Sign in to follow this  
Jack_Truck

Toyota Hilux / Monster Racer (58086) New build

Greetings all,

It has been I while since I last posted on this forum, alas life, health and work have been keeping me too busy. I am currently trying sell most of my Tamiya and RC collection and part of that process involves selling my Toyota Hilux. The only problem is it was partially built, so I had the option to sell it as it was or to finish the build. Considering I was not able to guarantee every nut and bolt was present I decided to complete the build and document it here as it may be of interest to others.

I am starting from page 8, section 30:

Gear box casing

nxw4.jpg

Next was the differential which meant opening the blister pack, no going back now.

mqkf.jpg

ka2e.jpg

blcw.jpg

Took a bit of time but got there in the end,

b9cw.jpg

fbgh.jpg

Next step was to place everything in the gearbox casing

w3w1.jpg

Once all together the next step was to attach the gear box to the rear sub-frame and then attach that to the chassis,

mtiw.jpg

8olo.jpg

o2p8.jpg

Next up was to attach the drive shafts; at this juncture I decided to deviate from the standard specification and add proper bearings, it just wouldn’t feel right otherwise.

ors6.jpg

Everything went together nicely,

7x35.jpg

6vyd.jpg

Next was the suspension,

yry6.jpg

1cb8.jpg

Suspension is now attached and the remainder will be tackled tomorow

v133.jpg

Thanks for looking!

• Like 1

This has always been a sexy model by Tamiya in my eyes. Great to see a build - I'm envious !

Thanks for the positive comment.

I am quite impressed with the design of the gearbox compared to the MB which I am more accustomed to. I also like the design of the wheel and tyres, quite different than other models.

Below is the remainder of this build, I decided not to complete the body as I wanted to leave this to the new owner.

I had a brand new HiTec radio set and decided I would install it into the Hilux:

d4wb.jpg

pv4r.jpg

Servo horns attached (Note: The kit comes with horns for Sanwa and Futaba and the Futaba ones matched the Hitec servos).

4876.jpg

Next up I assembled the radio tray and fitted the speed controller servo

2py0.jpg

Blast from the past, I started work on the one part which really shows the age of the car the MSC.

mxvm.jpg

Then fitted the MSC to the tray,

6o7.JPG

Next step was to attach the steering servo to the car,

o5wo.jpg

The final step was to install the radio tray into the car and power up. I tested everything and it's all working 100%

4bmw.jpg

o0as.jpg

I will leave the body for the new owner to complete, and if anyone wishes to be that new owner look out for this truck in the for sale section.

33wp.jpg

Thanks for looking Jack_truck

Nice build! :) As far as I know, Hitec uses a different servo spline count than Futaba/Tamiya and Sanwa/Acoms. So you might want to double check if the adaptor fits perfectly, without slipping under torque.

WAOOOOO........never seen a thread ( vintage building ) for this before...:)

luv it mate .....

so is this going to be Box Art?

cheers

Nice build! :) As far as I know, Hitec uses a different servo spline count than Futaba/Tamiya and Sanwa/Acoms. So you might want to double check if the adaptor fits perfectly, without slipping under torque.

Thank you for the compliment.

The adaptor fitted perfectly, not too tight but nice and snug like a bug in a rug. :)

WAOOOOO........never seen a thread ( vintage building ) for this before... :)

luv it mate .....

so is this going to be Box Art?

cheers

I am selling it so it will be the choice of the buyer, but if I kept the car it would be box art.