastidip or similar to waterproof your chosen item , i think the drive shafts you linked to are the half shafts , i could be wrong but i think it is the prop shafts that are the weak point , http://www.fusionhobbies.com/product/54113-tamiya-cr-01-carbon-steel-prop-shaft-95mm ,

i have used many esc's for crawling , from the tamiya teu101 to a novak crawler , truth be told you will learn how to use whatever you chose , drag brakes are nice but i also enjoyed actually having to use the brake manually , do go for a waterproof item with lipo cut off , :)

Thanks for the info guys. I'll leave the shafts for now and see how it goes.

I've also gone for the Mtroniks Crawler ESC. Hopefully that does the job as I'm only going to be doing some Sunday afternoon bashing in the woods :)