super gripper

DT02 challange event

Hi,

Booked my son in over the weekend...we're both very new to R/C - we built our first car (Holiday Buggy 2010 Red Edition) over the bank holiday weekend this August.

I've got a 540 Sport Tuned motor on the way from eBay this week and hope to fit it (to replace the stock 340 motor) over the coming weekend and also get out on our local BMX track for a bit of practice.

At the moment we have one 2400mH 7.2v stick pack - how many additional batteries do you think I'll need with me to get my son through all the races?

Also...

I'd like to enter myself into the "Stock" class as well (son is in the Juniors as he's only 6 and a total beginner like me!)...we only have the one car at the moment so we would be sharing it - my question is:

How many fully charged batteries do you think I would need to make it through the day if we're both sharing the same car?

I'll bring my charger with me but it takes 2.5 hours to charge our battery...I also don't know how much of an effect on run-time the faster motor will have...

Very excited to be part of this event though - seems like it will be a great introduction to the sport! :)

Hey RC-Dad,

Super Gripper will keep you right. I went along with my son last year, which was our first time racing (though I was in the pits while he raced). We had a great day and I am sure you and your son will enjoy it also. My son is back this year to have another go and will be joined by his younger brother, cousin and uncle, all first timers! Oh, and I will be having a go this year and sharing a car with my nephew!!

See you on the 29th!

• Like 1

Hi Jedward...nice to hear from you...yes, Super Gripper has been very very helpful already...great to feel so welcome especially as a pair of complete beginners.

Will keep an eye out for you on the 29th...sounds like I will be repeating your experience from last year.

• Like 1

been racing my dt-02 for a year and is great fun .. if you need help just ask i'm easy to spot just look for the tallest person with the maddest hair :D

• Like 2

>>>>>>>>>>>>> there will now be no tires available track side <<<<<<<<<<<

the guy who was bringing them has dropped out of the event.

the best tires for the modified class are these :-

Schumacher yellow mini spikes for the rear

http://www.modelsport.co.uk/schumacher-mini-spike-rears-yellow-2.2/rc-car-products/2300

with Schumacher tubby inserts

http://www.modelsport.co.uk/schumacher-tubby-insert;-med-rear-cat-pr-/rc-car-products/367504

on DF03 rear wheels.

on the front you will require Schumacher yellow slim cut staggards

http://www.modelsport.co.uk/schumacher-stagger-rib-yellow-slim-pr-/rc-car-products/33497

with a medium front insert

http://www.modelsport.co.uk/schumacher-front-2wd-slim-foam-tyre-insert-med-1pr-/rc-car-products/32129

on Desert Gator or Sand Viper front wheels.

this is the tried and tested tire set up, other tires might work but no where near as good as these tires which are correct for the track.

Remember, the right tires are 80% of a cars set up :D

>>>>>>>>> this info is for the Mod class ONLY <<<<<

• Like 2

Ok, I'm in I've just paid out for the Standard class and I'm really looking forward to it.

I'll bring a wheelie for the fun run as well.

See you all there!

• Like 2

Not only are there trophies/medals & a special gift for everyone competing in the DT-02 Challenge event this year, FUSION HOBBIES have kindly donated some Tamiya 'goodies' as additional prizes for the top Concourse D'Elegance and top Juniors drivers on the day.

Has everyone finished their funky DT-02 bodyshell designs yet??

http://www.fusionhobbies.com/

PS - there's gonna be a charity raffle for a new DT03 kit too!

• Like 2

Well played Simondo! Especially regarding the charity fundraising. Which charity?

So, with just over one week to go, I'm finally in receipt of all the parts needed to upgrade my HB2010 to meet the entry requirements for the challenge...going to have a very enjoyable evening tonight fitting all these bits, then me and the boy will be out this weekend practicing and enjoying all the extra speed...

img43173_19092014160710_7.jpg

• Like 1

This year is shaping up to be huge :D

Lots and lots of new names this year ready to sample the delights if trying to get a DT02 around a proper race track :lol:

Plus some known experienced racers dipping their toe in to the world of Tamiya one make racing........

With all this and a fun Lunchbox/Pumpkin wheelie race at lunchtime is going to be all go this year :o

• Like 1

I built my Standard Class entry in under 3 minutes. ;)

I've still not even started mine yet, its gone crazy mad at work. I've got all new electrics AGAIN! hopefully my electromagnatisum won't interfere with it. :D

• Like 3

Fantastic build John :D always good to see more DT02's getting built.

I will have some chassis covers with me on the day :D Usual price.

101113001_zpsff36cfb0.jpg

• Like 1

My entry.

I've gone for a simple scheme this year in contrast to last year's over the top Tommy Cooper Mobile with flashing lights. Just some carbon vinyl and a cowboy hat converted into a trucker cap.

img30876_20092014170003_1.jpg

• Like 3

This year is shaping up to be huge :D

Lots and lots of new names this year ready to sample the delights if trying to get a DT02 around a proper race track :lol:

Plus some known experienced racers dipping their toe in to the world of Tamiya one make racing........

With all this and a fun Lunchbox/Pumpkin wheelie race at lunchtime is going to be all go this year :o

Apologies if you covered this before, but can I use our WW2 for the Wheelie race?

Apologies if you covered this before, but can I use our WW2 for the Wheelie race?

Any wheelie will do chap :D its only for fun ......

• Like 1

Can anyone help, I've bought some 3 racing shocks to replace the pogo sticks from tamiya.

They have a fitting for a ball joint on the bottom of the rear ones, ANY IDEA WHAT SIZE BALL JOINT I NEED TO BUY TO SCREW IN TO THE REAR SWING ARM ????

Only 6 days till race starts, I need to get a move on.. :)

SRB bloke,

firstly you will need to build your 3Racing shocks with Tamiya seals and lots of green slime or they won't last the day without dumping all their oil everywhere :o oh and bin the shock oil and replace it with some known weighted oil from some one like Associated B)

I have built up a few sets for TC people now using this method :D you can pop them in the post to me chap and I will get them done for you :D ...... pm me B)

the balls you need are the standard Tamiya ones.

Can anyone help, I've bought some 3 racing shocks to replace the pogo sticks from tamiya.

They have a fitting for a ball joint on the bottom of the rear ones, ANY IDEA WHAT SIZE BALL JOINT I NEED TO BUY TO SCREW IN TO THE REAR SWING ARM ????

Only 6 days till race starts, I need to get a move on.. :)

Steve, DT-03 Shocks (available on ebay for £19) could save you a load of pain.

My 3Racing set emptied last year and wrecked my final as my Desert Gator bounced all over the place.

The assembly version of the 3Racing shocks are 'shocking' in my opinion so do take Lee up on his offer or get some Tamiya DT-03.

The assembly version of the 3Racing shocks are 'shocking' in my opinion so do take Lee up on his offer or get some Tamiya DT-03.

I've taken Lee up on his very kind offer

Fingers crossed.

• Like 1

Two of our three cars ready for Sunday, both in the juniors. The 'Red Baron' returns for a second time, while 'Gnarly Charlie' is new. The 3rd car is going to be made up from odds n sods and will be a bit of an ugly duckling!

post-41593-14114046309738_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

ok just full rebuilt my sand viper as a years racing everything was getting a bit loose or just worn out new gearbox got cut the Super Gripper way :)10707693_10154617361270506_1562782860_o.

• Like 2