Toykid

RC10 original gold pan re-release - RCCA july 2013

Wait - Thunder Tiger controls AE? Doesn't Tower control Thunder Tiger? I know they do Duratrax... and I have a vague sense that they may do Thunder Tiger also...

Not sure what you mean here? Tower is just a retailer isn't it? Thunder Tiger is a Taiwanese based manufacturer.

Another theory of mine is that, since AE have said the re-release will have full spare parts support, then only a small percentage of parts produced will go into actual kits. The rest will be distributed as spares.

Not sure what you mean here? Tower is just a retailer isn't it? Thunder Tiger is a Taiwanese based manufacturer.

Another theory of mine is that, since AE have said the re-release will have full spare parts support, then only a small percentage of parts produced will go into actual kits. The rest will be distributed as spares.

Yeah I was confused about the Thunder Tiger thing... but Tower aka Hobbico is more than just a retailer:

Proprietary brands include: Revell, Monogram, Top Flite, Great Planes, AquaCraft Models, FlightPower (North America), Heli-Max, SuperTigre, O'Donnell, DuraTrax, RealFlight, MonoKote, Carl Goldberg Products, ElectriFly, Coverite, Dynaflite, Fuji-Imvac, FlyZone, Team Checkpoint, MuchMore Racing, VS Tank, Estes Industries and others. It is the exclusive distributor for Futaba radio control products in North and South America, for O.S. Engines in North America and Thunder Tiger in North and South America.

...even on Saturday at RCX Roger Curtis went on record as saying he didn't understand what the fuss was about and he wouldn't have re-released it if he was still in control at AE.

This is so stupid it made me momentarily angry. It's one thing not to want to dilute your brand by delving into the re re market, but to "not know what all the fuss is about" regarding the car that put your company on the badword map?!

• Like 1

This is so stupid it made me momentarily angry. It's one thing not to want to dilute your brand by delving into the re re market, but to "not know what all the fuss is about" regarding the car that put your company on the badword map?!

Lol, context is everything, and I imagine you had to actually witness the conversation at first hand to properly judge the comments made. I think they were probably made ever so tongue in cheek. I'm not sure what, if any, involvement Roger Curtis has at AE now so he probably feels more free to air his views without having to be coy about stuff like this.

I just got the email advertisement from Tower on this and I'm really happy thier rereleasing it. I have no plans to buy a new one since I have 2 originals here but since it's a good chassis for hotrod builds and the way rereleases drop the price on originals, I'll keep an eye out for the originals selling for dirt. Currently they sell locally around the 50 dollar mark, much lower and they'll be free. :D

well thats it i'm now skint till the new year pre-ordered 2 of them o well give me something to do while i forage for food in woods :D

• Like 1

I'd bet they will have presold at least 3x the 2000 number before shipment...

I was with the guy who had this conversation with Roger on Sunday, and the way I picked up what Roger meant was that he was humbled that something that he had designed was still able to create a stir so many years after it came out.

I guess he designed a car to do a job at the time, which it did and then some, but as a race car it has been long since superseded, yet still remains important to so many of us.

personally I was racing before the RC-10 came out.

I'm sure many (especially UK) guys remember reading all about this first new off road car coming out soon from Associated, it was in Model Cars magazine a LONG TIME before it came out.

I got one as soon as I could, and made many A finals, including a few wins, with it.

My pre-order is in, I'll buy 1 locally as well if there is the quantity to do so.

quick story for those still reading:

Back in 1995 I was visiting Florida, stumbled upon a consignment store that did only RC stuff, cars, planes, boats RC gear.

1 wall was all used cars.

90% of which were RC-10s in various states of disrepair, but the owner said he could barely give these away !

Just to satisfy my own curiosity, I took a look at the local ad board for originals for sale. Right now there are 8 on there ranging in price from 40 to 85 dollars each. that's about double the norm. there are several varieties including a pair of DS in near mint condition at a good price. I think with all the advertising for the rere there are people taking advantage of the fact delivery is still a month or two out. It'll be interesting to see where the prices go once the technical specs are released and they start delivering the new one.

I have to agree now that the 2000 figure has to be baloney. On every single thread across the net practically every poster is saying they have ordered at least two of them.

