Sign in to follow this  
racefaceec90

one tamiya to do it all?

i don't have 2 pennies to rub together atm (am paying a road bike off),was just thinking what model to buy when funds allow.

if possible would like to be able to do a bit of everything (not race though,as no club where i live).just a bit of bashing off/on road and if poss some rock crawling too (most of all fun to drive).

i know it's probably a moon on a stick question,but if you were to buy just one tamiya what might you choose?

i have only owned a manta ray (early 90's) so my experience of rc is shall we say pretty narrow although i did have a quick go on a fox back in the 80's;-)

ta in advance :-)

My advice is wild dagger. 4 wheel drive monster truck which goes well both quick and slowly climbs well etc. Only down side is also its redeeming feature twin motors means if you want to go faster its twice as expensive but it has plenty of torque for most situations. Failing that the new xv01 chassis looks pretty capable offroad.

TA01/02/DF01 chassis came in various guides from on road touring cars through buggies to stadium truck style models. Similarly the TL01 chassis

The TL-01 is more limited in pinion sizes than the TA/DF.

I would second the suggestion of a WR01 (Twin Detonator/Wild Dagger/Double Blaze/Dual Hunter) if you want something that can do it all on a budget.

I have one which I converted to 4WS (cheap and easy to do) and it is probably the most versatile model in my collection.

- With high-turn motors and locked diffs it can do a fair job of crawling.

- With stock motors it is a good fun basher.

- The gearboxes are tough, and capable of handling a lot of power if you want to go fast.

- It can cross most terrain without getting stuck or bogged down.

- It is cheap to buy and maintain.

- 4-wheel steering makes it highly maneuverable, to the point that indoor use is quite practical despite its size.

Another highly versatile chassis is the TL01, which can be built as a touring car, rally car, drifter, buggy, stadium truck or monster truck, and can be changed between different configurations by swapping a few parts. It is rather old technology now though, so you might prefer the TT02, which has just been released, and seems to be almost as versatile (although I haven't seen a monster truck version yet).

i don't have 2 pennies to rub together atm

I'd second the Wild Dagger suggestion (lexan shell seems to keep the 2nd hand price down), though I find Percymon's TA/DF suggestion intriguing - time for some research.

thanks a lot everyone for your replies.definitely given me some food for thought :D

i have to admit though that when i have the money and i could find one,i would buy a re-issue avante in a heartbeat B) i would be more than happy with that ;)

I'm with Percymon. The TA01/TA02/DF01(Manta Ray) group of chassis is the most versatile. Being tourer, rally car, scale 4x4, buggy, 4x4 stadium truck, or monster truck all with changing a few suspension components, wheels and a pinion tooth count.

Unlike the TL01 which you can do similar to with the suspension, the TA01/02/DF01 group of chassis has a wide range of drive ratios from 6.44:1 to 11.27:1.

And the best thing about them is they are still a current platform with the DF01 (TA01 length tub) being under the Porsche Cayenne and the TA02T under the re-release F-150 and Desert Fielder, so part supply is no problem.

The TL01 is a great all around basher. Can do alot by just swapping parts from other models. My TL01 is actually currently on a Wild Dagger suspension. Basically a TL01L on crack. But took a little work to do.

I used a Wild dagger as a donor to do it. Now im thinking of wasting some cash on aluminum hop up part replacements, then put the original plastic stuff back on the Wild Dagger, and build it back up so i have two cars going.

My choice would be my CR-01. Out of all my cars, it gets the most wheel time.

TA01/2's are the most versatile chassis. I have a 4wd scale crawler (locked front and rear diffs) rally ones, buggy ones and you can even slam them down to the ground and they are ok for a little onroad action