lawdog

M-04M Audi Quattro* Coupe

Well, thanks to neverfollow's very nice TL-01 Audi project beating me to the punch on mine (and crushing my fleeting hopes of having the only Carisma Audi shell in the States :( ), I thought I'd go ahead and post some pics of my 99% finished M-04 fitted with a 1/12 Audi Quattro Coupe body.

To make this body fit, the M-04L body spacer has to be removed, making an M-04M with a wheelbase of 225mm. Because I wanted this to be as clean/scale as possible, I didn't want to drill body holes for posts. I tried the R2 Hobbies Aluminum Stealth Mounts, and they worked OK, as discussed here:

http://www.tamiyaclub.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=67544

These pics are of the finished body on the original stealth mounts...I have not had time to lower/adjust the mounts as much as I would like to, so the body sits a litte higher than optimal. I also just got some of the newer R2 Hobbies magnetic post mounts, so I may try those later, too.

Because this is such an 80s icon, I've tried some 80s-era excess gold Kawada wheels, in addition to the more stock-looking Tamiya 18-spokers. Feel free to vote on your favorite...I'm leaning toward the bling. The side decals were supposed to emulate the vanishing rings decals on the original Coupes, but I couldn't find any small ones that matched. I settled on some brake caliper decals that are OK, but not great. A few other decals ordered, a few salvaged from other kits, and a few I made round out the detailing. I am also happy with the effect I got on the taillamps by painting the shell silver underneath, and then using a red and orange Sharpie to color the exterior of the lexan...gave a very realistic effect.

Anyway, here she is, in all her imperfect glory...sorry for the iPhone quality pics. Oh, and the asterisk in the title, of course, refers to the irony that this is supposed to be a "Quattro", but it's functionally a RWD...don't tell anyone.

O309192.jpg

O309191.jpgO309194.jpgO309190.jpgO309189.jpgO309193.jpg

• Like 1

Looks great, I actually prefer the silver wheel - more in keeping with the cars' 80's looks. Those coloured sharpies are great aren't they!?!?

Nice! You know, there was an Audi Coupe GT that was FWD only, and had the same bodystyle... if the lack of a scale-accurate drivetrain bugs you, you could move it over to an M03 or M05...

I too agree that silver wheels look better on this good-looking machine!

For four-wheel drive, could an M-Four chassis accommodate the shell?

Silver wheels too. Have you thought about using a very fine pen to detail the panel lines? I think it would look great to pick out the bumpers, etc.

Silver wheels too. Have you thought about using a very fine pen to detail the panel lines? I think it would look great to pick out the bumpers, etc.

What pen do you recommend matey?

Haha :D Maybe no such thing exists? I was thinking along the lines of one of those fine point sharpie pens...

+1 for the silver wheels . As alternate to using a Sharpie pen micro line tape works well too .

They make a finer Sharpie, and I have some black detailing tape, so I might try those out. In my limited experience, though, the detailing tape doesn't adhere as well as you'd like to the lexan, especially in a curve.