They will probably do 2000 with the limited text on the box, and another 2000 without at a later date, then another 2000 with different chassis.

If the forum traffic is anything to be believed then this would challenge the SC10 for sales volumes, and probably out sell it in like for like first quarter sales.

Having said all of that, once the nostalgia sales are over is this buggy really a competitor to similar priced modern buggies ? -

Having said all of that, once the nostalgia sales are over is this buggy really a competitor to similar priced modern buggies ? -

You could say the same for any Tamiya re-release though.

You could say the same for any Tamiya re-release though.

Absolutely - and i wonder how many re-re sand scorchers are sold in the uk every month these days ?

With youngsters these days just wanting RTR models, I even think some nostalgia comments and influence from Dad won;t win a youngsters decision when standing in a model shop wanting to buy some RC.

It will be interesting to know how well Tamiya did on its re-release. Namely did the re -release surpass the sales volume when the model was first release. Say the Bruiser sold XYZ copies for 5 years that were in production say in 1985 to 1990, did the re-release made the same volume as before or only 50%? 75%? 110%? It could be a good guide line for how many RC10 should be re-release. How was release figure of 2000 arrived or a front job just to get the pre-orders in to obtian break-even figures are projections?

I will likely get one when I see it but pre-order, not for me.

Absolutely - and i wonder how many re-re sand scorchers are sold in the uk every month these days ?

With youngsters these days just wanting RTR models, I even think some nostalgia comments and influence from Dad won;t win a youngsters decision when standing in a model shop wanting to buy some RC.

Not sure about the UK, but the Scorcher kit has not been discontinued so they must still be selling somewhere.

The Hornet and Frog have been in production for nearly 10 years now but there will be much better performing buggies out there for the same price. Performance really plays very little part in the reasoning for buying nostalgia models IMO. The fact that this one just so happens to still be able to outperform a lot of modern stuff (if the forums are to be believed) is just a nice little bonus but these are not going to sell like hotcakes for that reason.

It will be interesting to know how well Tamiya did on its re-release. Namely did the re -release surpass the sales volume when the model was first release. Say the Bruiser sold XYZ copies for 5 years that were in production say in 1985 to 1990, did the re-release made the same volume as before or only 50%? 75%? 110%? It could be a good guide line for how many RC10 should be re-release. How was release figure of 2000 arrived or a front job just to get the pre-orders in to obtian break-even figures are projections?

I will likely get one when I see it but pre-order, not for me.

Apparently nearly half a million original RC10 kits were sold in the 1980s. I think I can state with confidence that they wont sell that many this time around. :)

Apparently nearly half a million original RC10 kits were sold in the 1980s. I think I can state with confidence that they wont sell that many this time around. :)

but those were the hey day, when every kid and racer wanted one, was happy to build them, bash them and replace them.

100 posters on various forums, buying two each, only gets rid of 10% of the supposedly available kits.

I have to admit that now I'm in my 30's I think I enjoy the build probably as much as the play. My 3yr old is getting a crash course in RC and has a massive interest in the mechanical side, he gets so excited by looking at the workings of his camper wheelie and loves playing around with screwdrivers/spanners etc. I'll ensure he's brought up on the classic 'build it yourself' mentality ;) No RTR rubbish here ;)

On the note of re-re's, I REALLY hope that Yokomo dip their toe in the water and give us Dogfighter Works 9X, man, I'd give a bodypart to see that happen!

On the note of re-re's, I REALLY hope that Yokomo dip their toe in the water and give us Dogfighter Works 9X, man, I'd give a bodypart to see that happen!

Oh yes, this.....definately

Wish I'd seen MBModels price before i placed my order with modelsport :(

Wish I'd seen MBModels price before i placed my order with modelsport :(

Have they sold all 25 of their stock? If not, just cancel with Modelsport.

Have they sold all 25 of their stock? If not, just cancel with Modelsport.

Nah, just order from both ;)

7 of their 25 allocation left at MBModels for what worth it is

Nah, just order from both ;)

So you are going from "maybe I will get one" to hoarding a bunch of them? :P

So you are going from "maybe I will get one" to hoarding a bunch of them? :P

Two is not a bunch in my language :D