super gripper

DT02 challange event

Thanks for the complements.

Took a lot of effort to get the paint to stick to the Holiday buggy body, but it can be done.

There's a guide on the Tamiya USA site if anybody is interested.

Will just have to think of a new scheme for next year now.

Big, big, thank you to Lee Davies for organising this event.

I'm sure it must have taken a great deal of time and effort, and it was an absolutely epic day!

Roll on next year!

• Like 3

Who's was the Martini Holiday Buggy? - that looked fantastic!

Tamiya should issue that bodyshell in white as standard too!

Jx

In hard plastic too! Nice and easy to paint :)

• Like 1

All the photos I took on the day (there are a lot) are now available on dropbox.

Send me a direct message and I'll send you the link. Cheers.

Question for next event.. The stock class this year could run a tamiya sport tuned motor... For the next event would a maverick 22t be allowed?.. I have a few of these motors as the only cost £10 so that would make life cheaper for me lol.. I think the sport tuned is a 23t but of course better quality so would probably be better anyway, I'm just trying to make savings

Ta

K

that motor is definitely not allowed no.

Only the Tamiya motors listed in the rules are permitted in the stock class.

Allowing any other motors just makes it a minefield for scrutineering.

• Like 1

The 2014 DT-02 Challenge Race Report is in the latest edition of RC Racer Magazine which is due to hit the shelves around 1st January.

• Like 4

The 2014 DT-02 Challenge Race Report is in the latest edition of RC Racer Magazine which is due to hit the shelves around 1st January.

An excellent write-up and it was good to also read the separate article about the Iconic RC vintage racing class, nice one John!

• Like 5

hello everyone and welcome to the 2015 DT02 Challenge :D

Yes it is back for the Third Year running ..................

Now including the DT03 having it's own heat B)

A few rule changes this year to eliminate some alloy parts but all other rules staying the same for fair competition.

shrccc to host this years event again, Sunday 27th September

DSC_03691_zps075237ec.jpg

• Like 4

Well I've been plum last every year so far and i'm still coming, its great fun whether you get in the finals or not :D:D

If my electrical gremlins turn up this year I'm going to take up stamp collecting. :)

I'll see the regulars in September.

• Like 2

Hi Peeps, here's the 2015 rules. We've updated/'modernised' the DT-02 stock and mod classes rules, but no major changes, then there's the new DT-03 class rules too. Even if your an old timer at the event, please take the time to scan through the regs just to re-familiarise yourself. Best of luck, I'm really looking forward to doing this again!

RULES

TAMIYA DT-02/3 CHALLENGE 2015

These construction rules are here simply ensure fair competition and of course encourage enjoyment for ALL. We therefore ask you to respect them.

RULES APPLYING TO:- (STANDARD) 2010 Holiday Buggy & 2011 Sand Rover CLASS

1) Only 2010 Holiday Buggy (Blue or Red body) 2011 Sand Rover & Street Rover cars may be entered. All other DT-02 models/body-shells are excluded from this class, and therefore will be automatically entered into the ‘Modified’ class.

2) MOTORS – there is a choice of motors (sealed can) where strictly limited to using:-

i. Any Tamiya kit supplied ‘silver can’ 540 motor.

ii. The Tamiya ‘Sport Tuned’ 540 motor.

iii. The Tamiya ‘Torque’ Tuned 540 motor.

IN ALL CASES THE MOTOR MUST BE COMPLETELY AS STANDARD, IT MUST NOT HAVE BEEN OPENED NOR HAVE THE FACTORY TIMING TAMPERED WITH IN ANYWAY.

The use of heat sinks to cool the motor is permitted and/or 'cut-away' / 'drilling' of existing outer rear gearbox motor covering to allow better airflow around motor is also allowed.

3) Additional items / components cannot be added to the car (such as second motors or larger external bumpers etc.) unless clearly stated otherwise herewith.

4) All standard kit parts must be used, unless specific allowance is stated herein. The use/exchange of parts (including wheels/tyres etc etc), or use/exchange of stronger parts/hop-ups (alloys, carbon etc) is strictly forbidden, whether the parts are the same design or not.

5) Front shock tower braces are permitted (3Racing, Carson, Tamiya).

