Toykid

RC10 original gold pan re-release - RCCA july 2013

I was 15 when I got my first RC-10, and having built 3 or 4 Tamiyas, and a couple of Kyoshos before that, it was certainly a challenge, but NOTHING compared to the first CATs that followed soon afterward

I remember me and my dad almost crying over our Schumacher Cougar build! The entire thing went super smoothly until we hit part of the diff (I think it was the diff) and it took me, my dad and two of my mates that already had Cougars to explain it lol. Previous to this the only kits I'd had were second hand thus pre-built, so this was a baptism of RC car building fire ;)

• Like 1

Can anyone share with us why this RC10 model is collectible ? Apart from the fact that it won the 1st IFMAR championship, is there anything else?

For eg, I got the re re Sand Scorcher after seeing the variations, the mods, & the youtube on the suspension actions of a vintage.

For me personally its more of a trip down memory lane, or at least a trip down a memory lane that was out of my price league as a kid. The RC10, as with the Yokomo's, Tomy's and Traxxa's were totally unaffordable back then and thus, I'll not know the difference's that the re-re has over its original counterpart.

I maybe one of the few that do this, but I'm only buying one (pre-ordered) with the intention of running it just to see how it feels in comparison to what I was driving in its place back in the day (Madcap). Quite looking forward to it!!

I remember me and my dad almost crying over our Schumacher Cougar build! The entire thing went super smoothly until we hit part of the diff (I think it was the diff) and it took me, my dad and two of my mates that already had Cougars to explain it lol. Previous to this the only kits I'd had were second hand thus pre-built, so this was a baptism of RC car building fire ;)

yep Can remember building my m8's cougar as he was about to smash it with a hammer lol happy days

yep Can remember building my m8's cougar as he was about to smash it with a hammer lol happy days

Ha haaaa, I've actually got a NIB Shotgun here but I dare not start building it in case I throw a paddy mid build and do exactly that ;)

A couple of short but quite interesting videos of how the 1:1 magazine ad came about. Turns out it actually has details like a full cockpit with bucket seat etc. Pretty cool actually.

Any ozi mates buying from the uk will cost a handful!... with shipping.. Im going to buy local or u.s funds..

Can anyone share with us why this RC10 model is collectible ? Apart from the fact that it won the 1st IFMAR championship, is there anything else?

For eg, I got the re re Sand Scorcher after seeing the variations, the mods, & the youtube on the suspension actions of a vintage.

I was asking this same question on RC-10 Talk.

I don't get why guys who don't race, or if they do race started long after the original RC10 was gone from the scene, would want one of these cars.

And this is from a guy who raced one, and so maybe that colours my view on it.

But I think anyone who has a passing interest in racing rc cars, wants one of these as when it came out, it really was THE car for a fairly long time.

I was asking this same question on RC-10 Talk.

I don't get why guys who don't race, or if they do race started long after the original RC10 was gone from the scene, would want one of these cars.

And this is from a guy who raced one, and so maybe that colours my view on it.

But I think anyone who has a passing interest in racing rc cars, wants one of these as when it came out, it really was THE car for a fairly long time.

You kind of answer the question at the beginning of your post with the statement at the end.

<rant>Why the <_< did they make the thing "brushless and lipo ready" and not rere the 6016 kit? Pointless. Was about to pre-order until I read that. Flanged bearings in the sizes that the GP used will be either worth a fortune or just not available. </rant>

FYI, there were two versions of the original RC10 (by 1986 at least, if not earlier), bushed or bearinged.

Any ozi mates buying from the uk will cost a handful!... with shipping.. Im going to buy local or u.s funds..

Ordered mine through AceHobbyaustralia.com.au

Cheers

You kind of answer the question at the beginning of your post with the statement at the end.

yeah, that was my take on it anyway.

what I want to do is find an old roller and replicate the one I raced.

We used to chop down the sidewalls of the tub, drill a LOT of holes in the chassis, and also shorten the wheel base about 10mm.

I have a picture of my car somewhere, but a few house moves and clearouts of stuff, means I can't find it and so re-doing my paint scheme from my old man memory might be near impossible :)

I have one ordered and paid for locally (aussie store) price was very reasonable ($299).

I cant wait to try and oldie from some one other than Tamiya.

i now have one open slot on my shelve.:-).... i could be the 2001 customer:-(...the sales figure seems to be doing well and the factory will likely do another batch of re release. what sales manager not want to make the quarterly or annual sales figures.

I've been curious about the racing history of the RC10 and why it was so popular. I found a few videos from the mid 80s and the racing back then was a bit different, a lot more flat track on clay or loose dirt. I have a few models from that time frame and I'd have to say it was the change in the steering geometry and heavier duty moving parts that made it work. This was an era with iffy speed controls, radios and servos so part of it was holding up to the abuse. I'm not sold on the rerelease but I wouldn't mind seeing how a vintage one does with all new era electronics. Just to compare it to models like the SRB chassis types and the Assault from the same time frame. I imagine it was more of a aiming experience rather than really precise driving. It'll be interesting to maybe compare videos and performance then to now too.

