Big Duke 6

Carisma 959

I picked up one of these. What a great piece of kit! I haven't had the chance to get mine prepped yet, but planning the following…

- Designing a clear lexan cover for the chassis to seal up as much as possible for snow, water and ice.
- Covering up the shocks
- Some detailing

I live in the great frozen north and NEED tires that provide a better solution than the stock ones. Ice, snow, gravel and dirt are all the business here in Northern Vermont.

I sourced some tires from eBay that are a perfect fit for the Carisma Porsche 959 rims. Best scale tread pattern I could find that fit. The front tires a tick narrower than the stock ones, but that might make for a better initial turn in or more understeer which can be dailed out with suspension adjustments. Also picked up a spare set of Carisma 959 rims direct from Carisma website in HK. Both recommended sellers.

Tires
http://www.ebay.com/itm/400969611598?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Carisma Porsche 959 rims
http://www.carisma-shop.com/en/product_detail.php?id=584

Here are the comparison photos. I left two stock tires and rims on one side to see.

24587659125_4bd6434f42_b.jpg

24505393491_f10b1acfdd_b.jpg

24681944456_9eb439fc4b_b.jpg

24340468969_b39d1d1752_b.jpg

24340467779_26a52eb248_b.jpg

24590364982_6dae7607fd_b.jpg

24340466109_fbe1775fd3_b.jpg

24681941066_322a035648_b.jpg

• Like 1

On ‎03‎/‎02‎/‎2016 at 4:18 PM, studioRS said:

I picked up one of these. What a great piece of kit! I haven't had the chance to get mine prepped yet, but planning the following…

- Designing a clear lexan cover for the chassis to seal up as much as possible for snow, water and ice.
- Covering up the shocks
- Some detailing

I live in the great frozen north and NEED tires that provide a better solution than the stock ones. Ice, snow, gravel and dirt are all the business here in Northern Vermont.

I sourced some tires from eBay that are a perfect fit for the Carisma Porsche 959 rims. Best scale tread pattern I could find that fit. The front tires a tick narrower than the stock ones, but that might make for a better initial turn in or more understeer which can be dailed out with suspension adjustments. Also picked up a spare set of Carisma 959 rims direct from Carisma website in HK. Both recommended sellers.

Tires
http://www.ebay.com/itm/400969611598?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Carisma Porsche 959 rims
http://www.carisma-shop.com/en/product_detail.php?id=584

Here are the comparison photos. I left two stock tires and rims on one side to see.

I just stumbled across this Carisma 959 and am liking what I see, great to see these new tyre choice too, they even come unglued from the black rims ready for a quick swap over onto the Carisma white rims.

I'm contemplating getting one of these, the fact it can run 3s lipo out the box is a bonus, but I'd like to know the gearing options for this car, does it come with a 12t pinion, but what pitch? Is the motor shaft 3.1mm (normal 1/10 size like for Traxxas Slash and Tamiya motors?)

On 4/3/2017 at 7:38 AM, Jason1145 said:

I just stumbled across this Carisma 959 and am liking what I see, great to see these new tyre choice too, they even come unglued from the black rims ready for a quick swap over onto the Carisma white rims.

I'm contemplating getting one of these, the fact it can run 3s lipo out the box is a bonus, but I'd like to know the gearing options for this car, does it come with a 12t pinion, but what pitch? Is the motor shaft 3.1mm (normal 1/10 size like for Traxxas Slash and Tamiya motors?)

It's a brilliant piece of kit as is, regardless of what tuning options there are or aren't available. Just having it in my Porsche collection is all I needed. 

Good questions. I can look and measure the motor shaft and pinion - see if it's 12T, not sure on the pitch but will look at this too. I have a Traxxas Slash 2WD with upgraded brushless Castle motor and ESC, can compare. 

For ref. not sure if this helps...

It IS noted on the box a 540 sized brushless motor.

ca70768_8.jpg

1 hour ago, studioRS said:

It's a brilliant piece of kit as is, regardless of what tuning options there are or aren't available. Just having it in my Porsche collection is all I needed. 

Good questions. I can look and measure the motor shaft and pinion - see if it's 12T, not sure on the pitch but will look at this too. I have a Traxxas Slash 2WD with upgraded brushless Castle motor and ESC, can compare. 

For ref. not sure if this helps...

It IS noted on the box a 540 sized brushless motor.

ca70768_8.jpg

Yeah I suppose if you're a Porsche fan it's a fine deal and whilst I'm not a Porsche fan I can still see the appeal!

**** I just saw Carisma do a very nice 1/10 brushless off road thingy which opens up running areas so I need to weigh up the two now.

Nice shot of the motor and esc, I do miss having a centre diff to play with!

Ahhh maybe, that Modelsport price tag was what was luring me in, would this be a risky purchase then for future spare spare parts? I've never heard of Carisma before but they have a massive product line and seem well connected in the UK? 

CML Distribution?

It is CML distribution. Unfortunatley, I have no idea on Carisma parts availability. I was also looking at this which is why I posted it.

They aren't a bad company, but out of a random 3 models I've picked out it seems most parts are 'supplier stock' only.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Jason1145 said:

Ahhh maybe, that Modelsport price tag was what was luring me in, would this be a risky purchase then for future spare spare parts? I've never heard of Carisma before but they have a massive product line and seem well connected in the UK? 

CML Distribution?

Correct, CML.  Yup, looks to be NLA, ghost town catagory on M48S...  

http://www.carisma-shop.com/en/product.php?cid=66

I ordered the rims directly from Carisma-shop and was fast shipping, no problems. Those look to be still available and many other spares too.  

Surely there's a scratch builder here that can knock off a proper 959 rendition with just a set of rims...  Happy I pulled the trigger on mine last year!

• Like 1

Hmm so maybe the M10DB Desert Buggy is looking a better choice?

its on sale too so not sure if it will be discountinued too?

But it says it's based off another buggy called the M10DT which isn't reduced so spares might carry over.

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/carisma-1-10-m10db-desert-buggy-ready-set/rc-car-products/394066

£139 for a 2WD, 2-3s capable Desert Buggy looks tempting!

Topic on the Desert Buggy, looks like it's been out for about 16 months already now.