Toykid

RC10 original gold pan re-release - RCCA july 2013

As previously mentioned: the Fox and the RC10 in the same year... I am quite amazed, and wonder if this has implications for those involved with 2WD vintage off-road racing...

As previously mentioned: the Fox and the RC10 in the same year... I am quite amazed, and wonder if this has implications for those involved with 2WD vintage off-road racing...

I just hope it means there will be clubs putting on some vintage races.

I'm off to build an old Schumacher Cougar from a pile of parts I have, just in case my local club decides to do it.

(Keeping my pre-ordered RC-10 for a rainy day)

For the vintage scene that is always growing & now that AE is on it with the legendary rc10 this may open the gates to others like Kyosho with the Ultima and the Losi JRX2.

With the cost of owning a buggy that you always wanted so cheap now days anything is possible .

Just on a side note back in 84 a RC10 in Australia was $550 alone ( kit only). Like $1500 by today standard.

Whatever way you look at it it's a win, win for the vintage scene. in my opinion.

M/R

that actually has me wondering... since AE + RC10 were US / made in the US items i wonder if they were scarcer in europe, australia, asia, etc. sometimes i find when comparing how much more tamiya is available in the UK vs the US - on ebay, for example, it seems obvious how much more of a hold tamiya had on the UK market for longer than the US market, and part of that i think is probably due to the RC10. if you just search for 'vintage RC' in the states you get about 10 RC10 related listings for each tamiya related one, at least. seems to be the inverse outside the US. or is it the same everywhere? part of it could be explained by the added cost associated with shipping and import duties, etc which brought up the price of RC10 more outside the US than inside... whereas with tamiya everywhere outside of Japan would have been in about the same boat.

that actually has me wondering... since AE + RC10 were US / made in the US items i wonder if they were scarcer in europe, australia, asia, etc. sometimes i find when comparing how much more tamiya is available in the UK vs the US - on ebay, for example, it seems obvious how much more of a hold tamiya had on the UK market for longer than the US market, and part of that i think is probably due to the RC10. if you just search for 'vintage RC' in the states you get about 10 RC10 related listings for each tamiya related one, at least. seems to be the inverse outside the US. or is it the same everywhere? part of it could be explained by the added cost associated with shipping and import duties, etc which brought up the price of RC10 more outside the US than inside... whereas with tamiya everywhere outside of Japan would have been in about the same boat.

Think this has two explanations:

1. In the US, AE (and others) are domestic brands, a domestic brand will often be more popular especially in the US (look at the 1:1 car industy, historically that is)

2. Some brands penetrate certain areas, UK are aparently Tamiya territory, here in Sweden Kyosho has been very dominant, for every one vintage Tamiya for sale there's atleast ten Kyoshos...

I have purposefully not been viewing the forum for a bit as we moved house and realise how much RC gear I have mainly have half or un-finished kits to, so dont need no more lol but then I see this doh! Never owned one but love the gold chassis and look of these!

Just spoke to Modelsport on the phone. They said they have been told the production run is 2000 worldwide. :o

Just spoke to Modelsport on the phone. They said they have been told the production run is 2000 worldwide. :o

I dont see that being true in the slightest TBH.

lee

I think that's bull associated will be selling these so fast probably faster than any kit they ever made they would be foolish to limit there production.

But what they may do is limit it and next year come out with the black chassis model and have a stelth tranny on it...or even the carbon fiber chassis.

Hmm-just tried to preorder one from tower but billing with paypal is not accepted because of a non-stock item. :wacko:

Because of the 2000 units worldwide- have a look here *scrolldown* http://www.rccarshop.co.uk/index.php/race-models/race-off-road-electric/team-associated-cml-centro/as6001-team-associated-rc10-classic-limited-edition-pre-order.html :blink:

So i'm happy to have my preorder from towers confirmed :)

Hmm-just tried to preorder one from tower but billing with paypal is not accepted because of a non-stock item. :wacko:

Because of the 2000 units worldwide- have a look here *scrolldown* http://www.rccarshop.co.uk/index.php/race-models/race-off-road-electric/team-associated-cml-centro/as6001-team-associated-rc10-classic-limited-edition-pre-order.html :blink:

So i'm happy to have my preorder from towers confirmed :)

Yes same with me, but it worked with a card thankfully !

ok - if this 2000 limit threat is the real deal i'm pre-ordering one today. i hate when companies do that to people. you know why? because someone is going to pre-order 50 of them and then sell them for $500 a pop come the fall.

