mongoose1983

interesting Rough Rider rear susp. mod

Saw this one and decided to share some pictures. A VERY unusual rear suspension modification. Doesn't look bad. I wonder how better it is compared with the stock one.

rr001_zpsce038f90.jpg

rr003_zps02b32c8a.jpg?t=1377119543

rr004_zpsdf6a9d6c.jpg?t=1377119556

Well, it looks like it reduces the rear damper travel compared to the stock setup, which would be mounted further from the rear arm pivot point. The rear arms themselves certainly look much stronger, too. It should provide more damping action, though at the expense of consistent rebound. That is to be expected of most upright shock systems, though, since more force is put on the spring.

To my eyes, it looks a little unconventional but appears to operate similarly to the stock configuration. Even the rear dampers appear similar - except obviously there are coil springs over the damper bodies.

Edit: How could I miss that the rear is no longer a swing-axle but a trailing-arm suspension? Hoo boy...

Great stuff.!

A trailing rear end would be so much better. It looks well designed and executed. There should be no camber change through the suspension travel which means more grip. The dog bone set up looks to be easy to do but to find drive shafts and cups would have been a challenge.

I've been thinking about this kind of mod for a while, I never ran my MIP trailing arm setup and often wondered how it handled. Then I saw these.......

http://www.rcchannel.com.tw/product_info.php?cPath=48&products_id=368

Not sure if the dimensions would work out though.

Those look very interesting, especially as I've just started a Wild One project - something to think about :rolleyes:

I seem to remember TC Member Franklin doing a trailing arm conversion on one of his Scorchers using Kyosho parts . Maybe he can advise us how much of a improvement it makes ?

Kyosho scorpion semi trailing arm rear was an old mod I've seen before :)

Kyosho scorpion semi trailing arm rear was an old mod I've seen before :)

that's the one Buddie - looks like a nice neat way to do this .

....The dog bone set up looks to be easy to do but to find drive shafts and cups would have been a challenge.

The drive cups from Tamiya semi truck prop shafts (and TLT 1 diff pinion shafts) would do the trick.

I seem to remember TC Member Franklin doing a trailing arm conversion on one of his Scorchers using Kyosho parts . Maybe he can advise us how much of a improvement it makes ?

Wow I'd complete forgotten, but yes your right. Those trailing arms were knocking around on ebay a while back too. DOH!!

Saw this one and decided to share some pictures. A VERY unusual rear suspension modification. Doesn't look bad. I wonder how better it is compared with the stock one.

rr001_zpsce038f90.jpg

rr003_zps02b32c8a.jpg?t=1377119543

Looks very cool. Where did you find it?

If you want them I have some suitable drive cups in my stash . They attach with grub screws as per scorcher . PM me if you want them . I also have a number of suitable axels - I think from a Tamiya nitro .

I hink it is a very apt mod, as it echoes the full-size practice of converting early VW Beetle rear suspension from swing-arms to IRS trailing arms when building a Baja Bug, beach buggy or sand rail.

I did the full-size equivalent of this when I built my Baja Bug, using the trailing arms and shafts from a Super Beetle. It let me raise the rear ride height using coilovers without getting adverse camber issues.

Will16 - I saw this on ebay a few months ago, maybe mr mongoose bought it?

Will16 - I saw this on ebay a few months ago, maybe mr mongoose bought it?

Not at all, mate. I could not get it not even if they asked 40 bucks for it! I was basically curious about the rear suspension set-up. Oh, and yes, it is (or was?) for sale on eBay this week.

Y'all have a good Friday! :)