Toykid

RC10 original gold pan re-release - RCCA july 2013

here in the us, in the 80's the only tamiya's being raced locally were blackfoot's. they were the truck class for years, until the king cab. unfortunatley for the king cab losi released the jrxt (the first pupose built racing stadium truck). after that i never saw a tamiya at the track until the trf 4wd buggies came out. the astue couldn't hang with rc10's/jrx2's/ultimas.

it's funny how everyone remembers how dominant the rc10 was but forgets how badly the jrx2's beat them up. that was the dawn of one of the best rivalries in rc.

too bad the dyna storm never caught on around here, that's tamiya's best 2wd buggy. i always had high regard for the manta ray on up to the top force evo, great platform.

infact i'm racing a dirt thrasher at this year vintage off road nationals.

More information emerges. http://www.myrcbox.com/interviews/team-talks-rc10-classic/

* One production run, which sold out in the first week.

* Dedicated spare parts availability.

* Lots of parts built from scratch using new moulds.

* Partly made in the USA, the rest overseas.

* Box art will be slightly different, as will the newly moulded parts to identify them from originals.

* Graphite & CE edition re-releases being considered.

So they've only made X kits and that's it and they know they sold out in the first week. So why is Tower still allowing pre-orders?

So they've only made X kits and that's it and they know they sold out in the first week. So why is Tower still allowing pre-orders?

Maybe when they say sold out they mean each allocation to the various distributors/stores has been taken up. Now it's just up to the stores to get their individual allocations sold, so maybe Tower still has some left from their allocation?

The interview is a little confusing:

First:

Team Associated:We were overwhelmed with the response when the project was officially announced. In fact the entire production was sold during the first week.

Later:

Team Associated:We are only making one production of them to further enhance their value to the collector enthusiast. Cant tell you how many total, but it is a limited production.

Hard to believe if they sold the first production run in a week they wouldn't make more, or as many as they can until the tooling reaches end of life.

It is slightly contradictory. I think they have sold out the planned 2500 but will honour any extra that are ordered via pre-order.

here in the us, in the 80's the only tamiya's being raced locally were blackfoot's. they were the truck class for years, until the king cab. unfortunatley for the king cab losi released the jrxt (the first pupose built racing stadium truck).

Don't forget the conversion kits. I can't tell you how annoying it was to see the first RC10 wearing Blackfoot tires and and a truck body show up in the truck class. The rest of us knew we were racing for 2nd place at that point...

Maybe when they say sold out they mean each allocation to the various distributors/stores has been taken up. Now it's just up to the stores to get their individual allocations sold, so maybe Tower still has some left from their allocation?

Yeah, that could be (and I hope it is) true. But my original question was supposed to be a little bit rhetorical though it wasn't obvious unless you know how Tower normally operates. What I mean is, Tower will let you order products that will never come in stock again (and by extension, pre-order more than the number they expect to get in stock). I ordered some Traxxas wheels on backorder one time and they stayed on backorder for over a year before Tower finally killed it because no more of those wheels were ever manufactured. We can only hope this isn't the case here or there will be a large group of unhappy people.

Did you guys all order the first week?

I pre ordered as soon as I could at Tower.

Did you guys all order the first week?

Ordered one on 6/2 at 8:27am EDT

Then ordered a second on 6/3 at 7:18pm EDT

These videos on LiveSteamMad's YouTube channel are awesome.

Many thanks for posting these, LiveSteamMad, and I hope you don't mind me reposting them here.

RC10 The Winning Edge with " Jammin ' " Jay Halsey . Part 1 of 5.

RC10 The Winning Edge with " Jammin ' " Jay Halsey . Part 2 of 5.

RC10 The Winning Edge with " Jammin ' " Jay Halsey . Part 3 of 5.

RC10 The Winning Edge with " Jammin ' " Jay Halsey . Part 4 of 5.

about the race stuff from those days, seems very much like the UK and the US were quite different then.
UK was 5 minutes and 6 cells, so efficiency was all important.
ALso, durability.
Both of these factors really helped RC-10

also, Losi didn't really take off in the UK the same as it did in US.
I think SRM brought Losi into the UK, and they didn't really get too much early success
I did try both the original Losi car and a PRO SE, but personally wrong car, wrong time.

Thanks for posting the videos. I watched them all and really enjoyed seeing the personalities involved with the original RC10. They all seem like a great group of guys, exploring limits, thinking about what they're doing analytically, and happy to share what they know. That looks like a fun and clean environment back in the day.

Yeah, that could be (and I hope it is) true. But my original question was supposed to be a little bit rhetorical though it wasn't obvious unless you know how Tower normally operates. What I mean is, Tower will let you order products that will never come in stock again (and by extension, pre-order more than the number they expect to get in stock). I ordered some Traxxas wheels on backorder one time and they stayed on backorder for over a year before Tower finally killed it because no more of those wheels were ever manufactured. We can only hope this isn't the case here or there will be a large group of unhappy people.

