Wandy

Parts for Lancia Rally 037 TA03RS?

Ok so my TA03RS is now unpacked and looks promising.

Not mint, but good enough. Ended up at £62 all in.

It's my 1st racing type chassis, I don't normally buy anything without good ground clearance as they are too restrictive otherwise.

So I'm intrigued and its my 1st belt driven 4WD as well.

image-2.jpg

The Taison was on a TA02SW chassis (short wheelbase, not wide) The wheels are wide in the back to give it the right look.

The same Porsche body with PIAA livery was sold with a TA03R-S.

So you think it would fit?

Bought it off ebay from the seller "greatsurfbay".

The Taison was on a TA02SW chassis (short wheelbase, not wide) The wheels are wide in the back to give it the right look.

The same Porsche body with PIAA livery was sold with a TA03R-S.

Ah right, I was just going off this page here which says the chassis is short and wide, didn't realise that it's just the wheels that make it wide:

http://tinyurl.com/Taisan

I hadn't realised until today the kit was orignally released on the Brat chassis and then on the TA03RS chassis, or I have got this wrong?

There are 2 NIB on eBay with the TAO3RS Chassis for sale, which very nice and very tempting!

Also looking at these kits I need a 'H' parts tree for the front bumper for my TA03?

I hadn't realised until today the kit was orignally released on the Brat chassis and then on the TA03RS chassis, or I have got this wrong?

There are 2 NIB on eBay with the TAO3RS Chassis for sale, which very nice and very tempting!

Also looking at these kits I need a 'H' parts tree for the front bumper for my TA03?

Yes it did come out first on the Brat chassis but I believe the body wasn't as to scale as the later release (narrower arches I think).

The H parts (front bumper and body posts) come in the body set so you don't need anything else matey.

• Like 1

Yes it did come out first on the Brat chassis but I believe the body wasn't as to scale as the later release (narrower arches I think).

The H parts (front bumper and body posts) come in the body set so you don't need anything else matey.

Thanks Steve.

I can see the early Lancia had the bigger arches for the larger wheels.

I'm guessing the Brat chassis is better for road clearance and the TA more authentic looking with the smaller diameter wheels.

That guess would be correct - the original Lancia Rally was very good at clearing obstacles, though of course could not match a four-wheel drive vehicle of equivalent dimensions in that aspect of performance. The TA-03RS is also easier to control with its four-wheel drive configuration and much-lower centre of gravity. It can also still be run on flat dirt, though would benefit from off-road-specific modifications.

• Like 1

To add to Garstens.. the last thing you want to do with this gorgeous body is run it on rough off road conditions.. its an ABS body, not up for a lot of abuse

I bought a Brat Chassis 037 the other night, so it will be interesting to compare the 2 side by side when I have everything in 'stock'.

I feel like the Brat 037 will be the runner and the TA03 for display.

I still need to buy the Re RE shell and a light kit and I'm almost there.

To add to Garstens.. the last thing you want to do with this gorgeous body is run it on rough off road conditions.. its an ABS body, not up for a lot of abuse

Ironically, I do just that with my original Lancia Rally! However, it is higher up off the ground and runs with an upgraded bumper, so a good point there. I did collide with a few objects and run it on some very poorly-prepared surfaces, nonetheless, and it is holding up.

Interestingly, my book on 037s say that the original designer, Ing. Sergio Limone, did not like the 037s to be entered in the Acropolis Rally in Greece because road conditions, including jumps, were prohibitively rough... But that was for reasons completely different to preserving bodyshells. Suspension elements were probably the vital components.

One can still enjoy their re-release Lancia in hard running, though - witness TC member _miga_'s stunning photos of his 037 runner, and I believe another TC member painted his in an alternate colour scheme (a Chardonnet scheme with Pioneer sponsorship) and runs it with an 8T brushless motor. The body being hard plastic does not necessarily equate to very tame driving! ;)

For running the original car: find some good tires, or restore the stock pieces if they have not perished. Subaru Brat tires and wheels should still fit the car, though at the very extremes of suspension compression the slightly-larger tires may rub against the shell. Given the rarity of correct wheels and tires, though, this is still a viable choice - any wheel/tire combination around 80 mm in total diameter should fit, and the original tires were around 75 mm.

