JWeston

Tamiya Fluorescent PS Sprays Flake off

Hi all.

Tamiya Fluorescent Polycarbonate Spray Paint Flakes off.

It's happened to me, it's happened to pals and it's mentioned on other RC forums.

Has anyone experienced this and then discovered how to prevent the flaking?

Just to emphasize that I know about the proper preparation of the body before spraying etc. This is just with regard to the Tamiya PS Fluorescent colours, which blatantly fall off, and I'm looking for tips from members that have experienced this and remedied it.

Thanks in advance. J

i can say never over the years have i found away to stop that paint flaking off tried most things

• Like 1

And it's not only Tamiya, Pactra does it too. There is something about fluros that don't work in the lexan blend.

• Like 2

Cheers Chaps. I'm surprised Tamiya still flog the stuff.

I really fancied trying fluorescent pink but won't risk it.

J

only thing i haven't tried is a very light abrasive on the shell to get a good key mite work but then would try it on a cheap shell like a Mardave or Kamtec one 1st

I did once. I had fluro scratches and a clear bits after.

Florescents should be left in the early 90's in my opinion :P

Yep happened to me as well, I did a fluorescent pink and green poly body and it started flaking off at the edges after a few months. This has never happened to me with any other color.

Sorry to resurrect an old thread.

I'm wanting to paint a shell fluorescent red - Tamiya colour PS20. Is this fluorescent adhesion problem still prevalent? I don't really want it to all fall off :(

If it's still a problem, does anyone know of another brand of polycarbonate spray which is more durable but also a similar hue?

I race the yellow & that flakes off . I was thinking it was me & where i had crashed . As this is only where it comes off .

I do a white backing & have been for some time . But it does come flaking off :(

even Tamiya cant get it right. I have 2 Mazda 787b 's. 1 is factory finished by Tamiya and its flaking badly and its only a few years old, brand new and never ran. Yet the one I painted for the shelf a few years back is fine (so far).

james

I have had good results with Parma Faskolor flourescents. Airbrushed WITHOUT THINNER (this is imperative) at high pressure and backed with white.

I had the same problem with Tamiya florescent paints after a few tries, and different colors. I switched to Pactra and had zero problems. I am currently using Duratraxx florescent paints and have had zero problems with that as well. I think your only option for rattle can PS paints is Tamiya, Duratraxx, or Spazzstix. I think Spazzstix is more popular for airbrushing, and Duratraxx as I understand it has Pactra's line now that Pactra is gone.

My shells don't take quite the beatings they used to, but Duratraxx gets two thumbs up from me (all of my shells are painted florescent too).

Same here, I have switched to the Fastrax Finish Florescent paint and they are perfect.

Note use very very light coats as its very thin paint.

This is my three month GTB and not a bit of paint has flaked and its been bashed around a lot!

PS: The tryes are not slicks! It wears the tread off that fast!

IMG_7525_zpsjhgbwhib.jpg