XV Pilot

Keeping it real: A TL01B clone's journey to genuineness

Thanks for showing your progress. I like the looks of the painted wheels.

Any idea how to seal the TL-01B gearboxes? I've heard they are prone to dirt getting inside easily when running offroad. I wonder if this is true?

I thought about either using the grease-seal method for the edges, or using hot glue. Either way, it must be removable.

Mine isn't too bad I put a slim layer of epoxy on the join it works and is brittle enough to break off leaving it clean when you need to get inside. Use cheap pound land epoxy though not good quality stuff that may be different

I use the grease-seal method on the ones I build - haven't had any issues yet.

Thank you very much! This is good to know. All your answers to my enquiries gave me confidence to continue with my own TL-01B project. Today I've picked up the ordered bodyset and other parts for the Baja Champ, along with DF-02 buggy tire foam inserts. They should work well with the Hotshot wheels, however the front inserts will need some cutting (easy job) to make them narrower.

• Like 1

Sounds good! I'm sure I am not the only one who would like to see/read more about your project. Are you going to do a build thread?

Me? If there's interest, I think about opening a separate thread. I'm still waiting for the Baja Champ main parcel to arrive, but I've got hopefully all the parts ready for a rebuild.

The parcel has finally turned up yesterday. Woohoo, I think there will be enough interesting stuff to justify a separate thread. I'll make sure to keep you guys updated along with photos and stories.

Paint and bodyshell arrived in the post today, so I now have all that I need to finish this project. The next couple of days should see me cutting and painting the shell, fitting the wing, and uploading some pics of the finished product!

Well that was easier than anticipated! The shell is trimmed and painted. If nothing breaks or falls off when I take it for a test run, I am tempted to call it done!

Here are some pics:

TL-01B%20044_zps3f7m7mqu.jpg

TL-01B%20040_zpsp5itc5jq.jpg

As you can see, I have replaced the silver Star Dish wheels with some black FTX ones, wearing a set of Fastrax Turf Ripper tyres. The 2.2 wheels and tyres give the vehicle a bit of much-needed extra ground clearance, so I think I will use them for running and keep the Star Dishes for display.

I know it is a pretty simple paint scheme, but there are a few little details I am quite pleased with. Such as how the green wheel nuts match the green paint. And how the silver strip neatly separates the matt black exhaust tips from the glossy green body colour.

My wife and I took the buggy (who we have named Spike) for a proper test run in the park today and took some pics:

DSC01285_zpsrt75goe9.jpg

DSC01290_zpsvvo21pge.jpg

The test run went well, with no issues or breakages. The buggy is by no means the fastest in my stable, but it runs for ages on a single pack with the stock Johnson motor, with no overheating issues, making it an ideal companion for long walks.

Ah. Looks like another build thread on a vehicle that has made its way into my fleet.

While I see the motivation for the stock motor in the original build, I think I want it to go a little faster.

I have a Torque Tuned in a box somewhere that should fit the bill. Not a big performance increase I know, but hopefully enough to offset the slight loss of acceleration brought about by the slightly bigger-than-stock wheels and tyres.