Wandy

Parts for Lancia Rally 037 TA03RS?

For a long while the 58278 Lancia 037 Rally has been on my wishlist but the prices for the kit are very high now when they come up on the bay. So to my delight I noticed that, almost from nowhere, the bodyset has been re-released and have just nabbed one from Stella.

However I am still without a chassis and a few other body parts to complete the deal, ie cockpit set & wheels so I need some help finding them.

I notice that a cockpit set is set to be released as a spare part, #54491, and on inspection this looks to be the exact one that was used in the Lancia Delta Finished Body kit, of which I have two...but was this the same cockpit that was supplied with the 58278 full kit?

Were the wheels ever made as a spare part? And if so, what was the part number?

Finally, the chassis. It is a TA-03RS, whatever that means. So can I buy any old TA-03 off ebay and place this bodyset on it, or does the RS denote something unique, meaning that I need to buy extra parts?

Educate me, people. :)

Precisely: the Lancia 037 bodyshell is suited to a 237 mm wheelbase, meaning not just any old TA-03 will do, unfortunately.

I do not know if wheels were made a spare part, but on the main Internet trading site (and on Tamiyaclub, too!) I see a full set of spare wheels for the Lancia 037 Rally re-release. Tires may be more difficult to sort out, though I cannot really write about that since I really have no clue whether the 'semi-slick' tire design appeared in other kits.

The cockpit set is most likely identical - I remember it since I also recall somebody saying it was inaccurate. Like all the other cockpit sets issued with rally cars, it featured a spare wheel behind the driver when the real 037 was mid-engined... Still, an improvement over the original car with its driver bust attached to the inside of the body.

I also see on the Internet that Tamiya released a 'TA-03RS chassis conversion' set which may allow you to take any old TA-03 and convert it to the wheelbase required for the 037 body.

Either way, I really look forward to seeing your project start up! Best of luck!

Edit: I did not realize that the TA-03RS had a bathtub chassis; the conversion set described simply appears to be a means of turning the TA-03RS into a double-deck chassis instead of the plastic tub. Still, it could be possible to use that with TA-03 parts to make the appropriate chassis unless the basic belt configurations are different.

• Like 1

Precisely: the Lancia 037 bodyshell is suited to a 237 mm wheelbase, meaning not just any old TA-03 will do, unfortunately.

I do not know if wheels were made a spare part, but on the main Internet trading site (and on Tamiyaclub, too!) I see a full set of spare wheels for the Lancia 037 Rally re-release.

The cockpit set is most likely identical - I remember it since I also recall somebody saying it was inaccurate. Like all the other cockpit sets issued with rally cars, it featured a spare wheel behind the driver when the real 037 was mid-engined... Still, an improvement over the original car with its driver bust attached to the inside of the body.

I also see on the Internet that Tamiya released a 'TA-03RS chassis conversion' set which may allow you to take any old TA-03 and convert it to the wheelbase required for the 037 body.

Either way, I really look forward to seeing your project start up! Best of luck!

Edit: I did not realize that the TA-03RS had a bathtub chassis; the conversion set described simply appears to be a means of turning the TA-03RS into a double-deck chassis instead of the plastic tub. Still, it could be possible to use that with TA-03 parts to make the appropriate chassis unless the basic belt configurations are different.

Yeah I was wondering about that conversion set. Perhaps it would be possible to fit the standard TA03 parts to the chassis upgrade but I imagine that a different (shorter) belt would need to be sourced.

The swb chassis tubs, belts and double deck conversions were plentiful on ebay last time I looked...

I could be wrong but I think the R means the motor is at the Rear and the S means the Short wheelbase chassis ?

You are not wrong. an A+ on paper.

The wheels are part number 0444140 and do come up fairly regularly on eBay, are available through vintage-tamiyaparts.com in the UK, and a web search shows plentiful availability from various online retailers in Germany (Modelbau Seidel, Tamico.de and others). The tyres are standard 50810 Racing Semi-slick ones, freely available. The original cockpit is part 1825096 and driver 'Z' parts are 9225045, all of which can can be bought on eBay for a high price (about £30) so the re-release 54491 parts which look identical (and gives you an extra set of cockpit decals for instruments etc) looks ideal!

Just what I wanted to hear. Cheers. :)

Did the 58278 kit TA03RS have anything special about it, ie hopups? Or was it just a standard TA03 with a short tub and the motor at the rear?

Just a heads up . The Scaler Store have the cockpit/ drivers in stock for 10 euros . hope that's of some help .

The 53297 belt is the hopup one, not the standard kit issue one.

The 53297 belt is the hopup one, not the standard kit issue one.

What's the standard one?

Tamiya part 53278 - scrub this it's wrong

Yeah, 53278 is the standard length belt.

It's weird how the short chassis tub is freely available yet the belt is scarce.

I'm working on a project (one of too many!) with a Brat body and a TA03RS tub chassis. It's a fraction too short, but I'm going to make it RWD, so there'll be no need for a belt anyhow. This works fine as long as you lock the shaft with the pulley on. You could even go for a twin-motor setup if you were a bit mad.

The TA02 chassis with TA01 rear arms will also give you a 237mm wheelbase

• Like 2

You must have read my mind as after reading this thread I was just thinking I'd love to put the 037 body on a rally chassis but the TA-03RS seems like too much expense. I think I'll have to pick up a TA-02 now and modify it!

• Like 1

Interesting. Will the Lancia body sit on that chassis with the same stance as the TA03 though?

Interesting. Will the Lancia body sit on that chassis with the same stance as the TA03 though?

I will know in a couple of days ;)

• Like 1

It's not how far forward the motor fits which causes problems I find; it's the height of the front gearbox which means some of the more sleek bodies don't fit so well.

I estimate the body to be about 55 mm tall where the front gearbox would be located on an on-road chassis; if the TA-03 lower than that I think it should fit. I do not seem to recall the TA-03RS having a substantially-lower nose...

In addition, the longer nose of the Lancia shell should help to accommodate a forward-mounted motor, or at least from what I could tell of the TA-03F. It would be the front shock tower that causes problems, if anything does.

Wandy,

Late last night I while browsing RCmart I saw that they offered they still offered the Taisan Porsche 911 GT2 (no decals unfortunately) and also had the Lancia 037 body as well. The wheels started spinning making me wonder if they had released a chassis for it.. but no such luck. So I started to research possibilities for wheelbase of 237 and 240. My first thought was my M06, L would make it 239. But then you have to figure out the width of 187 mm.

Since the Taisan came on the TA02 SW, I looked into what it would take to convert a TA02T which is still being sold into a TA02SW.

Then I went about searching the difference between the TA03 and TA03RS. Arrived at same conclusion that darn elusive belt.

So we now know the belt is virtually non existent. How about a belt from another kit? Maybe it can be used if a belt tensioner is added? Can someone who has the kit measure the length of the belt

TA05 used equal length belts which were shorter than the TRF415/416 cars

TA05 934 Special edition http://www.tamiyausa.com/items/radio-control-parts-70/7-digit-spare-parts-71010/rc-drive-belt-49400-6244012

TA04 SS was a shorter chassis with a shorter belt.

TRF501? probably a long shot

Then there are kits from HPI, etc.. worth a shot