XV Pilot

Keeping it real: A TL01B clone's journey to genuineness

A few weeks ago I got it into my head that my fleet was missing a TL-01B, so I set about finding one to restore. A TC member kindly responded to my Wanted ad, and sold me a "TL-01B" roller that upon arrival turned out to be a clone with some genuine parts fitted.

Maybe I'm being naive, but I'd like to think the seller wasn't trying to pull a fast one - the price was fair, and it was a pretty accurate clone, to the point that I couldn't tell anything was amiss from the photos he sent me beforehand, and it was only when comparing it side-by-side with the genuine article that I noticed the differences. Nonetheless, I wanted a TL-01B, not a "TL01-B", so I set about disassembly to see what would need replacing. As it turned out, quite a lot!

The parts that I kept:

TL-01B%20005_zps4a2fcqnm.jpg

The parts that I binned:

TL-01B%20026_zpsqeir6o02.jpg

Some of the plastics were definitely clone, some appeared to be genuine Tamiya that had been modified to work with the clone parts, and some were of indeterminate origin, so I decided that a full replacement set was in order. Time Tunnel Models had all the bits I required listed on their site, so I placed an order with them for a set of A parts, a set of B parts and two sets of C parts. As the TL-01B uses different front hubs to the touring TL-01, I also tagged a set of those, but unfortunately they were on backorder and not expected for at least two weeks, so I ordered a set from the Vintage Tamiya Store as well since they had local stock.

Today my Time Tunnel Models order arrived:

TL-01B%20008_zpsgglvehlz.jpg

I was slightly concerned that the C parts bag didn't have a genuine Tamiya paper tag stapled to the top, but upon close inspection the sprues appear genuine, and I would like to think Time Tunnel Models wouldn't sell fakes, so I started rebuilding the model using the new parts.

Following the manual (which I downloaded from TamiyaUSA), I made an unexciting start by attaching the steering tie rods to the servo saver using genuine Tamiya step screws from my bits box:

TL-01B%20009_zpsow0bkiw4.jpg

Then followed the attachment of the battery "wings" and motor protector:

TL-01B%20013_zps6vvlqy17.jpg

Then on with the propshaft:

TL-01B%20014_zpsksoxs0yr.jpg

I am not certain if the propshaft is genuine or fake - if it is a fake, it is a very good one, as it has the same measurements, weight and tooling marks as the one in my wife's genuine TL-01. In the end I gave it the benefit of the doubt and installed it. The propshaft sits in 4 bearings. The ones exposed to the elements have rubber seals, and the internal ones are metal-shielded.

Then it was time to turn my attention to the gearboxes. When disassembling the roller, I was relieved to find that all the gears apart from the front diff were genuine. Luckily I had a spare genuine TL01 diff in my bits box, so this was not a build-killer. Can you spot the odd one out?

TL-01B%20015_zpsewsgray0.jpg

With a genuine Tamiya geartrain installed, running on metal-shielded bearings for the internal gears and rubber-sealed ones for the diffs, it was time to close up the chassis:

TL-01B%20016_zpseqzdd38i.jpg

I am leaving radio gear installation until later, as I want to buy the car a new RX and servo, and I have already used up the month's hobby budget on the roller and plastics.

Next up was motor installation. You can't get much more genuine Tamiya than a box-stock Johnson!

TL-01B%20018_zpsrlmtfm0v.jpg

This might get swapped out when funds allow, but I am quite tempted to keep it in there, as I am building this buggy to be a geocaching companion, and the Johnson combines reliability with economy - just what I need when taking the vehicle on a 5-mile cache series.

With the basic chassis complete, it was time to add some suspension arms and hubs:

TL-01B%20022_zpsecyugjoh.jpg

The hinge pins fall into the same category as the propshaft - I am not certain if they are genuine, but they are identical to the genuine articles in every way that I can quantify, so I am giving them the benefit of the doubt. The dogbones I know are clone parts, but in this instance I am putting practicality ahead of purity, as they are solid-looking machined steel items that look and feel a lot more substantial than the metal-and-plastic ones supplied by Tamiya for the TL-01B.

