ddaenen1

An original Avante in poor state but with potential!

Hmmm, the technigold motor was included when i bought it? Maybe the previous owner bought it as a hopup? On the other hand, the Technigold is shown on the box but you say the boxes are the same for both releases, right?

For the rest, the way the car was built it has only 1 nut per shaft assembled and there weren't any spring washers and i do not know about C1 and C2 being reinforced or not because i do not have anything to compare it with. Are the uprights of the Avante 2001 reinforced? I still have one of those lying in the b

looks like the previous owner bought the technigold separetly....The technigold must be shown in the both of the Boxes cos it is the Best hop up motor back then.

Yes. the Avante 2001 and Egress uprights both are reinforced.

Are you sure the original version didn't include the technigold? I though the technigold was only left out for some kits in the US market. My second edition Avante 88 didn't include the technigold either.

Autosol, makes aluminium look like chrome.

Metal polish, used in the auto industry but might be worth a try on all your metal parts.

Wow. Excellent detail coming up from this specific rebuild. Thank you guys for sharing your knowledge on the Avante!

Here is the photo of the C1&2 from the 1st & 2nd version . u can see the groove is not filled, while in latest version it is filled.

post-37499-0-16621700-1379334002_thumb.j

post-37499-0-55694400-1379334072_thumb.j

I made an inventory of all the fixings i am still missing to complete the build lateron. Here is what i am still missing, hopefully somebody can help as i saw that almost all of them belong to different screw bags :( which would mean i would need to spend a small fortune for a couple of fixings.

The numbering is from the original Avante manual.

- 1 x Link-pin 3x15mm (BL3)
- 4 x Double ball shaft (SB13)
- 4 x Bushing base (BF01)
- 4 x Ball Colar (BF2)
- 1 x Hexagon Bushing 5x4mm (SM4)

- 4 x Screw pin 2x11mm (BE5)

Fixings can be used-condition as long as in undamaged and working condition.

Hopefully you guys can help me with this one! If you have anything, please PM me.

Well, it wasn't planned but i did manage to get a little bit further today. i managed to put the front powertrain together. Lots of dirt and grease so the parts needed a serious cleaning excercise.

Sorry that the pictures are not of good quality but i didn't have proper light.

You will notice i didn't assemble the upper arms as while i was assembling these, i noticed that one of the two threaded shafts was bent. This needs some special attention and/or a replacement. I will do this tomorrow as i do have some tricks to straighten bent threaded shafts but it takes some patience.

IMG-20130918-00723.jpg

And here then the current status - step 29 in the manual.

IMG-20130918-00724.jpg

In the mean time, the undercowl i ordered arrived. I was quite surprised to see that the lexan still has the 58072 on it. Does this mean it's an original one or did it never change for the re-re?

IMG-20130918-00725.jpg

Aha, good to know. It's only the undercowl but indeed it has no holes. I'm learning more of this car by the hour ^_^

nice find, I have those ! look niiice :), also noticed they have the ball end covers... hmm im thinking I may grab those covers!

Good news today and bad news today: Bought a significant amount of parts to complete the Avante from Tamiyaera (which i have to thank for his patience ;) ) but on the other hand bad news as i got an email from rcmart.com that the body i ordered is not in stock anymore...strange if you think it was indicated as being in stock. So now i need to find another one at a decent price. I sometimes wonder what people are thinking when they are selling 300 grams of polycarbonate... :unsure:

Nevertheless, i hope to continue the build tomorrow evening...

P.S. i am interested in the titanium rod set but can somebody tell me if that site can also be converted to English?

DD

Good news today and bad news today: Bought a significant amount of parts to complete the Avante from Tamiyaera (which i have to thank for his patience ;) ) but on the other hand bad news as i got an email from rcmart.com that the body i ordered is not in stock anymore...strange if you think it was indicated as being in stock. So now i need to find another one at a decent price. I sometimes wonder what people are thinking when they are selling 300 grams of polycarbonate... :unsure:

Nevertheless, i hope to continue the build tomorrow evening...

P.S. i am interested in the titanium rod set but can somebody tell me if that site can also be converted to English?

DD

All pleasure mate..cheers

ohhhh so annoying ,,,,,,i think same happened with me last year maybe, dont remember which item, but was so eager to get when i got an email about not in stock...loool

well mate,,no other choice than ebay....i was having a complete set ( Avante 2011 Black Special ) but was sold yesterday .

