super gripper

DT02 challange event

In the interests of an easy and smooth running day, might as well post the rules up again. I've also added in a note regarding the gearbox cut-away/drilling for motor cooling which has been allowed, something like the photo shown above. See you there guys!

RULES

TAMIYA DT-02 CHALLENGE 2014

These construction rules are here simply ensure fair competition and of course encourage enjoyment for ALL. We therefore ask you to respect them.

GENERAL RULES APPLYING TO 2010 Holiday Buggy & 2011 Sand Rover CLASS

1. Only 2010 Holiday Buggy (Blue or Red body) 2011 Sand Rover & Street Rover cars may be entered. All other DT-02 models/body-shells are excluded from this class, and therefore will be automatically entered into the ‘Modified’ class.

1. MOTORS – there is a choice of motors (sealed can) where strictly limited to using:-
  1. Any Tamiya kit supplied ‘silver can’ 540 motor.
  2. The Tamiya ‘Sport Tuned’ 540 motor.
  3. The Tamiya ‘Torque’ Tuned 540 motor.

IN ALL CASES THE MOTOR MUST BE COMPLETELY AS STANDARD, IT MUST NOT HAVE BEEN OPENED NOR HAVE THE FACTORY TIMING TAMPERED WITH IN ANYWAY.

The use of heat sinks to cool the motor is permitted and/or 'cut-away' / 'drilling' of existing outer rear gearbox motor covering to allow better airflow around motor.

1. Additional items / components cannot be added to the car (such as second motors or larger external bumpers etc.) unless clearly stated otherwise herewith.

1. All standard kit parts must be used, unless specific allowance is stated herein. The use/exchange of parts with stronger parts/hop-ups (such as alloys) is forbidden, whether the parts are the same design or not.

1. Front shock tower braces are permitted (3Racing, Carson, Tamiya).

1. BODYSHELL - The body-shell must be securely fastened at all times. This can be decorated by the user, but please ensure that decoration is not offensive.

1. RADIO GEAR - Any commercially available radio control gear conforming to UK law can be used (either frequency of 27MHz, 40MHz or 2.4GHz).

Where 27Mhz and 40Mhz is intended for use, please be prepared by having a choice of frequencies available on the day, and inform the Race Director when booking in at race control as to the use.

1. SPEED CONTROLLERS - Any commercially available speed controller (suited to operating the MOTORS listed) can be used.

1. BATTERY PACK - Any commercially available, but only 7.2v Sub C sized NiCd/NiMH or the equivalent dimensioned 7.4v (2S) HARD CASED LiPo battery packs are permitted. For safety reasons, battery packs must have electrical connectors fitted that can be disconnected quickly by a marshal if required during a race, i.e. battery packs must NOT be ‘hard wired’ to the speed-controller.

1. To allow competitive racing, a ‘hand-out’ lap-counting transponder will be provided, where the driver must provide suitable means of securely fastening within and under the car’s body-shell.
  2. SUSPENSION – replacement shock absorbers are allowed, as long as a direct replacement / fit onto the standard chassis. Alternative springs and shock oils are permitted.

1. GEARS – differing gear ratios / pinion gears are permitted (17 & 19 tooth pinions). All other gears/components within the gearbox must remain as standard, i.e. standard spur gear and bevel differential must be maintained (the use of a ball differential and/or UJ drive shafts is forbidden).

1. BALL-RACES – replacement ball-races / bearings / bushes are permitted.

1. WHEELS & TYRES – Any wheels & tyres combinations, but limited to those taken from standard kits (of 2010 HB, 2011 SR & Street Rover) ONLY.

1. WATER-PROOFING – Water-proofing of equipment is permitted, including fitment of the ‘Hunter Systems’ chassis cover.

DT02 Chassis Modified – rules as above with additions below where applicable.

This class is:-

1. Open to using any of the past or current Tamiya DT-02 based standard kit models.

1. Open to using any body-shell from any past or current Tamiya DT-02 based standard kit model ONLY.

1. BODYSHELL – as above.

1. RADIO GEAR – as above.

1. BATTERY PACK – as above.

1. Car must use the Tamiya DT-02 chassis and gearbox (but DT-02 geared diff or DT-02 ball diff are permitted).

1. Any tyre and any wheel from any manufacturer (1/10th scale car ‘sizes’ only, in keeping with original car).

1. Any (only commercially available) hop ups are permitted, ie Tamiya, 3racing, GPM, Yeah-Racing, Carson, etc. This maybe additional items such anti-roll bars, or simply replacement stronger/alloy components.