Rubber-sealed bearings occupy the hubs:

TL-01B%20021_zps4ceuey3s.jpg

And that pretty much brings us to where we are now:

TL-01B%20024_zps1a3ufljw.jpg

The front suspension is also in place, with the lower arms secured with a Tamiya U-brace from my bits box since the roller came with touring-style lower hinge pins. No front hubs yet - they should be here in the next day or two. The fiberglass plate that would normally go at the rear of the chassis has been replaced with a small bumper from an M03, as minor nose-to-tail collisions are common when travelling in convoy while out geocaching.

Electrics, shocks and shell will follow in a few weeks when payday rolls around again. I'm thinking a Baja King shell would suit it. Since this isn't going to be a shelfer, and it isn't 100% pure Tamiya, I won't go for a box-art colour scheme. At the moment I am leaning towards a black-and-chrome scheme such as the one I used on one of my DT02s:

Buggy%20009_zpsjdgxkir7.jpg

Thread to be updated as parts arrive! :)

It is very difficult to tell clones from genuines eBay is extremely difficult with tl01 rollers. I have a clone saloon and its fine to be honest plastics are abit harder and more brittle and needs some adjustments to run freely but it's alright. I converted mine to a bruder cab and its good fun.

h3089pazna.jpg

How about a Baja Champ Shell? Without the rear wing, painted in the right colours and using old school 4WD wheels, you can make your car to be a Hot Shot II lookalike. Feel free to browse Mad-Bees Showroom for some more pictures.

Hmm. I built a Baja Champ for my brother-in-law, and was somewhat underwhelmed by the styling. Mad-Bee has done a good job though. Worth considering...

Are you going to do so something about the front end bottom chassis weak point of the TL-01B? Or will it be just fine as it is with the silvercan motor?

Everytime I look at Mad-Bees Baja Champ, I feel the urge the get one in similar style for myself. The only thing holding me back is the front lower arms mount issue. Are there any solutions to fix this?

I fitted a Mad-Bull hard body to my old TL01B and it looked pretty good. I don't believe I have a single photo of it though :(

Beetle body shell looks pretty good IMO and still retains that Baja connection. Here's a Kamtec Scorcher shell on my Tamiya TL01B.

968e8293.jpg

Are you going to do so something about the front end bottom chassis weak point of the TL-01B? Or will it be just fine as it is with the silvercan motor?

Everytime I look at Mad-Bees Baja Champ, I feel the urge the get one in similar style for myself. The only thing holding me back is the front lower arms mount issue. Are there any solutions to fix this?

While I have often had to replace chassis halves due to broken lower arm mounts on my father's TL01 touring car, I haven't ever had to do it on the TL-01Bs belonging to my father, brother-in-law and nephew. I am surprised that it is an issue, as the TL-01B uses a U-shaped brace to attach the front arms, just like the DF-01, and this seems to take a lot of the stresses when colliding with things. I guess something is gonna give in a big shunt, and if the angle is unlucky, that'll be the chassis, but while I have seen broken front arms on our TL-01Bs, we haven't broken a chassis yet. (Well, not as a result of stresses to the front arms - the shock mounts are a different story!)

I fitted a Mad-Bull hard body to my old TL01B and it looked pretty good. I don't believe I have a single photo of it though :(

Pity you don't have any photos - I would have liked to have seen how you did it. I tried my Mad Bull body on it, and it doesn't seem to fit particularly well.

Beetle body shell looks pretty good IMO and still retains that Baja connection. Here's a Kamtec Scorcher shell on my Tamiya TL01B.

968e8293.jpg

Now that looks very good! I am pretty sure I want this chassis to be a buggy, but I might just have to get another to turn into a Baja Bug. I do like Baja Bugs - used to have a fullsize one that served me very well indeed.

