Sign in to follow this  
super gripper

Keeping a DT02 motor cool

I have always been not happy with regards to the DT02 gearbox, especially when it comes to keeping a motor cool. I understand it plays some part in protecting the motor but does nothing to help keep it cool.

So anyway I run a few DT02's and have loads of parts kicking around. I thought I would look at some options for keeping the motor cool or at least trying to keep it a little cooler !

I know there are many various heat sinks you can buy but most only fit a standard sealed silver can type motor.

So here's what I have done.

the gearbox as it comes

100513019_zps9c59b011.jpg

after a little modification and some holes for extra airflow.

100513018_zps2470b3b0.jpg

and I cut a lot away on this one. not sure how strong it is with the torque from this 19turn spec which is quite a powerful motor.

100513012_zps735b7f13.jpg

100513010_zpsfdca104f.jpg

• Like 2

Yea I hear ya ... you can't really put a much faster motor than the stock ones in this chassis due to the gear ratio and no option to use any size pinion you like.

Have you run it with this mod yet? I've thought about doing this with my HB2010 but never got around to it. Let us know how it works out.

well I ran it this morning, ran great. The motor stayed cooler for longer giving me a slightly longer run time and more consistent power but more importantly I didn't melt another gearbox B)

• Like 1

I overhet durtrax photon speed2 20turn in mine,i drilled few holes in mine,too scarred bout dirt getting in to chop more off,currently trying to work a fan in their,i dont get how people put fast brushless systems in em without issues but slower motor overhets

I overhet durtrax photon speed2 20turn in mine,i drilled few holes in mine,too scarred bout dirt getting in to chop more off,currently trying to work a fan in their,i dont get how people put fast brushless systems in em without issues but slower motor overhets

Sounds like you have a dodgy motor. did you run it in before putting it in the car ??

The brushless motor can doesn't have an endbell like most low turn brushed motors which means there's enough room to fit the Tamiya DT02 heatsink set (#53831) without modifying the gearbox casing.

For fast brushless systems the gear ratios are not there in the DT02. Nothing faster than 4500Kv (10.5 turn) really will work in the chassis. Ideal is around 3500Kv (13.5 turn).