stamatis

What ΝιΜΗ battery?

I am looking for an 8.4V 5000mAh NiMH battery.

Something to give really long running times and be reliable and good quality cells.

Any suggestions please?

From your experience, what would you choose?

Cheers,

Stamatis

I just typed your preference into eBay and got 8 results in the UK alone. Personally I'd go for the Vapextech ones, had good service from my nimhs from them but I always slow charged them on my initial charge. Have a couple 3300 nimhs that are still going strong after 8+ years of constant use and mostly fast charged.

What about:

-Intellect,

-Venom Racing

-Duratrax

-Racers Edge?

Thanks,

Stamatis

Depends how much you want to spend , and shipping costs if they can't be sourced locally.

I've personally had no isuses with the Vapextech packs, but a 7 cell pack is probably going to be a bit pricey on the shipping. If you can source any of the ones you listed locally for similar money then those manufacturers are perhaps more 'racing' biased (although marketing hype doesn't always mean better products).

I personally have had little success with any of the Venom Racing products. Their motors are pure junk. Their battery packs are poor, with the exception of their Ni-Cd 1800mAh packs which have all been good and still going after many years. The Ni-MH packs of theirs I bought didn't even last out 100 cycles before one or more cells in the pack failed.

About 12min runtime from their Ni-Cd 1800mAh packs with kit motors and kit supplied ESCs in 4WD buggys. I bought them for my kids and for the roto-starter for the HPI nitros.

The Intellect Ni-MH packs I bought were good, but they couldn't handle the discharge rates required for the MambaMax systems I'm using in most cars.

Can't comment on the other brands you mentioned.

After some bad experiences with Orion switched to Vapextech. Good run times and reasonably priced. About 22 quid off ebay. (official vapextech seller). Dont think you will go far wrong with these.

Hmmm...

Intellect and Vapextech cost the same...

So the winner is....???

I'd suggest go with the one that is easier for you to contact should any issues arise - buy locally if possible. There is probably very little between the packs themselves, built for a simialr price level.

Just consider as Mark stated, what model and motor you want them to power and can they provide enough current flow.

I have a 17T double brushed motor in a Blitzer Beetle - two 3300mAh packs couldn't keep up witht he current demands, the Vapextech 5000mAh was perfect. I was quite surprised the smaller capacity batteries were lacking, 17T brushed motor is hardly mega fast and a 2wd lightweight car like the Blitzer shouldn't have proved much of a challenge either.

Thanks guys for your replies...

This battery is supposed to power a 15T 550 motor of Miss Geico 24" boat.

Stock 7.2V 2400mAh lasts less than 10 minutes medium speed and becomes really hot after some seconds of full throttle...

So probably the winner is... Vapextech!

Stamatis

If your packs are getting overly hot in a boat change to one size smaller diameter water screw (reduces load).

I've got a couple of Vapetech batteries, they're really good :)

FYI, it's cheaper by a couple of quid to buy from their website direct, rather than ebay,

I'd take notice of TA Marks advice. If you're over heating after ten mins on 2400, then the extra mah in the bigger battery will only make things worse! Sounds like you need to either change the screws or add some cooling.

The boat is totally stock. Motor has some cooling, but battery and esc have not.

Also everything is sealed so it is complcated to add some cooling, at least an air flow one...

It is not getting overheated to the point of melting, but in a way hotter to what I am used to consider hot with car batteries...

Could be it was the first run?...

Promise to go slower in the future :wacko:

Anyway, this is a Tamiya forum, don't want to be banned ;)

Thank you all,

Stamatis

Stock doesn't mean they got it right. On one of my boats I needed to drop the screw size by 3mm diameter before it was right. The battery was litterally smoking after it's first test run with the supplied screw.

What is unexpected to the boating beginner is that it actually goes quicker through the water with the right size screw as the motor can rev out to it's comfort zone. Not to mention better runtimes, and less strain on the ESC and battery. It's much the same as getting the right FDR in a car when you fit a hotter motor.

I don't think you'd get banned for talking about RC on a RC forum. Maybe the thread should have been in 'electrical' or 'other makes' and not in 'general' though. A mod will move it if it's a problem I'm sure. Twinset (and the other mods) are pretty good to us users.

I will check, as I have no idea how to choose the correct smaller screw (yet...).

I guess I have to study many boat related pages...

Many thanks for your kind help and useful advice :-)

Cheers,

Stamatis

i use core rc 5000mah with a 14t triple brushed , it rips , for ages and ages and ages !!! B)

This is exactly why forums rock, I was only thinking to myself, 'what brand should I buy for my next battery' and bam, this appears on the forum. Result, Vapextech it is!

Lol, any possibe rc related question is properly answered somewhere in these forums :-)

Btw mine is on the way..

--------------------------

I received mine, charged and tested and it is really super! I am so happy!!! Punch, long running times! Perfect choice I must say!

Thakn you all guys!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by stamatis