If that is the case then I guess the fact that the kit is still available on pre-order from Tower means nothing. Those who got in the earliest are the ones who will get their kits. It does seem that some people will miss out on a kit but since there will be a large amount of spare parts made available then those who did not manage to source a kit will be able to build an entire car from spares.

It seems that they do want to make the actual kit a collector's item and will make their money back via the provision of a vast amount of spares.

I wouldn't worry too much about whether its sold out at Tower or not. There will be people who have pre- ordered 5-10 kits, on the basis of the early 'limited to 2000' kits rumour, with a hope to sell some on at a profit Latest rumour is 2500 kits, but as its a 30th anniversary launch i'd imagine 3000 might be a better number, in which case i can see some personal bulk orders being scaled back somewhat.

And there will be pre-orders that people won't actually go through with - parts which have had to be remanuactured from new tools will be distinguishable from the originals, and as a result I can't see the same enthusiasm from the purists for a new kit.

I've ordered two within the UK but I'm not sure I will actually complete on both of them - I may change one order into a load of spares to rebuild an original into a modernised runner.

And there will be pre-orders that people won't actually go through with - parts which have had to be remanuactured from new tools will be distinguishable from the originals, and as a result I can't see the same enthusiasm from the purists for a new kit.

I don't think that will put many people off TBH. And it was already known that parts would be identifiable from the originals, as this little snippet confirmed on 10talk.

"So before I get started, let me recap yes as stated on my other post Lett just told me about a RC10 remake ,so without any further adue let me tell you what he said. When he said remake I looked him straight in the face and said no way you kidding, he said nope, I said I thought all the molds and tooling were gone and he said nope. We have over half of the original tooling and that they were going through them to find out what was still cost effective and useable compared to today’s technology, with CNC machines and injection molding and what not! and explained that the old parts where machined and hand trimmed and finished and were clunky and didn’t fit the best and that they are trying to get that same type of fill for the kit and parts, with the modern day fabrication process, like square sanded corners, rough shock towers etc, etc than he said that they were also working on a way that every new part would have a irreversible marking that would make it unique to the reissue kit. What did I just hear did I really just hear this rite from Mr. VP Cliff Letts mouth, yes I did! "

viewtopic.php?f=39&t=26724&p=271076&hilit=farmer+cliff+lett+rc10#p271076

I pre-ordered mine today from a dealer in sydney Australia.. i think this limited version will fluctuate in demand, i don't think there will be an exact certain number..

I pre-ordered mine today from a dealer in sydney Australia.. i think this limited version will fluctuate in demand, i don't think there will be an exact certain number..

I was going to suggest that on you kyosho post - Seems like you now have it sorted lol

I wouldn't worry too much about whether its sold out at Tower or not. There will be people who have pre- ordered 5-10 kits, on the basis of the early 'limited to 2000' kits rumour, with a hope to sell some on at a profit Latest rumour is 2500 kits, but as its a 30th anniversary launch i'd imagine 3000 might be a better number, in which case i can see some personal bulk orders being scaled back somewhat.

As for the limited number: my guess is that there's not really a big difference whether there are 2000 or 3000 kits. If you have to serve the whole world with it,that's pretty low number either.Remember when the limited 934 with black body was re-released:how many ? The numbers were up to 1XXXX if i'm right?So in a 10000 x units altoghether? They(Tamiya) ran pretty quick out of stock then, didn't they?

So if you really intend in getting one (and didn't preorder yet) i'd better hurry up :blink:

As for the limited number: my guess is that there's not really a big difference whether there are 2000 or 3000 kits. If you have to serve the whole world with it,that's pretty low number either.Remember when the limited 934 with black body was re-released:how many ? The numbers were up to 1XXXX if i'm right?So in a 10000 x units altoghether? They(Tamiya) ran pretty quick out of stock then, didn't they?

So if you really intend in getting one (and didn't preorder yet) i'd better hurry up :blink:

There were only approximately 1000 Tamtech Black Porsches made, not 10,000, and they all immediately sold out at the RRP. WIthin a few months the price had at least doubled, sometimes tripled, depending on the seller. Whether that happens with this RC10 re-release remains to be seen. If the production figure is indeed 2500 then I think it will.

.. how sort after the RC10 rere is after release will possibly depend on how quickly news comes through of further model releases. Those that miss out on tis one, may well be happy to wait 6-9 months if there is evidence of a stealth equipped kit or a World's edition.

RC10 The Winning Edge with " Jammin ' " Jay Halsey . Part 1 of 5.

Notice front rims on prototype car.

skipp