Sign in to follow this  
XV Pilot

Hotshot motor upgrade - Sport Tuned or something quicker?

Hi!

For my upcoming Hotshot build, I was wondering what motor to go for. The stock silver can doesn't do the car justice, but I don't want anything that will place excessive strain on the drivetrain or propel the car to silly speeds where crashes would be catastrophic.

My re-re Hornet is running a Sport Tuned black can, and I am happy with its level of performance. Which motor would you say would give similar performance in a Hotshot?

I believe a sport tuned would do fine but if you want to go real fast you might want to try the Super stock RZ Tamiya motor.

And if you're up for the vintage stuff, any Dyna Tech will make that Shot fly. ;)

I put a Traxxas Velenion brushless in mine and it was kinda on the edge of too much but it was drivable and loads of fun.

I believe a sport tuned would do fine but if you want to go real fast you might want to try the Super stock RZ Tamiya motor.

And if you're up for the vintage stuff, any Dyna Tech will make that Shot fly. ;)

I put the RZ motor into my hotshot re-re. I was playing with it in the shipping area where I work and there are still marks al over the floor from the nonstop 4wheel donuts and other nonsense. It's a freakin' rocketship with that motor! :blink:

I put the RZ motor into my hotshot re-re. I was playing with it in the shipping area where I work and there are still marks al over the floor from the nonstop 4wheel donuts and other nonsense. It's a freakin' rocketship with that motor! :blink:

No wonder. That thing is fast. And if you don't feel like getting replacement tires too soon, you better keep that Shot hitting the dirt! :)

I have an RZ in mine. I have a bad habit of over-powering cars and I wouldn't want any more motor in this car than an RZ. Watch your gearing too, mine gets a little warm.

RZ + 13T pinion + anti-wear grease in the diff bevel gears = PERFECTION!!!

I even run it w/ a TEU-101BK. Works well enough unless I try actually racing it. In a tarmac race w/ slicks it thermals at the 4 minute mark.

Moosey recommends a Tamiya GT-Tuned 25T motor along with a 15T pinion for the HotShot:

http://www.tamiya101.com/article_tamiya_hotshot.asp

This motor is covered within the TEU-101/104/105BK specifications.

I like that idea. While I am sure the car would be very quick on a RZ, I'd rather it be a bit slower and less likely to hurt itself on impact. I have my DF02 for when I feel like a bit of hairy driving. Thanks!

Got the sport tuned in my re re Hotshot.Gives a good performance increase for a cheap motor. Only issue I have is overheating/cut out. Using a TEU-105BK speed controller. 15t Pinion. quick enough for wheelspin and drifting anyway.

I used the Dyna Run brown 13T motor on the Boomerang so for sure the HS2 can manage this motor.

The Boomerang was very fast with 13T steel pinion gear.

Max

RZ all the way, got one in my HS and my Boomerang, awesome motors imho

The RZ & TZ/BZ are some of the best motors ever made. If only they had ball bearings too.