Klausen

Hi lift vs. Bruiser rere

Regarding the axles width, not too long ago I think I've seen someone here in TC making a mod to make both the same width as the rear one. My only concern about that is the fact that the front axle is much more realistic (in proportions to the real Toyota SR-5) than the rear axle, so if you're making both axles like the rear one, you're only making your scale truck look kinda odd.

I dont understand why people are saying that the Bruiser is loud. I was running mine last night and it was as quiet as any other electric vehicle. Maybe the assembled the trans wrong. I love it. I built mine as a Re-re esq Mounty. Get the bruiser. I also dont see the issue with the axles. To me they look fine. However companies like RC4wd have excellent scale options along with killer bead locks. Here is mine:

dsc0001tu.jpgdsc0002lu.jpg

• Like 1

Great looking Bruiser. I already have mine, but haven't had time to start the build yet.

Nice, I just read the entire thread and saw you purchased the bruiser. Good choice. Someone mentioned that it was only the tires and bumpers that were from the old bruiser, this is incorrect. The onything redesigned are the tranny and axles that have difs not spools. Everything else is the same. A rela fun build and truck to run! Get to building!

Nice, I just read the entire thread and saw you purchased the bruiser. Good choice. Someone mentioned that it was only the tires and bumpers that were from the old bruiser, this is incorrect. The onything redesigned are the tranny and axles that have difs not spools. Everything else is the same. A rela fun build and truck to run! Get to building!

Well the body is different...

Well the body is different...

Barely, that is more economy of scale than anything else. They already had the molds from the Hilux hilift, no reason for a new mold to add a cap, and front grill assembly. The front grill assembly is better than the original as it makes it easier to properly detail it than it was when it was a one piece. Splitting hairs there. Still about a 90% parts are the same between the two: Frame (scrub off powder coat if you want), springs, shackles, shocks, tires, wheels (yes from mounty but you can now purchase the 3 piece of you want), said bimpers, lights, mirrors, you get the point :)

I'll have to write down a quick list to clear this. Read below.

Barely, that is more economy of scale than anything else. They already had the molds from the Hilux hilift, no reason for a new mold to add a cap, and front grill assembly. The front grill assembly is better than the original as it makes it easier to properly detail it than it was when it was a one piece. Splitting hairs there. Still about a 90% parts are the same between the two: Frame (scrub off powder coat if you want), springs, shackles, shocks, tires, wheels (yes from mounty but you can now purchase the 3 piece of you want), said bimpers, lights, mirrors, you get the point :)

I'm staring at my own example of the 1985 Bruiser truck as I write:

1. The wheels are a darkened copy from the 1993 Mountaineer model. They are not even the same from that one.

2. The axles are not the same. Differentials and overall shape are different. A side-by-side comparison would clear things up.

3. The motor is different in size and torque. We're talking about a 750 vs. a 540.

4. The transmission is different in shape, size, and functions.

5. The radiobox is different. The new Bruiser has a copy from the 1993 Mountaineer.

6. The body is different from all of the previous Toyota SR-5 bodies, the 1985 Bruiser, the 1993 Mountaineer, AND the 2007 High-Lift. Sure you can interchange parts from these bodies, but they are not exactly the same. The new one has more holes and a detachable ext. cab, not to mention the bed's mounting holes for the rear posts of a Mountaineer's (or High-Lift's) roll-bar.

7. Mirrors are different, and the new Bruiser has two instead of just one. And because of the larger mounting hole in the new body, there is no way you can use the new one on the original truck.

8. All of the clear parts are darker than the ones from the original model truck. You can not get the original look on your 1985 truck by using them.

9. All of the chrome parts are now darkened.

10. The front grill is different.

11. Driveshafts are different.

12. The decals doesn't have the original sponsors, something that is a common problem in all of the reissued cars Tamiya is been selling the last ten years.

It is not correct to say that 90% of the new Bruiser is the same from the one that was released in 1985. I'm unsure about the frame, as I don't have the re-re frame here to make a side-by-side comparison, but so far the tires, shocks, and bumpers doesn't make much on your point. Further than that, it can be misleading to any TC member who might want to buy the new kit (or parts of it). I understand someone saying the Super Clod Buster, or the Grasshopper being 90% exactly the original, because of only two or three small bits revised, but certainly that is not the case with the 2012 Bruiser.

Remember, this is not a discussion about which Bruiser is a better runner or easier to finish. When saying the 2012 Bruiser is actually a different RC vehicle I was meaning that while at first glance things do look the same, they are indeed different.

You all have a good Wednesday! :)

• Like 1

A 750 in a bruiser? Can't be can it my emaxx has a 820 and that's huge.

Yes, a Mabuchi RS750 motor.

And to this day it remains as the biggest motor ever used in a Tamiya RC model truck.

I loved these side-by-side videos. The RC4WD doesn't looks as good as the Bruiser, and I can say I'm very impressed by the performance of the re-re Bruiser (although -as Japanscaledriver previously said- it really "whines in low gear").

Great videos!

i do not know why but there is a certain something that the Bruiser (and Mounty) have that the RC4WD ones miss.

I actually far prefer the scale Yota axles on the RC4WD and also the wheels, but there is an almost indefineable weight and mass in the Tamiya offerings that seems missing in the RC4WD ones. I have been very tempted by trying to combine the two... Bruiser / Mounty body / chassis / gearbox with RC4WD axles and wheels.

I think they are both excellent trucks so I think either would not have been a bad choice. Good on you for choosing a Bruiser I have a F350 which is a fantastic kit both to build and drive and like XV Pilot said there are some great upgrades available (I am currently saving up for the Junfac lift kit) but I would also love a Bruiser so please post some piccys when its finished and let us know what you think you have used it. I am sure it will be a fun build.

My Hi-Lift..

co8p.jpg