TA-Mark

Really stupid things in RC

I'm sure everyone knows the famous Microsoft keyboard error message. It happens on just about every desktop computer if you turn it on without a keyboard attached. It comes up and says: "Error, No Keyboard... Press F1 to continue" Huh? The smart people that think these things up!

error-no-keyboard.jpg

Well, it occured to me tonight that my Futaba transmitter does a similar thing. When the battery voltage becomes too low, it beeps like crazy, flashes every LED and vibrates non-stop until you turn it off... Now wouldn't that use up that limited amount of power that is left even quicker? I've searched the manual and the settings and can not find any way to turn off this overkill warning.

If you've found a similar RC related 'stupid' error, please do post it.

My mobile phone does a similar thing: On low battery capacity, it emits annoying loud beeps every now and then. The only way to stop this was to manually switch to the "silent" or "vibration-only" setting, which makes you miss some calls.

Golf video removed - to view see RC car on a golf course on Youtube (contains a lot of swearing)

• Like 1

Ugly people these golfers.

Max

I don't know, (had to watch it with the sound off at work) but I was rooting for the golfers. Disproportionate retribution and so forth, but it's hard to garner sympathy when you're trolling a golf course.

I'm waiting for someone to post the vid of that girl getting tagged in the face by an RC at the BMX track.

My mobile phone does a similar thing: On low battery capacity, it emits annoying loud beeps every now and then. The only way to stop this was to manually switch to the "silent" or "vibration-only" setting, which makes you miss some calls.

A beep every now and then would have been the sensible low voltage alarm. This is constant, non-stop sound, light and vibration until it's turned off. Serious overkill.

I'm waiting for someone to post the vid of that girl getting tagged in the face by an RC at the BMX track.

The only error in that video is the 'error' holding the transmitter. A bit like the golfer video above. Good on the golfers! The RC should not have been on a golfing green, or golf course.

This one?

BikerFall2_zpscedba352.gif

Hadn't thought about it until you reminded me :P

Anywho... My only contribution to this thread that comes to mind is a lovely bit of Chinglish from a Panda instruction manual about first starting the car "Place model on box so wheels are aloof"

• Like 2

My best one is the wires on my Chinese eBay esc being soldered on the wrong way around so that in order to go forwards you have to put black to red and red to black.

I can't quite see how the guy can get so upset - what he did was asking for the golfers to do what they did!

I was half expecting a similar scene to the one in "Falling Down" though - I didn't think the guy chasing was going to last very long... :blink:

I can't quite see how the guy can get so upset - what he did was asking for the golfers to do what they did!

:lol: I can imagine the RC guy's (attempt at) reasoning: "How dare you get upset!? All I was doing was deliberately trying to make you upset!"

Wait until you get a brushless esc with the power wires soldered the wrong way around. And of course even if you do know how to check for that, you don't. Good news, it was fixed (replaced, like, 6 mosfets, 2 voltage regulators and a cap - not worth money-wise but if you have the time and happen to like electronics, why not).

Do non-hardened aluminum gears even need mentioning?

• Like 1

The stuff were designed by women. They know what buttons to push. Case in point...the mrs...you playing or buying rc again. Try turning that off and you will make millions and receive the best design of the century.

As for the golf and rc...i have to side with the golfer....because that was me.:-) Seriously these golfers could be playing for serious money and you will not be happy if $1000.00 was on that hole. Mind you one will not get in if was a private course and the securities if in asia will likely take the club to the rc owner's head and not the rc.

That golf course video must be a fake, just doesn't look right at all.

(When the guy hits the car you see it smash and at least one of the wheels fly off, when the lad picks the car up all of the wheels are attached. Also between the hit on the car and the run onto the green the players coming up the fairway in the background disappear)

Funny but 1000% phony.

• Like 1

A certain company pushing LiFe packs when LiPo is already the de facto standard.

• Like 1

(When the guy hits the car you see it smash and at least one of the wheels fly off, when the lad picks the car up all of the wheels are attached. Also between the hit on the car and the run onto the green the players coming up the fairway in the background disappear)

Funny but 1000% phony.

Mr. Holmes your observations are correct.

A staged vedio. Fake the link must be remove....TC policy per section 167a no fake allow..

A certain company pushing LiFe packs when LiPo is already the de facto standard.

Have to agree with that one! If they are so good, then the certain company's team drivers should be forced to use them in all championship races. Put your money where your mouth is and prove your product.

Funny but 1000% phony.

The wheel doesn't fly off, it looks like it but look at the 0:46 mark a few times and you can see that it's stuck to the car but at an awkward angle

Funny but 1000% phony.

yeah - it took me stepping through the frames of the hit frame by frame to be sure the wheel really did fly off of the car completely only to reappear later. yeah, it did. the rest could have some explanation, but not that!

video could do with a few beeps added,may i remind everyone this is a family forum,

GregM,please remove the video.

The wheel doesn't fly off, it looks like it but look at the 0:46 mark a few times and you can see that it's stuck to the car but at an awkward angle

We must be looking at different videos.. :D

Do you think the video is genuine then?

Clearly staged and clearly edited.

That videos been around for a while and I always thought something was fishy about it. If your RC skills are so bad that you couldn't avoid an old man with a stick, then you should put the TX down and perhaps take up knitting?

For me the most annoying thing I've encountered is the half power in reverse on the TEU104 & 105's... I mean what's the point? I can't see it's a racing thing and have trouble coming up with any situation that it helps. If Tamiya really must include it then why not make it part of the process to turn the reverse off? I.E. full reverse, half reverse or no reverse? Madness!

Cheap esc's are not programmable (simpler firmware, lower cost). Reverse is good to pull out when ahead is not an option, I set mine at like 25% to avoid accidentally slamming full reverse. Some brushed esc's use lower rated transistors for reverse ('cause they are cheaper), so there you have a possible reason.

Random plain stupid sorry unwise (or money driven) decisions in rc

- battery compartment not suited for hardcase lipo (wake up, this is 2013)

- several kits still coming with plastic bushings (really, it's end of may 2013 in the real world)

- reverse after brake with no protection, only a short timeout (some brushed esc's)

- stock 1600mah nimh batteries on 1:10 cars (really? like 10 minutes of runtime with no punch? ...after slow-charging for 14 hours?)

- steering servos with plastic gears (wanna bet how fast they strip?)

- analogue servos that do not work with some digital radios (remember that 2013 thingy? we all use 2.4ghz... or not?)

- metric vs imperial and teeth vs modulo pitches (thanks tamiya for not being stardard)

(feel free to add)