6) BODYSHELL - The body-shell must be securely fastened at all times. This can be decorated by the user, but please ensure that decoration is not offensive.

7) RADIO GEAR - Any commercially available radio control gear conforming to UK law can be used (either frequency of 27MHz, 40MHz or 2.4GHz).

Where 27Mhz and 40Mhz is intended for use, please be prepared by having a choice of frequencies available on the day, and inform the Race Director when booking in at race control as to the use.

8) SPEED CONTROLLERS - Any commercially available speed controller (suited to operating the MOTORS listed) can be used.

9) BATTERY PACK - Any commercially available but only 7.2v Sub C sized NiCd/NiMH, or equivalent 7.4v (2S) HARD CASED LiPo battery packs are permitted. For safety reasons, battery packs must have electrical connectors fitted that can be disconnected quickly by a marshal if required during a race, i.e. battery packs must NOT be ‘hard wired’ to the speed-controller.

10) To allow competitive racing, a computerised timing system will be used. Using your own personal lap-counting transponders is encouraged, but otherwise a set of ‘hand-out’ type will be available on the day. Those using hand-outs, please make provision for their suitable secure fastening within and under the car’s body-shell. Regarding queries as to transponders, i.e. sizes of hand-outs and PT compatibility/make queries, please refer to the Race Director for more information.

11) SUSPENSION – replacement shock absorbers are allowed, as long as a direct replacement / fit onto the standard chassis. Alternative springs and shock oils are permitted.

12) GEARS – differing gear ratios / pinion gears are permitted (17 & 19 tooth pinions). All other gears/components within the gearbox must remain as standard, i.e. standard spur gear and bevel differential must be maintained (the use of a ball differential and/or UJ drive shafts is forbidden).

13) BALL-RACES – replacement ball-races / bearings / bushes are permitted.

14) WHEELS & TYRES – Any wheels & tyres combinations, but limited to those taken from standard kits (of 2010 HB, 2011 SR & Street Rover) ONLY.

15) WATER-PROOFING – Water-proofing of equipment is permitted, including fitment of the ‘Hunter Systems’ chassis cover.

DT02 Chassis (Open/Modified) Class

This class must be in full compliance with: GENERAL RULES APPLYING TO 2010 Holiday Buggy & 2011 Sand Rover CLASS but with the following amendments (a-g) taking precedence as applicable.

a) Open to using any of the past or current Tamiya DT-02 based standard kit models including ‘truck/truggy’ versions which are permitted.

b ) Open to using any body-shell from any past or current Tamiya DT-02 based standard kit model ONLY.

c) Car must use the Tamiya DT-02 chassis and gearbox (but DT-02 geared diff or DT-02 ball diff are permitted).

d) Any tyre and/or any wheel from any manufacturer (1/10th ‘scale’ car sizes only, in keeping with original car).

e) Any (only commercially available) hop ups are permitted, ie Tamiya, 3racing, GPM, Yeah-Racing, Carson, etc. This maybe additional items such anti-roll bars, or simply replacement stronger/alloy components.

f) BRUSHED MOTORS - any commercially available BRUSHED ‘540 size’ motor with 19 turns or more (any 19 turn specification and any manufacturer allowed), combined with any commercially available electronic speed controller (from any manufacturer) to suit is allowed.

g) BRUSH-LESS MOTORS - any commercially available BRUSH-LESS ‘540 size’ motor with 10.5 turns or more (any manufacturer allowed), combined with any commercially available electronic speed controller (from any manufacturer) to suit is allowed. HOWEVER – equipment that allows advance/timing via the ESC is specifically forbidden.

RULES APPLYING TO DT-03 CLASS

1) Only cars that are based upon the Tamiya DT-03 chassis maybe used, any past or current standard kit model including ‘truck/truggy’ versions which are permitted.

2) MOTORS: a choice of ‘brushed’ or ‘brushless’ motors maybe fitted, within the limitations as follows:

i) BRUSHED MOTORS - any commercially available BRUSHED ‘540 size’ motor with 19 turns or more (any 19 turn specification and any manufacturer allowed), combined with any commercially available electronic speed controller (from any manufacturer) to suit is allowed.

ii) BRUSH-LESS MOTORS - any commercially available BRUSH-LESS ‘540 size’ motor with 10.5 turns or more (any manufacturer allowed), combined with any commercially available electronic speed controller (from any manufacturer) to suit is allowed. HOWEVER – equipment that allows advance/timing via the ESC is specifically forbidden.