1. BRUSHED MOTORS - any commercially available BRUSHED ‘540 size’ motor with 19 turns or more (any 19 turn specification and any manufacturer allowed), combined with any commercially available electronic speed controller (from any manufacturer) to suit is allowed.
  1. BRUSH-LESS MOTORS - any commercially available BRUSH-LESS ‘540 size’ motor with 10.5 turns or more (any manufacturer allowed), combined with any commercially available electronic speed controller (from any manufacturer) to suit is allowed. HOWEVER – equipment that allows advance/timing via the ESC is specifically forbidden.

yes, blinky mode chap. B)

To be honest brushed is the way to go in the mod class.

The checkpoint 19 turn spec 'Money motor' is the superior motor of all the specs. I have managed to get my hands on one and they are much better than a 10.5 brushless.

The next best to the checkpoint is the Team Orion 'Vantage' (the one with the dilek endbell)

after that its all the others, the Reedy Fire ball, Team Orion element, Reedy challenger, BRM special, any of the 24 degree 19 turn motors are permitted. you an't going any faster than those :lol:

I tried a Losi 10.5 (the most powerful 10.5 there is) in my Gator and it was horrible to drive. Brushed is so much better in a car that was never designed for brushless .......... :lol:

I have a BRM and a Team Orion for sale if any body wants one ...................

Besides the chassis covers I will also have some packs of motor suppressors (for people who use 27 MHz and 40 MHz) and some hand made air filters to add some scale detail to Holiday Buggy's and Sand Rovers :D

161113005_zps6fd6f9d9.jpg

2905140185_zps9c88fbf5.jpg

• Like 1

Please does anyone have a spare H1 part for the Holiday Buggy ( the rear mounting bracket for the body shell)?

I am one short and they are hard to find in the UK.

I will be filming all day for Iconic RC and for the RC Racer Magazine race report.

If you would like a pit interview for the Official DT-02 Challenge Video, please let me know. I don't want to put anyone on the spot so tell me in advance.

Thanks. J

mines all ready packed and ready as well had to book a 9am ferry so going to be there by lunch time unless we go to Apex shopping then mite need someone to come drag us away :D

• Like 1

Give us a chance, we've been busy enjoying the Tamiya's! Many quick responses are of course already on IconicRC Facebook page. No doubt there'll be many showroom and forum entries here on TC over the next few days - many TC members were there!

• Like 1

great fun hope to get last video to you.. 10711087_10154635755765506_1815352785947 ooo and barbie badword 10288717_10154635746190506_7416562595553at end Buford T Justice mite buff out i think 10352949_10154635758940506_6396286808385

Thanks Lee and all for a great day and that mad lady night before in pub who scared all the long hair blokes :)

• Like 3

Just wanted to add my thanks to all those involved in organising yesterday's event - it felt like a very well run day and the lad and I thoroughly enjoyed every minute.

Special thanks to Lee too for all the help and advice in the run up to the event so we were sure our car would be ready for the day.

William is still absolutely thrilled with his trophy - he fell asleep holding on to it in bed last night and has taken it into school with him today to show off to his friends and teacher...however he probably won't mention his blatant corner cutting on the final "U" bend immediately before the main straight...:)

• Like 4

A big thank you to everyone who attended this years event. There was a lot of good racing and banter. It was good to see last years faces coming back for more DT02 madness.

Lots of new faces too :D

With the DT03 voted in for next year (having its own heat/class) means hopefully even more entrants next year. We had just over 50 drivers this year :D

A thank you to Simon (Smitchos) for sorting the sponsorship and prizes with Fusion Hobbies again this year and a thank you to John Weston for taking the pictures and I think everyone is chomping at the bit for what will be another excellent video this year.

Not too many breakages again this year, the DT02 chassis showing its toughness (the Juniors gave them a good thorough testing believe me :lol: )

• Like 3

Hello Guys & Girls,

THANK YOU for another great event organised by Lee (Simon & John).

I must remember to set my alarm earlier next year so I can at last enter my car in the concourse. :(:(

Oh yeah, I'll have to try and have a car that will run as well :unsure:

• Like 3

Hello Guys & Girls,

THANK YOU for another great event organised by Lee (Simon & John).

I must remember to set my alarm earlier next year so I can at last enter my car in the concourse. :(:(

Oh yeah, I'll have to try and have a car that will run as well :unsure:

Steve, unlucky mate, re the electrics. Don't let it put you off. It's bizarre though! :o

• Like 1

Fantastic! Thanks for the link to Facebook!

I particularly love this album: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=oa.929277217085715&type=1

Jx

The Stock class entries were outstanding this year with some brilliant ideas and execution.

I plan to upload all the action from the Stock heats tonight and will post on here when complete. (a lot of photos so will take a while)

Who's was the Martini Holiday Buggy? - that looked fantastic!

Tamiya should issue that bodyshell in white as standard too!

Jx