Psylence

Sand Scorcher questions

Well, the peanut oil soak + mass amounts of profanity seems to have done the trick. :lol:

Mental note, no more 3piece wheels ever again!

Told you the peanut oil works :D

Got the wheels mounted up, loaded up a battery... dropped her on the floor for a maiden run.

Gear noise, no forward movement. Pick her up and the axles and wheels turn just fine. Must be the ball diff... adjust both ways multiple times and no sucess. No amount of adjusting results in forward motion once placed on the ground... Must have torched the diff. Guess I have to reinstall the stock spooled setup. FML. :angry::(

If you have never ran the car, you could not have torched the diff.. it takes a lot to ruin the rings..

If you have never ran the car, you could not have torched the diff.. it takes a lot to ruin the rings..

I sure hope not. However, I've tried following all of the adjustment instructions that came with the diff to no avail. Guess I'm going to have to crack the gearbox open and rebuild.

Very disconcerting to hear gear noise, see things turning... but not have it translate into forward movement. :(

I sure hope not. However, I've tried following all of the adjustment instructions that came with the diff to no avail. Guess I'm going to have to crack the gearbox open and rebuild.

Very disconcerting to hear gear noise, see things turning... but not have it translate into forward movement. :(

IMO the Tamiya ball diff is a PITA at best and a piece of junk at worst . I have had no end of problems with mine . Adjusted many times , rebuilt twice and i;am still not 100% happy with it . I found that the only way to get it to hold something like correct adjustment is to use blue threadlock on the threads and even then its far from perfect . Next time i do a rebuild / relube its coming out and staying out . Seen as i have a SWB beach buggy project on the go for the chassis it will run better with a fixed diff anyway . One other thing - are you sure the grub screws on the UJ's are fully tight and the output shafts are not just spinning in them ?

Yes, checked those for tightness. It's definitely something inside the gearbox itself. So much for the "hop-up" eh?

Yes, checked those for tightness. It's definitely something inside the gearbox itself. So much for the "hop-up" eh?

Question of dont belive the Hype . Not all so called hop- ups are worth the money . IMO tamiya droped the ball on the design of this and its just a easy way for them to make a few bucks .

Sure seems that way.

Of course, now I'm having second thoughts about installing the slipper clutch hop-up that I have here for the Bruiser re-re. The last thing I want to do is rip that 3speed apart multiple times chasing down problems! <_<

Sure seems that way.

Of course, now I'm having second thoughts about installing the slipper clutch hop-up that I have here for the Bruiser re-re. The last thing I want to do is rip that 3speed apart multiple times chasing down problems! <_<

The slipper is a totally different ball game ( pardon the pun lol ) Its a far better design and better made . You will find it a lot easier to set up then the ball diff . i have one on a FTX Carnage fitted with a 9t brushless and 2s lipo and its problem free .

After seeing all the trouble people are having with the SRB ball diffs I'm glad I couldn't afford one (before the SRB re-re's and Tamiya diff was available when all that was out there was the Thorp) and made a gear diff instead. It's still going strong, doesn't slip, and I have steering too. I'm stumped why Tamiya didn't look at what I did to make it (all from Tamiya parts) and copy it instead of release a troublesome ball diff.

After seeing all the trouble people are having with the SRB ball diffs I'm glad I couldn't afford one (before the SRB re-re's and Tamiya diff was available when all that was out there was the Thorp) and made a gear diff instead. It's still going strong, doesn't slip, and I have steering too. I'm stumped why Tamiya didn't look at what I did to make it (all from Tamiya parts) and copy it instead of release a troublesome ball diff.

Mark i was thinking mate - with the advances in 3D printing and Shapeways would it be possiable to sell the parts needed to do the gear diff to us less than skilled 5 thumbed mortals ? :lol:

• Like 1

Mark i was thinking mate - with the advances in 3D printing and Shapeways would it be possiable to sell the parts needed to do the gear diff to us less than skilled 5 thumbed mortals ? :lol:

The only plastic part in the assembly is the main diff gear itself. How well do printed parts withstand being used as gears? I'd think it would be better as a moulded or machined delrin (acetal) part. The rest of the diff assembly is metal from other Tamiya models with little bits ground off them.

Anyone who wants to copy what I did, or even produce them to sell is welcome to.

The only plastic part in the assembly is the main diff gear itself. How well do printed parts withstand being used as gears? I'd think it would be better as a moulded or machined delrin (acetal) part. The rest of the diff assembly is metal from other Tamiya models with little bits ground off them.

Anyone who wants to copy what I did, or even produce them to sell is welcome to.

Oooh... Is there a thread with details?

Oooh... Is there a thread with details?

Have a look in TA Mark's showroom . Full details on the how to and diagrams .

• Like 1

Wow, very impressive! And sadly beyond my abilities... I'll just be installing the stock locked setup for now. :wacko:

Since this is my first build/teardown of a Sand Scorcher, does anyone know the fastest/least hassle method of splitting the gearbox? I could just reverse the assembly directions of course, but there's almost always an easier way... B)

Wow, very impressive! And sadly beyond my abilities... I'll just be installing the stock locked setup for now. :wacko:

Since this is my first build/teardown of a Sand Scorcher, does anyone know the fastest/least hassle method of splitting the gearbox? I could just reverse the assembly directions of course, but there's almost always an easier way... B)

you need to do a full strip down - reverse of the assembly . The cases actually flex a bit when assembled so go easy and carefully unscrew all the bolts a little at a time each to remove and equal any stress . If sealant has being used soak the cases overnight with WD40 or similar first . Sorry but i dont know of a easier way .

A little dish soap around the tires beads lets the rims slip right into place

Welp, after a tear down and rebuild on the gearbox she's able to move under her own power. I know I'm going to regret it, but I left the ball diff in there for the time being. I cranked down on it as tight as possible in the meantime.

Part of my problem might have been the small plastic gear inbetween the drive gear and the other brass gear; theres a *chance* I swapped the long and short side of that gear and that could have been part of my issue. Or just cranking the diff till my hands bleed helped. Either way. :rolleyes:

Now to start on that High-lift.... :lol:

Well after complaining about the frustration of building a re-re (due to old technology), I took my Scorcher out for a test drive. Wow I was completely amazed how straight the car ran. I didn't even have to make any steering adjustments. I love this thing. In fact i love it so much I ended up giving my Scorcher a brother, bought another Scorcher. Of course, the second build was much easier since I learned from all my previous mistakes. Attached are a couple of pics.

_MG_3978_zps42b18f16.jpg

_MG_3964_zpsf01b4a97.jpg

• Like 2

Thanks. It's Testors Model Master "Fifties Aqua" #2942. Here's another shot of it before i painted the tire lettering.

_MG_5197_1024_zpsf5f325fa.jpg

• Like 1

the mint green....I like the blue and yellow one!!

Nice job looks like a beauty!!!

thanks for the compliment. For me the most time consuming task of painting the Scorcher is sanding away the rough edges and the mould marks on the fenders. I wished i had the patience to install lights.

Brilliant job, got to love a Sand Scorcher, so 2 is ......errrrr... twice as good.

I too was surprised as to how well my SS went, still only tested it briefly up and down the road but it took off like a scalded cat with no sign of the 'dodgy steering' that they are renowned for having. Still need to address the lack of decent brakes issue and then I'll be really happy.

Enjoy, whether it be running or just admiring your work.

P.S. great photography too.