Try Stella,,they might have

Well, i managed to get going again last night.

First point on the agenda: complete the front steering and at the same time first issue: The 2 holes that hold the ball joints together with the body pin bracket are completely cross-threaded :wacko: If only i had noticed this earlier. Well, i will assemble all now, order some new a-parts and replace later.

After that mounted the steering backets after a good polish andconnected the turnbuckles with new ball adjusters. Looking good!

IMG-20130920-00726.jpg

Only a couple of things that bother me: the steering has alot of play, is this standard with the Avante (at least the 1988). I need to find a solution for this. Did see the racing steering set which looks similar to the one from my Avante 2001 - may this is the solution. 2nd issue: the steering bracket is scuffing on the frp plate. Me no like but i do have a quick fix for that. A small piece of self-ashesive felt tape on the bottom of the bracket.

IMG-20130921-00733.jpg

Works like a charm AND takes away some of the lateral play in the steering. :D

IMG-20130920-00727.jpg

I don't know how long the felt tape will last but no worries. I have loads of that stuff...

Now, last point on the agenda: install the Technigold that i had to repair as the terminals were broken. Hmmm, i realize that there is a sequence in manuals for a reason but who would have thought you just can't get it in without disassembling half of the car again! :angry:

So off wel go, and after a significant amount of time, motor assembled. Looking good though, much better than the speedworks.

IMG-20130921-00729.jpg

Connected it to a battery and it runs smooth as a babies' bottom! I only wish i had bought and put a steel pinion on it from day one now that i know that it takes so much work to get the motor in and out...i guess it keeps me busy...hehehe

Not much more i can do on the car now until the parts from Taimyaera come in so i can assemble dampers and and put the front ones on. Rear ones will have to wait. Still didn't find a replacement for the broken FRP but seriously considering making my own. I have both brackets but the are connected to the frp using a rivet. I am thinking of drilling out both rivets, make a new FRP parts from a Top Force upper deck and reassembled with stainless bolts and lock nuts. It is not really original but has the advantage that if it breaks again in the future, i can replace it again...

So, this is how the car looks in its current state...

IMG-20130921-00731.jpg

In any case, i guess i'll go start cutting the lexan undercowl and search for some more parts...Thanks for looking.

• Like 1

Good idea with the felt tape,need to find me some of that!

keep up the good work mate

Well, my mother always used to say, once its in my head, no way you can it out...

As the cutting of the undercowl really couldn't keep me busy for long, i decided to take matters into my own hands when it comes to the FRP damper plate as i saw that chances of getting one were slimp to none and i didn't want to use the re-re so off to the basement:

Here is the situation: damper stay broken and "fixed" by the previous owner

IMG-20130921-00734.jpg

Lets get that rivet out, piece of cake with a 3mm drill

IMG-20130921-00735.jpg

I need a master for my self-made version and i do not want to ruin the other one until i know this works. Luckily enough, FRP and instant glue are good friends

IMG-20130921-00736.jpg

So let's fix the master to the donor plate. I considered using the TF lower FRP but that one is very good condition so i donated the TA04 Carbon lower plate which was already damaged on the front. Ok, now the material changes but Carbon Fiber is stronger and even looks better, can this go wrong?

I positioned it first and drilled a 3mm locator. Fixed it with a bolt to the carbon and drilled the 2nd hole. After fixing both screws, the 3rd hole was drilled.

IMG-20130921-00737.jpg

I am going to spare you the details of cutting, drilling and filing but in the end, this was what came out

IMG-20130921-00739.jpg

Assembled back onto the alu fixing point, this is what you get.

IMG-20130921-00740.jpg

Doesn't look too shabby, now does it? Actually, i am very pleased with the result and will start crafting myself a second one for this car. Maybe i will get some CNC'ed from a FRP plate lateron but for now, this does the trick.

IMG-20130921-00742.jpg

Not original you say? Maybe, but as close as it can get and if make new ones in FRP almost non-detectable and...interchangeable in the future if i would break another one..aha!

Apart from the material difference, you couldn't tell the two apart good job mate

Nice work, are you going to run this?

Yes sir. Most likely not alot as for running my Top Force is much better and even my Avante 2001 is for that matter but i let them out once in a while :)