JWeston

New York City Model Shops...

I've had a google and cannot seem to find anywhere decent for Tamiya, Axial, Traxxas etc in the whole of NYC.

If any of you chaps know of somewhere, could you let me know please?

nope - we americans have, to use a NYC-appropriate term, bubkis in terms of brick and mortar hobby shops in most places. there are a few in NJ, but not easy to get to without a car. in other words, you brits make us all jealous hearing about all your great model shops.

if anyone else knows about a tamiya-dealing LHS in NYC i'd love to know about it!

• Like 2

Bruckner Hobbies on Tremont Ave. in the Bronx is probably the closest thing to a full-line hobby shop in the 5 boroughs of NYC. Google them........

• Like 1

It's too bad that Empire Hobby in Manhattan closed down years ago. That was my Tamiya shop growing up as they had a much larger stock of Tamiya cars than Tower Hobbies in the mid eighties through the nineties. I know it doesn't help, but when you asked your question, it brought on a wave of nostalgia. I remember as a teen hopping on Metro North trains in Connecticut to Grand Central and then making my way to get my Tamiya goodies. I had to be very careful to not get my prized purchases stolen by older punks on the subways. I always brought my huge old camping back pack so you couldn't tell what I had. :wub:

• Like 1

I've had a google and cannot seem to find anywhere decent for Tamiya, Axial, Traxxas etc in the whole of NYC.

If any of you chaps know of somewhere, could you let me know please?

NYC is a long way to go from Leicestershire just to find a Hobby shop fella?!?!? :D

• Like 1

Thanks Guys.

There's a place called Pilotage Fun & Hobby on 5th Avenue but, as the name would suggest, they're mainly about planes.

Beef - same over here nowadays. Still a couple but not like the old days.

Theibault - Ah, the memories!!! Just like me travelling into London and Essex. Shops long since gone...

SteveU30 - Probably for the best that there aren't any to visit! :-)

baldmanrox - The inshop photos look fantastic! Not a million miles from where I'll be either. Thanks :-)

• Like 1