... Pardon my excitement; I have fallen hard for both 037s...

Grastens, I'm ready to start detailing my 037 body, how did you paint the black bits on yours? By brush or spray? Did you mask off or have you got a steady hand?

I have seen both. I masked off the entire bodyshell except the black pieces in an attempt to acquire a smooth finish on all black-painted surfaces, though it was very difficult to mask correctly. My car still has paint bleed around the arches and front headlight buckets, though it still can be done very well as TC member morgi74 has demonstrated on his re-release 037.

A combination of masking and brush paint would actually be the ideal solution as it reduces the amount of masking to be done, which allows for more time spent actually making sure the tape sticks! But I sprayed my car's black trim pieces also because I intended to paint the inside of the shell black; I thought it was a good step to installing a light kit.

Apologies for hijacking the thread, too; see previous closing sentence!

• Like 1

So I've put the 037 wheels and tyres on my TA03 RS chassis, but it doesn't look very rally.

It still sits low and close to the road still alas the GT1 that it was.

What is the way to make it look more authentic?

It needs to be raised IMO.

So I've put the 037 wheels and tyres on my TA03 RS chassis, but it doesn't look very rally.

It still sits low and close to the road still alas the GT1 that it was.

What is the way to make it look more authentic?

It needs to be raised IMO.

Try some harder springs maybe . '' Tuned Spring Set '' #53163 blue springs will raise it a little .

I am building a TA03 project out of spare parts which uses CC01 shocks (60mm) and the driveshafts operate as they should, increases the clearance quite a lot.

I am building a TA03 project out of spare parts which uses CC01 shocks (60mm) and the driveshafts operate as they should, increases the clearance quite a lot.

that's not a bad idea - longer shocks would do the trick but how will it handle ?????????????

Longer shock end eyelets?

TA03 already uses the longest variation as standard unfortunately, unless you can source the very rare optional low-mount suspension parts (reinforced plastic).

Some more significant progress today. I now have a brand new short tub chassis but, more importantly, have a brand new belt, bought for less than £10. The downside is that it is not an original Tamiya product but one supplied by the aftermarket. I sourced it from a German ebay seller, although communication with them was a nightmare as their English isn't good. In the end I got a friend in Germany to buy it for me and then send it to my address. That's the major hurdle overcome though. :)

df004_zpse68bc775.jpg

df001_zpse284d395.jpg

Wandy, my own personal nightmare was solved as well! I waited too long and both Stella and RCmart sold out of the body set.

TamiyaUSA was moving warehouses and no one could give me an if / when on the body. Yesterday they finally told me its in stock and I ordered 2. Sigh.

Belts: I was lucky, I posted on rctech that I'm looking for a belt. A member pm'd me and told me that for $30, he would sell me a TA03F-S chassis with a used belt and a new belt. As you can guess, I jumped on that deal.

• Like 1

Oh dear, I've still not bought my shell, looks like I've missed the boat unless I pay over the odds.

I will have 2 TA03RS GT1s coming up for sale soon by the sound of it!

Oh dear, I've still not bought my shell, looks like I've missed the boat unless I pay over the odds.

I will have 2 TA03RS GT1s coming up for sale soon by the sound of it!

Where are you located? Tamiya resellers in the EU are only getting their bodies now as well. So don't think you have missed the boat.

• Like 1

Where are you located? Tamiya resellers in the EU are only getting their bodies now as well. So don't think you have missed the boat.

I'm in the U.K, I'll sit tight then.

I was going to sell one chassis anyway and keep the other for the 037 shell.

I did buy one of the early Lancias on the Brat chassis, so there is a back up plan if all else fails!

Yes don't get ripped off by sellers trying to make you pay double or triple the retail price. I just got 2 body sets in the mail today from a German online site for the same price I would have paid if I bought from HK when they first came out.

• Like 1