Tl01 b has a different bumper to the touring cars that helps to protect that weak point abit more. I put the tl01 b bumper on my touring car and haven't broken it again yet lol

Tl01 b has a different bumper to the touring cars that helps to protect that weak point abit more. I put the tl01 b bumper on my touring car and haven't broken it again yet lol

Very useful things, TL-01B bumpers! I put one on my father's TL-01 touring car for the same reason, and I am also running one on my M03 rally car. Extra protection combined with the ability to ride up and over obstacles rather than ploughing straight into them.

+1 on the TL01B bumper. That's it fitted on my Beetle. It may not look the best but as others have said it does a good job of protecting the front end.

Yes. Why? See something there that might be of use to you? If so, let me know and I'll rescue it from the bin for you. Bins only get emptied on Tuesdays.

I could use pretty much all of the parts for my four-motor experiment...

PM me your address and they're yours for the cost of postage. :)

• Like 2

Oh well, I just won a TL-01B lot on evilbay, consisting of a complete Baja Champ and a Baja King in bits and pieces, for around 42 €. :) I've already got a 2500kV brushless motor system ready. If the Baja Champ bodyshell turns out to be pants, then I'll get a cheap new one including decals at Tamico, along with Super Hotshot gold wheels and Hot Shot tires. There are also things in my mind like a flag attached to the antenna post - I've got such a thing on my Mad Bull and it's really wacky looking, bouncing like mad when driving and jumping over small obstacles.

XV pilot, please keep us updated about your progress.

There is a little bit of progress to report:

TL-01B%20028_zpshu4fobru.jpg

The front hubs arrived yesterday, and have been installed. The Tamiya Star Dish wheels I was hoping to use have somehow gone out of round, so at the moment the chassis is wearing a cheap set of Ansmann wheels until I can get something better, or until I figure out a way of restoring the Star Dishes. I'm thinking boiling them, then finding a jar or can or something of the right diameter to fit them over in order to keep them round until they cool.

Made a bit more progress this evening:

The Star Dish wheels responded well to my attempts to get them properly rounded. I heated them up in boiling water, then fitted them firmly over a small tin of peaches while they cooled. I wrapped a few layers of duct tape around the tin to make it a tight fit in the wheels. Once the wheels cooled, I removed them, and they held their shape nicely.

I have sprayed them with Tamiya TS17 Gloss Aluminium spraypaint. I find this works well on wheels, as it maintains a measure of flexibility when dried, so it doesn't crack easily or flake off in use.

The wheels have been fitted to the chassis, as have the aluminium oil shocks, steering servo and receiver which arrived yesterday, and the new TEU104 ESC I had in my bits box left over from a previous build.

The car is now capable of controlled movement under its own power, but it doesn't look much like a buggy yet. A bodyshell and wing will change that, and should be coming in about a week.

Photo to follow when the sun is shining!

Here is a pic of it in the sunshine, wearing its nice round Star Dishes:

TL-01B%20031_zpsb5ztnfea.jpg

Looks tidy, but then a lot of it is new :(

Wheels look fab ;)

What length shocks are on there? Looks good but clearance isn't great, could do with being a fraction longer?

I really need to dig my TL01B out. Pretty sure it has a Dirt Tuned can in it too.

Looks tidy, but then a lot of it is new :(

Wheels look fab ;)

Thanks. New it is - new and genuine. Beats old, broken and fake! :)

What length shocks are on there? Looks good but clearance isn't great, could do with being a fraction longer?

I really need to dig my TL01B out. Pretty sure it has a Dirt Tuned can in it too.

The shocks are the same length as stock, but the springs are quite soft so it is sagging a bit. I think I might use firmer ones for a slightly higher stance.

...the springs are quite soft so it isnsagging a bit. I think I might use firmer ones for a slightly higher stance.

perhaps just a little extra preload is required - your wishbones are parallel with the ground currently which normall would be good but there's so little ground clearance, a little extra height would be not bad thing.

Yep, a bit more preload seems to have done the trick. The lower arms are now canted down ever so slightly, and the chassis ground clearance has risen by a few mm, but the chassis can still bottom out with the suspension compressed - important to preserve the health of the shock towers, which are a known weak point on this chassis.