PMBGrasshopper

ESC for Grasshopper 2

Hi there. Just joined the site and looking to swap my Grasshopper 2 from MSC to ESC with a low speed/power setting that would allow my 5 year old daughter to use it. While it's not the fastest car in the world it's a bit too quick off the mark for her at the moment. Any recommendations would be welcomed.

Any esc will do really, where abouts are you, How about just fitting a higher turn motor like a crawler motor a 35-55 turn motor would really slow it down and you would get a very long run times. theres not many esc's on the market that have a training mode, the traxxas XL-5 has but there quite expensive and that small. let us know how you get on.

Thanks for the quick feedback. I hadn't thought about swapping the motor. If I went right to a 55 turn would that literally crawl? Sorry if I sound a bit dumb on the matter. I'm assuming, as I have the stock MSC fitted there's no issues with the rest of the electrics? Thanks for your help. I'm in North Yorks by the way, so not too far from you Monkey.

A 55t would move it along at a brisk walking/slow jogging pace. To slow it down further, an 80t might be worth a try.

I would suggest a basic manually-calibrated ESC instead of the MSC too, as this will allow you to turn down the maximum speed via the transmitter or calibrate it for lower speeds if your transmitter doesn't have EPA.

Excellent. 55t sounds about right. I'll see how we get on with that and then decide on the esc. Will probably swap to esc later anyway. Cheers.

OK, so I've got my 55t 540 motor and an 18t pinion gear as per the manual, but the new pinion is too small in diameter. Have had a quick look around and can't get a grip in pinion sizing. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Thanks!

Sounds like you may have made the same mistake as I did when I first tried to order a pinion for a 'hopper.

The Grasshopper II, as well as a lot of other early Tamiyas and even some modern ones, use a different, coarser pitch pinion than the majority of the rest of the Tamiya line-up.

What pitch is your 18t pinion? My guess is it is mod 0.6. If I remember correctly, you need mod 0.8 for your car.

Thanks XV Pilot. Got myself a new o.8 pinion and we're away. Unfortunately, the 55t motor still seems rathe quick of the mark, so I'm thinking about going for an 80t motor to slow it down further. Does anyon know what the standard speed steps ar for three stage MSC. The grasshopper seems to be something in the region of 98%, 99% 100%.... I don't remember my old cars being quite to biased towards the top end.

If your transmitter has end point adjustment, then calibrate the ESC at 100% end point on the throttle then turn down the % to whatever speed you like.

Effectively gives you a training mode on and esc.

All sorted. Fitted an Mtroniks Rock Crawler ESC with the 55t motor and it's just about perfect. Thanks for all the help :) I've fitted it with Mad Bull wheels, painted it bright purple and added a silver sparkle for good measure.... now I've just got to find some decals that my 5 year old daughter will like!