Sign in to follow this  
shenlonco

DT02 chassis and brushless e -Z run KV

Hi Guy's Since my nephew and me got new fighter GR's I am thinking a 35 amp Ez run ESC with a tacon 2700KV motor will be a good set up for these buggies... any thoughts?

I do know in the DT02 chassis with the 17 tooth pinion my street rover on 2s lipo with the set up above but with a tacon 3000 KV motor it gets pretty hot and that's on road so this is why I am thinking the 2700KV motor will be good in the off road buggies and stay cooler.

Keep in mind these are the cheap 380 sized rotors in the 540 size can.

what does the 2700KV equate to as in a normal brushless (17.5 for example etc) or winds of a brushed motor ??

what does the 2700KV equate to as in a normal brushless (17.5 for example etc) or winds of a brushed motor ??

2700kx x7.2Volts = 19,440RPM I think it's a 15 turn motor.

2700kx x7.2Volts = 19,440RPM I think it's a 15 turn motor.

as in a brushed motor ? If so that is way to hot for a DT02 to be fun.

hi fella's ,

i have an 8.5 trackstar motor/ 60a ezrun esc in my hb2010 LTD with a 17t pinion and so far ,after many runs ,jumps and the odd tumble its still fine , the motor does get quite warm but never 'too hot' (will still be doing the mod as detailed in your other thread 'super gripper', especially for the summer months) , it is a handful but i find that with the punch and esc timing turned right down to minimum with some timing retardation on the motor its great, :)

• Like 1

hi fella's ,

i have an 8.5 trackstar motor/ 60a ezrun esc in my hb2010 LTD with a 17t pinion and so far ,after many runs ,jumps and the odd tumble its still fine , the motor does get quite warm but never 'too hot' (will still be doing the mod as detailed in your other thread 'super gripper', especially for the summer months) , it is a handful but i find that with the punch and esc timing turned right down to minimum with some timing retardation on the motor its great, :)

you certainly seem to have it all sorted ;)

I run a 19 turn spec motor in my DT02 and it can just about handle it with the ball diff fitted. I did try a 17 double in my other DT02 but that had a geared diff and the car was a complete handful.

Even with an anti roll bar on the rear it was cocking its legs like a boy racers hot hatch :lol:

the chassis was twisting from the excessive power and it was awful to drive.

• Like 1

my dt02 didn't hold up well to the ezrun 9t (4300kv) 35amp system. the car kind of fell apart, not to mention the wheelies ground a hole in the gearbox.

it was fun while it lasted, faster then the neighbors brushless traxxas trucks. steering was more of a wish then a command. lol

as in a brushed motor ? If so that is way to hot for a DT02 to be fun.

Brushless motor. Cheap 380 rotor in a 540 can deal like the EZ-Run. http://www.hobbypartz.com/96m273-2848-2700kv-15t.html

Motor getting 'hot' isn't the issue it's made out to be. It's how hot it gets. Normal running temperatures will burn your fingers on touch (65C-70C) just the same as a motor that is too hot will (100C+). Use a temp gun to know the exact temperature. Under $20 well spent.

Brushless motor. Cheap 380 rotor in a 540 can deal like the EZ-Run. http://www.hobbypartz.com/96m273-2848-2700kv-15t.html

Motor getting 'hot' isn't the issue it's made out to be. It's how hot it gets. Normal running temperatures will burn your fingers on touch (65C-70C) just the same as a motor that is too hot will (100C+). Use a temp gun to know the exact temperature. Under $20 well spent.

I do use a temp gun and with brushless motors it's best to stay under 150 deg or they go bad fast ...my dt02 street rover has a 380 sized 3000KV motor it's not to fast I am thinking 2700KV will be good I think it's only a few thousand more RPM than the Tamiya black motor.

I feel the 2700Kv will run just fine. Temperatures should be less than the higher Kv motor of the same brand.

It'd be a little slow for my taste, but I'm used to much faster setups.

I have read that some of these cheaper systems don't like to go over 160F or the magnets delaminate. Common user complaint (and warranty return cause) of the cheap Leopard systems. Not saying it's the same for the Tacon motors, but something to be aware of.

***EDIT: Let me rephrase. These Leopard 380 in a 540 can motors were FAILING (magnets come unstuck from the shaft) if they were taken over 160F. Cheap systems use cheap materials.

I feel the 2700Kv will run just fine. Temperatures should be less than the higher Kv motor of the same brand.

It'd be a little slow for my taste, but I'm used to much faster setups.

I have read that some of these cheaper systems don't like to go over 160F or the magnets delaminate. Common user complaint (and warranty return cause) of the cheap Leopard systems. Not saying it's the same for the Tacon motors, but something to be aware of.

Actually it's pro racers that don't like going over 140 degrees

On the speed I think it will be perfect for the buggy... heat always builds up with higher KV motors when using chassis like the dt02 that you can only go to a 17 tooth pinion gear the smallest.... with high RPM motors you need to go smaller pinion but on most of these tamiyas you can't.....that's the problem that causes heat issues... now with my other rc's losi associated traxxas you can use a high KV motor because you can fine tune it to what temperature you are shooting for by use of any size pinion gears.

Time to get those tools out and do some gearbox chopping :ph34r:

it does work, my motor does run cooler B)

100513012_zps735b7f13.jpg

or if you do not want to go so drastic I did one like this too :D

100513018_zps2470b3b0.jpg

Having used a 3500kV, true 540-sized, brushless system, it didn't cause any heat-related trouble at all with the DT-02 chassis. Just be sure to use a steel 17T mod 0.8 (or 32dp) pinion and ball bearings.

Having used a 3500kV, true 540-sized, brushless system, it didn't cause any heat-related trouble at all with the DT-02 chassis. Just be sure to use a steel 17T mod 0.8 (or 32dp) pinion and ball bearings.

Yes a true size will run cooler because they have much more torque to pull the buggies weight...I have a 2900 full size LRP in my HB and it runs cold even in grass.