BiggusDitchus

Biggus' Rat Rod King

Dunno why but just loved the idea of this and I havent seen one done (although no doubt someone here has done). I acquired another King Hauler shell and other bits n bobs and today started on the body.

Started off with this..

1-5_zps466dd45f.jpg

So off with the sleeper..

2-6_zps94990a27.jpg

Then off with the wheelarches

3-5_zps589e7a83.jpg

Now for a roof chop, figured easiest way is to go with the width of masking tape to ensure I got it the same all way round.. and to be honest its worked out really well, not too much in the way of any gaps.

4-5_zps8d0264a3.jpg

5-6_zpscf913ae1.jpg

6-5_zpsd159d6c5.jpg

Now I was going to mod the roof to fit the truck body which would mean cutting it in half and adding a piece but looking at it I figured that shortening the door by 5mm would be much easier which I have now done.

This is a general idea of layout I plan for..

7-2_zps5e4940f6.jpg

Front tyres are Wild One/Buggy Champ, as felt the stock truck ones were too big.

• Like 2

Cool idea. I think you should slice the roof and extend the roof. Shortening the cab would make it too short.

You could slice some more from the bottom too (about 2mm). I think it looks a little too tall at both the hood and roof lines. This would remove a little more of the old wheel arch curve cutout.

It so needs the turntable mounted on the back above the axle where you would normally put a tiny tray or box on a rat rod truck.

Looks good Rich!

A way off at the mo, but what kind of paint are you thinking?

Would look great with a visor over the screen.

Would be nice to have the servo horn protruding from the side of the bonnet sides, and a long steering arm link going to the front axle. Nice work :-)

Thanks all, Joe the paint is planned to be a blue/purple/green flip but not 100% yet. I do hope to do something along those lines with the steering. And will be using the stock visor, that already covers half of what little windscreen there is LOL.

Bit done on the chassis, not running any rear suspension so was easy enough to make a bracket to bolt axle on.

8-3_zpsaac73d14.jpg

Sat the shell on, which has now been stripped of paint and some filler put on. Still loads to do!

9-2_zpsd5485001.jpg

• Like 2

This is gonna be KILLER!

Would look awesome in primer colours, maybe olive drab with some military decals?

Front axle arrived today, bought it as it was a cheaper option than a Tamiya one with all the knuckles etc and am very happy with it the finish and work on it is superb. Just mounted at moment with a pair of leaf springs but i think i will be fitting some links under the chassis too.

10_zpsf6a96bfc.jpg

11_zpsb8656d21.jpg

Front wheels are standard King Hauler but inner bead cut off so that the Tamiya Buggy Champ fronts arent too stretched.

I have also fitted a HPI wheelyking crawler inline reduction gearbox with a 55t motor. Standard King Hauler Body mounts have been fitted too so the body is secure to chassis now.

• Like 2

Really enjoying this one and seriously now looking at trying to sort a rusty/worn paint look for it.. along with shiny chrome.

Been working trying to get rid of all the joins etc I have put in. Starting to get there now, picked up a set of fenders for it and some nice shiny stacks.

12_zps67152b72.jpeg

• Like 1

Hey speedy sorry not replied, as you will see in photos I have made a small flatbed with wood sides, grille will just be a basic setup.

I have now got the bed sorted along with a fuel tank my mate has done on his lathe. The rear lights are the original marker lights from roof.

img280_14092013212430_1.jpg

img280_14092013212430_2.jpg

img280_14092013212430_3.jpg

That's it for now until the shell comes back from paint... this isn't a Rat rod anymore just a Rod :)

• Like 1

Cracking bit of carpentry fella - hurry up and finish the rest of it B)

Cheers Andy, little more done but still loads to do.

Paint is finished, the wrap hasn't worked really well but it adds to the effect want to get a logo made up for the side but not sure what.. thinking of the name for it being "deadbeat" in line with all the skulls.

img280_17092013232420_1.jpg

img280_17092013232420_2.jpg

img280_17092013232420_3.jpg

img280_17092013232420_4.jpg

The colour is a green, gold, copper flip. Doesn't show well in the photos.

• Like 2

That looks great! Just out of interest, what did you use to strip the paint off the shell?

The painter has a shot blaster which he let me use, turned the pressure down very low and spent a while clearing paint off. It just needed a light sand.

Spectacular! love the dip technique.

Throw some grey stain on that wooden bed, and it would look awesome!

Nice work!
Cheers,

Skottoman

Looks really great!.. If it was mine, I think I would try to cut up a couple of those truck tyres, and join the bits together to make 1 single. superfat tyre instead of 2 seperate ones. ;) Kinda like a drag slick, only without the "slick" part. ;) (Of course, you COULD sand down the tread after joining the bits, to MAKE it slick. ). :D

Epic build! Really individual and inspiring and top quality work too.

I agree with Skottoman though, some stain and weathering on the bed would make it really pop.

Taken a while but I guess I needed some special wheels to suit the truck then saw these on Joes ebay site and had to get them. At the Leyland show Gareth was selling a set of low profile RC4wd tyres and grabbed them cheap (£5 for the pair). Think it looks tons better.

img280_07112013222719_1.jpg

img280_07112013222719_2.jpg

img280_07112013222719_3.jpg

img280_07112013222719_4.jpg

img280_07112013222719_5.jpg

img280_07112013222719_6.jpg

Reckon we could do some damage with those spikes :)