To anyone who hasn't actually held an RC10 in their hands and driven one, I guess I can understand the "what's the big deal" question. But if you know them, you get it. You're trying to compare it to Tamiya and Kyosho cars of the day, and there simply is no comparison. The RC10 did everything better. It has less rolling resistance (even with bushings), it's more rigid, has NO slop in the suspension parts, it's low-slung, but has tons of ground clearance, and all of that translates to a car that drives the way you always wished every other car would drive.

It is a very complicated car to build and set up, if you want to get it right. And absolutely every part of it is adjustable, so you can make it handle any way you want, including horribly. That's why there is that line in the instructions that says "build it our way first." But after that, you can experiment to your heart's content. It's a tinkerer's car.

And if you're curious about how an old RC10 does with new electronics and modern tires, head over to RC10Talk and look for the "what's old is new" thread in the tech section. Short answer: quite well, thank you.

I understand the tinkerers point of view, I'm working on the fourth hotrod with a RC10 chassis right now. It's not really fair to compare it to the modern buggies that were designed with better pieces not available then, so I was thinking about what it had for competition and on what kind of track is all.

Why the RC10? I was discussing the availability of originals with another member here the other day and after some debate and price haggling I took the plunge and picked up a pair of originals that were both bone stock. I put a Reaktor brushless system, 3000 MAH NIMH battery and flysky receiver in it and decided to test it out. This is exactly what I have in the assault to make it fair. I also did some checking on release dates and the frog was out there at that time too. The frog doesn't work well with the Reaktor 3300 KV so it wasn't even in the running. The assault is tail heavy and like herding cats to drive and lands hard on the rear once airborne. The RC 10 even across flagstone that usually messes with cars drove very well even at speed. It landed well every time I hit a jump square and did well when I didn't. The RC 10 could use more power and the assault was overpowered with identical electronics. I also got the gearing as close as possible.

Not long ago I had a B4.1 and no matter what, it always landed poorly. The ultima is like that too so far. So why the RC10? It's the balance. Something that can show it's versatility when you put power too it instead of it's flaws. You can't win a race with a car that's upside down.

I was curious...now I know.

Just picked up a stealth box and mount for $35. Complete. Cant ask for more than that. Ill probably sell the 6 gear brand new. The purists may not like that - but at least they could buy a 6gear!

Cheers

AE have said the Stealth is to follow at a later date, presumably as a hop up part as the pan on this re-release has been pre-drilled for it.

Yeah The stealth will be sought after Re re or original. <_<

Guess I finally have to pay my dues and get one. Back in the day I purchased an Avante for about $260 because I wanted something that was from Tamiya. Of course everyone and their grandmother back then wanted an RC10 and poopood the Tamiya. :lol: Can't wait to finally be able to own one and drive it...it's been long overdue. :rolleyes:

In the 90's when I was racing a Madcap, Tamiya's were always looked at as an amateur starter car, no matter what you had, Hornet or Egress, so it was all about Yokomo, Schumacher, Team Associated, Kyosho etc. That view never spoiled my view of Tamiya's as I adored them, but from a competative racing angle they were laughed of track at all the clubs I took my car to.

I went for a Cougar after my madcap and managed to claw my way into the B finals now and again, but the A final territory was a Tamiya free zone. It was owned by the RC10 kinda racers ;)

• Like 1

Oh and I remember when one chap turned up with a shiny new Avante (which had my jaw pinned to the floor) which in his second race collided head on with an out of control Procat...the poor chaps Avante showered the track with flying front end parts...I almost cried for the chap.

• Like 1

In the 90's when I was racing a Madcap, Tamiya's were always looked at as an amateur starter car, no matter what you had, Hornet or Egress, so it was all about Yokomo, Schumacher, Team Associated, Kyosho etc. That view never spoiled my view of Tamiya's as I adored them, but from a competative racing angle they were laughed of track at all the clubs I took my car to.

I went for a Cougar after my madcap and managed to claw my way into the B finals now and again, but the A final territory was a Tamiya free zone. It was owned by the RC10 kinda racers ;)

whilst i wasn't even into RC back then , never mind racing, this is exactly the scenario i read across loads of forums. Tamiya were plentiful, had good choice and good support in the UK and were a popular choice with modelshops and hence buyers for general RC use. Those who tried to race them were soon blown into the weeds once the race orientated cars came on the scene (bearing in mind lots of folks appear to have tried to run Hornet/grasshoppers with mods), and even when the better Tamiya cars came along they just couldn't live with the RC10s - Tamiya had great engineering in the likes of the avnate / Egress etc but the cars were just too weighty to compete.

Oh and I remember when one chap turned up with a shiny new Avante (which had my jaw pinned to the floor) which in his second race collided head on with an out of control Procat...the poor chaps Avante showered the track with flying front end parts...I almost cried for the chap.

Yea because Tamiya with all their ABS plastics!!! ABS is old news and tech I don't know why tamiyas are almost 100% made from this crap still to date!!

• Like 1

yep remember seeing avante's and super astute's with front end in bits after a minor crash when i was racing great looking cars but made egg shells look strong and then these beat up rc10's were still going strong and wining most weeks all i could afford at time was a very hopped up meteor and always hoped to get a rc10 second hand off one of the club members but they just upgraded parts every year :(