Sayer

"Mountainbuster" project

Here's where we started:

mountainbuster1.jpg

Then I picked this up on ebay

mountainbuster2.jpg

The highlighted area below, (I came to discover) is actually a painted over Bruiser decal. Why the previous owner decided to paint over decals in the color of dull plastic is a question for the ages

mountainbuster3.jpg

A quick test fit with the cab swapped out for a rollbar

mountainbuster4.jpg

Three days of oven cleaner in the bathtub, scraping of the painted over decals and scrubbing with a barbecue brush (and sandpaper) got me to the point where I could start laying down primer and the color of choice. I went with the Mountaineer's mica red as per the manual

mountainbuster5.jpg

Another test fit, just to see what it looked like. Also, the Mountie decals came in.

mountainbuster6.jpg

I picked up a replacement grill and light assembly since the previous owner had gotten that same dull plastic beige all over them (and had completely covered a headlight) The bumper however was salvageable with a quick blast of PS black.

mountainbuster7.jpg

Here's what the new grill and old reconditioned bumper look like installed.(sorry about the poor quality phone pics)

mountainbuster8.jpg

And here's where we're at now with some new Aluminum wheels installed. Hopefully I'll get around to putting the decals on this weekend, but we'll see.

mountainbuster9.jpg

• Like 4

Back in the mid 80's there was a Toyota bodied monster truck called Casper. Your custom truck reminded me a lot of that one. Some pictures:

136.jpg

60.jpg

Funny you should find one of those, since I was scouring google for a RL truck to copy before I decided to just go with a Tamiya mashup

as much as I hate this guy, he has some good pictures of the datsun version http://monsterphoto.iwarp.com/altitu.htm

Well I do have 3 Tyco Bandit bodies and some TLT wheels I have no idea what to do with. If only I were more talented with fabrication lol

Also why do you hate that guy?

That body looks right at home up there. With Tamiya's penchant for recycling and remixing, I wonder why they never did this themselves?

Yeah I don't know, especially since this body is a direct bolt on for the Juggernaut as well

Well I do have 3 Tyco Bandit bodies and some TLT wheels I have no idea what to do with. If only I were more talented with fabrication lol

Also why do you hate that guy?

he claims those pictures as his property when he scanned from magazines and trolled them from elsewhere on the net. Shady deal if you ask me.

he claims those pictures as his property when he scanned from magazines and trolled them from elsewhere on the net. Shady deal if you ask me.

While I can say I feel the same about D.T., you still have to credit him on building up a site with sound and comprehensive information which is free for anybody to look at. But then again, his photo methods might not be the nicest possible, you know.

Just saw this and it looks spectacular. The mountaineer body looks great on there...

The decals will make it pop. Are you doing an interior, or just tinted windows?

Cheers,

Skottoman

I'm waffling back and forth on the interior as I'm feeling a bit lazy lol

More updates: Started getting the decals on

mountainbuster10.jpg

mountainbuster11.jpg

mountainbuster12.jpg

And I picked this up to replace the MSC

mountainbuster13.jpg

This is a very cool-looking project - seeing where this is going, I am confident the end result will still stun!

I'm waffling back and forth on the interior as I'm feeling a bit lazy lol

With all that room on there you simply must drop an interior and Tamiya driver in there. It would be the perfect topper - sweet truck !

Some minor updates to the chassis this time.

The black pieces are some 3mm ABS sheets I had left over from another project

mountainbuster_chassis1.jpg

Gutted the chassis partially, getting rid of the MSC

mountainbuster_chassis2.jpg

Here are the removed bits:

mountainbuster_chassis3.jpg

And the freshly installed ESC. I gave up with wrestling with the the wiring and upper deck, and just opted for mounting the ESC right on the servo. The receiver is still the vintage Futaba on that I got with the truck (still works fine, so why not?)

mountainbuster_chassis4.jpg

For the body mounting plates, I managed to dremel some ABS strips to go over the stock body mounts. (not the straightest, but they're not for looks so it doesn't matter)

mountainbuster_chassis5.jpg

And here they are mounted with velcro stuck on. I still have to find some body clips in my spares to complete the installation.

mountainbuster_chassis6.jpg

Would be nice to have a look at some video of this truck sometime ;)

I did actually end up finishing this truck. I did add an interior, but no driver, no running vid yet but I'll post pics later.

• Like 1