Toykid

RC10 original gold pan re-release - RCCA july 2013

This is a known bug caused by how the forums software is handling photobucket picture links in certain browsers.

weird thing is, I'd just finished posting 30+ pics in my Japan Visit thread, which worked out fine.

My 2 RC10 kits have made a pretty big October for me 3 new kits from Japan, makes 5 in total :)

• Like 2

FYI there will be a review of this kit in the RCcaraction January 2014 issue.

This seems kind of weird... Tower is showing the RC10 re-re discontinued now. So it's wait-wait-wait-wait-sold out-discontinued? What does that mean in terms of spare parts support? Are they assuming everyone is building a shelfer?

This seems kind of weird... Tower is showing the RC10 re-re discontinued now. So it's wait-wait-wait-wait-sold out-discontinued? What does that mean in terms of spare parts support? Are they assuming everyone is building a shelfer?

Hmm, hopefully it's just the kit that is discontinued, and the parts manufacturing will continue, or at least they have stock piled a heap of parts.

Picked my 2 up today, one box has a bit of a crease and dent, the other has a terribly placed sticker on the underside :( I guess the more damaged box kit will be the choice to build

• Like 1

It's going exactly the way AE said it would. They have made a small amount of kits for those that want the experience of building an original RC10 out of the box and additionally to preserve the value of vintage NIB kits. They also stated that there would be a full spares back up for the re-re for many years so those that still want one will have to tread the path of building it through buying the parts seperately themselves.

The speculated 2500 number of kits looks more than ever to be accurate.

Have to agree with Wandy - whilst AE are still not stating the production numbers, they have said its ca 1% of the total sales of the original gold pan. Hard to say what this really means on this side of the pond (I'd imagine US customers took >75% of the overall sales, maybe 90%+ in those pre internet days), but i guess BITD it was a dominant model and RC was probably a bigger hobby interest for kids.

If they sold half a million gold pans oiginally then 1% would be around 5,000 re-releases. Thats probably too high, given the later black and carbon chassis variants. An original gold pan sales figure of 250,000 - 300,000 units would put the muted 2,500 re-re number about right.

Indications over on RC10talk would indicate that whilst some local hobby shops have stock and others are only just getting their allocations, the bigger outlets like Tower have had all they are going to ever get. In the UK I think you'll still be able to pick one of these up from an online retailer at Christmas, possibly well into the new year, but maybe by summer '14 they will be off the shelves.

• Like 1

Saw few LHS here have them. Made an inquiry with one store and was told ordered for a customer and would not say for how much since they are not sure they can order any more hence cannot or do not want to tell me, as if a big secret. Not a big fan of RC10 unless the price is right. I think if the numbers are there, I am sure the factory will consider another "limited" re-release. Re release mostly attracts older clientele as newer players will likely go for the newer more capable models. What 19 year old will go for a re release 1985 VW GTi vs 2014, 210hp GTi, unless you are around 40 or 50 years old and remembered your older brother had one or you had one before.

What 19 year old will go for a re release 1985 VW GTi vs 2014, 210hp GTi, unless you are around 40 or 50 years old and remembered your older brother had one or you had one before.

What do 19yr olds know

I'd take the original - lighter, more fun at legal speeds, not weighed down by unnecessary kit, you can fit your golf bag in the boot !, better driving experience

But yes, with $250 to spend on a RC kit the latest Associated B4.whatever will trounce a gold pan on any surface, better quality components but no soul ;)

Have to agree with Wandy - whilst AE are still not stating the production numbers, they have said its ca 1% of the total sales of the original gold pan. Hard to say what this really means on this side of the pond (I'd imagine US customers took >75% of the overall sales, maybe 90%+ in those pre internet days), but i guess BITD it was a dominant model and RC was probably a bigger hobby interest for kids.

If they sold half a million gold pans oiginally then 1% would be around 5,000 re-releases. Thats probably too high, given the later black and carbon chassis variants. An original gold pan sales figure of 250,000 - 300,000 units would put the muted 2,500 re-re number about right.

Indications over on RC10talk would indicate that whilst some local hobby shops have stock and others are only just getting their allocations, the bigger outlets like Tower have had all they are going to ever get. In the UK I think you'll still be able to pick one of these up from an online retailer at Christmas, possibly well into the new year, but maybe by summer '14 they will be off the shelves.

Although they could have handled the actual marketing of the kit rather better I have to doff my cap to AE the way they are approaching this re-release. Make enough kits to satisfy the first few months of demand and then discontinue the kit as a mark of respect to the originals, whilst ensuring that a comprehensive spares back up is in place for a long time afterwards. It is something that Tamiya should have looked to do instead of just issuing kits and let the ebay kit parters do their spare parts dealing for them.

Looks like the second phase of USA distribution goes into full swing next week as mine are finally definitely on the way to my supplier. Gotta admit I am itching to build one of these now. :)

I want one too. Wanted one in the 80s, and I want one now.

I'm gonna ask for one for Christmas as the price is right and, I've been a good boy. :)

HI!.. Good luck trying to find one by xmas. 90% of them are sold already.

Thats a verified statistic i gather :rolleyes:

lee

Wow Tower Hobbies already shows them as "Discontinued". This is not good news. I thought the "limited edition" was just a term to generate hype. Even some guy claiming to be an Associated employee said the run wasn't going to be that limited.

Just finished my RC10 Classic Runner.

Well to say I'm a little disappointed in the build up . One of the front dampers are warped so much internally the piston had to be hand filed and chamfered so much i have to run different weight oils in to get then even on my Losi Shock dyno.

Built to run with a 9T EZ run and the stealth tranny was fitted up in the build up

PA270093_zps44b90828.jpg

PA270094_zps091cc3a2.jpg

• Like 4

HI!... The colour that i have found to best match the box art colour is Tamiya PS-19 Camel yellow. Do not back it with white or the colour goes light.

246BDEF0-FE80-45F3-9539-52A5BCE1C972-138

• Like 2

Box art body set was purchased of e bay.

Will be doing one close to it for this runner...

Just bought myself the last one in a LHS tonight, going to pick it up tomorrow, cannot wait, always wanted one of these back in the day

Never gave these much thought, after all as a kid there was only tamiya in my eye's and sure when i saw them re-re these i thought someone else jumping on the band wagon. But then i saw a few at our latest buggy meet and wow don't they look sweat and drive really well, so now im looking buying one as a runner.

Just finished my RC10 Classic Runner.

Well to say I'm a little disappointed in the build up . One of the front dampers are warped so much internally the piston had to be hand filed and chamfered so much i have to run different weight oils in to get then even on my Losi Shock dyno.

Built to run with a 9T EZ run and the stealth tranny was fitted up in the build up

PA270093_zps44b90828.jpg

That rear wing looks HUGE!

I didn't have any problems with the finish of any of the parts, but I think there needs to be some clarification on some of the instructions. For example, to keep the rear suspension in check, there needs to be 5/8 in of spacers added to the rear shock shaft. Also, the ball end on the front suspension arm needs to be rotated 180 degrees from how it's shown in the instructions. If you build it as shown, you'll get a good dose of binding.

Oh yeah, don't forget to add your re-re to the rc10 sig:

http://www.tamiyaclub.com/sig_member.asp?id=96

It wouldn't surprise me if most of the remaining UK stock gets bought by US customers. They now seem to be pretty much sold out in America.