Can't imagine the 2000 limit is true, anyway just placed my preorder to be sure. Bet they will end up with way more than 2000 preorders, and I doubt they will stop the production, if they are already sold.

I think that's bull associated will be selling these so fast probably faster than any kit they ever made they would be foolish to limit there production.

But what they may do is limit it and next year come out with the black chassis model and have a stelth tranny on it...or even the carbon fiber chassis.

You may well be right about the production limit. However I don't see them re-releasing all of the different variants of the original RC10, ie CE, Worlds, Black Pan, Graphite etc as a lot of people across various forums seem to be expecting. They have said they will release the Stealth at a later date but I think that will just come as a hop-up option, not an actual kit.

I just don't see AE doing a Tamiya and reissuing a huge chunk of their back catalogue. Tamiya can do it because of their size and the fact they have a massive amount of different kits to choose from that can get lost in amongst all of the new releases that keep being churned out. AE simply do not have that luxury.

A 2000 limit is stupid and would be like Associated saying "We don't like money. We'd definitely like to leave a lot of money on the table and not in our accounts."

All that said, I pre-ordered mine just now because businesses make stupid decisions all the time... :ph34r:

A 2000 limit is stupid and would be like Associated saying "We don't like money. We'd definitely like to leave a lot of money on the table and not in our accounts."

All that said, I pre-ordered mine just now because businesses make stupid decisions all the time... :ph34r:

This is total guesswork on my part but I get the feeling that AE may be a little nervous about how this affects their image as a brand. They have built a reputation on being at the forefront of RC technology with a small variety of products and reissuing old tech stuff will probably be seen to be more risky for them than the likes of Tamiya.

yes i agree that the 2000 limit might be for real. it's a superb way for them to blow up publicity-wise, get their brand out to new eyes, and get people buying their new products. i'd be surprised if they thought of re-issues as a business model in the way tamiya does b/c AE has always been foremost about racing, whereas tamiya has a good chunk of their business in the "casual" side of R/C. which suits me and most of us just fine! but the old school RC10's aren't going to keep the blood of race-obsessed AE customers pumping. i think the limited release is legit. i only wish they'd implement some kind of order limit, somehow. although that's probably next to impossible. best way would be to require each retailer to limit orders to 2-3 units per address. people could still order from many retailers, but it would make it a lot harder to corner the market and scalp these.

I dunno.. seems like a really bad idea. I mean, only 2000 made why am I going to unbox, build and run this thing? Where will I get parts? Is this just so people can have a shelfqueen to sigh over?

And does "rep" really sell THAT many r/c cars? Are they REALLY going to take a serious $$$ hit? That sounds utterly ludicrous to me but I'm not exactly an industry insider. Meh. I'm in line for one, hope I get it. Will be annoyed if its just a stupid nostalgia ploy; I really don't care about their racing products. <_<

I think an important factor in all this is that, reading between the lines, it is Thunder Tiger who have pushed this to happen and not AE themselves. Sure, they have hinted at it in the past but even on Saturday at RCX Roger Curtis went on record as saying he didn't understand what the fuss was about and he wouldn't have re-released it if he was still in control at AE.

Thunder Tiger are looking to become a bigger player on the scene and may have looked at the Tamiya re-re's and thought they would give it a whirl themselves and would probably re-issue all of the original variants if it was just down to them but I think the old guard at AE would strongly resist that.

Even though it seems to be the same kind of scenario unfolding as that which happens at Tamiya every 6 months I think the two situations are very different behind the scenes.

Wait - Thunder Tiger controls AE? Doesn't Tower control Thunder Tiger? I know they do Duratrax... and I have a vague sense that they may do Thunder Tiger also...

EDIT: OK - maybe I was confusing exclusive distributorship with ownership? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hobbico

Edited by beefmuffin

This is total guesswork on my part but I get the feeling that AE may be a little nervous about how this affects their image as a brand. They have built a reputation on being at the forefront of RC technology with a small variety of products and reissuing old tech stuff will probably be seen to be more risky for them than the likes of Tamiya.

Totally agree with Wandy here.

I bet that AE is more than nervous about the market's reaction. For me as a proof this can be clearly seen pricewise. With a very low retail of 250$ they can be sure to keep their risks pretty low. To be honest: AE could have asked 500bucks for this kit and still be sure to get rid of'em all wouldn't they?

All very interesting info... I had no idea how many mergrs and acquisitions there had been in the industry!