The use of heat sinks to cool the motor is permitted and/or 'cut-away' / 'drilling' of existing outer rear gearbox motor covering to allow better airflow around motor is also allowed.

3) Additional items / components cannot be added to the car (such as second motors or larger external bumpers etc.) unless clearly stated otherwise herewith.

4) Car must use the kit standard Tamiya DT-03 chassis plate and gearbox, however the remaining parts can be exchanged with stronger parts/hop-ups (still keeping same chassis design/layout). Please note the following parts listed below (a-c) are NOT PERMITTED to be changed to an alloy material (i.e. other materials can be used):-

a. Shock towers

b. Wishbones

c. Bumpers

5) BODYSHELL - The body-shell must be securely fastened at all times. This can be decorated by the user, but please ensure that decoration is not offensive. Open to using any body-shell from any past or current Tamiya DT-03 based standard kit models ONLY.

6) RADIO GEAR - Any commercially available radio control gear conforming to UK law can be used (either frequency of 27MHz, 40MHz or 2.4GHz).

Where 27Mhz and 40Mhz is intended for use, please be prepared by having a choice of frequencies available on the day, and inform the Race Director when booking in at race control as to the use.

7) SPEED CONTROLLERS - Any commercially available speed controller (suited to operating the MOTORS listed) can be used.

8) BATTERY PACK - Any commercially available but only 7.2v Sub C sized NiCd/NiMH, or equivalent 7.4v (2S) HARD CASED LiPo battery packs are permitted. For safety reasons, battery packs must have electrical connectors fitted that can be disconnected quickly by a marshal if required during a race, i.e. battery packs must NOT be ‘hard wired’ to the speed-controller.

9) To allow competitive racing, a computerised timing system will be used. Using your own personal lap-counting transponders is encouraged, but otherwise a set of ‘hand-out’ type will be available on the day. Those using hand-outs, please make provision for their suitable secure fastening within and under the car’s body-shell. Regarding queries as to transponders, i.e. sizes of hand-outs and PT compatibility/make queries, please refer to the Race Director for more information.

10) SUSPENSION – replacement shock absorbers are allowed, as long as a direct replacement / fit onto the standard chassis. Alternative springs and shock oils are permitted.

11) GEARBOX/GEARS – Car must use the Tamiya DT-03 chassis and gearbox. Differing gear ratios / pinion gears are permitted (17 & 19 tooth pinions). The use of commercially available replacement ball differentials and/or UJ drive shafts are also allowed, otherwise, all other gears/components within the gearbox must remain as standard.

12) BALL-RACES – replacement ball-races / bearings / bushes are permitted.

13) WATER-PROOFING – Water-proofing of equipment is permitted.

14) Any tyre and/or any wheel from any manufacturer (1/10th ‘scale’ car sizes only, in keeping with original car).

15) Other than specific rules herein, any (only commercially available) hop ups are permitted, ie Tamiya, 3racing, GPM, Yeah-Racing, Carson, etc.

• Like 1

We will be there again this year; well it would be rude not to. Looking forward to it!

The old campaigner has had something of a makeover since last year...

6AFA146D-496C-43D5-94FF-5DB46D2980AD_zps

• Like 2

Supergripper/smitchos

I've raced in both of the DT-02 challenges to date and really enjoyed both days so I'm definitely going to be back this year. Hoping to run more than one class this year too.

Just a quick question regarding brushless speed controllers in the modified class. I'm going to be running brushless for convenience but all of my ESC's enable me to advance the motor timing vie the ESC. I can obviously set these ESC's to 'Blinky' mode. Will this still be deemed illegal?

Thanks.

hello chap,

yes as long as your esc is set to 'blinky' mode this will be legal.

great to hear you have enjoyed the events so far, with the DT03's also running in their own class this year it should be a really good day again :D

My local club where we race, don't know if I can afford 3 DT-02's for us for 1 race meet though.

I have a Team Orion 19 turn spec motor for sale if anyone is wanting one for this years challenge ......

23.03.15%20001_zpsavuajzmc.jpg

£10 plus £3.80 first class recorded delivery.