jujutsuboy

Sand Scorcher Axles Bent. Fixable?

Hey all. In my ongoing request to restore an old Scorcher into a runner, on doing a trial mount up of some Brat Wheels/Tyres I noticed one of the axles was rubbing the tyre. On closer inspection it revealed this:

agyu.jpg

As you can see, the axle on the left is bent inwards enough to cause the rubbing (the flash line show it quite clearly).

The question is, can this be saved? OR will trying to 'adjust' the axle arm just cause it to become brittle?

cheers

sorry for the double post but it won't let me edit, anyway try using a shim/spacer i did the same to mine and you can even see the damage on the outside. I have good results with mine

I frankly don't know how they can be bent, but have a look at my old Brat set up. I have no idea how the previous owner of the truck did this but at least by the pictures you can tell it is something that can be done.

brat_zpsbf405a32.jpg?t=1374610543

The steering knuckles are only pot metal, so it's not unusual to see that these parts can be bent in a crash. You could bend them back. There is a chance they may become brittle or crack, but the bend doesn't look that bad, so it should be safe to tap it a couple of times gently with a 'persuader' (hammer). You could try heating the part first with a hot air gun or boiling water to make it a bit more malleable.

- James

The 'gentle' repeated tap of a light hammer (ahem :rolleyes: ) has resolved the issue. Didn't go crazy, but enough for job done! Thanks for your responses

I frankly don't know how they can be bent, but have a look at my old Brat set up. I have no idea how the previous owner of the truck did this but at least by the pictures you can tell it is something that can be done.

because you are not a 15 year old :-D