TWINSET

New GMade Scaler - Project Sawback

Despite all the criticism in this post, it's a great base point to get started for customization.

Unlike some scale manufacturers, you can be certain the product is a quality finish and the drivetrain will be solid and durable.

This I can say, as an owner of most of the kits done by Junfac/G-Made.

Andy (TWINSET), what hand have you in this creation ? :P

Andy (TWINSET), what hand have you in this creation ? :P

None :( , I only knew about it 'cos I asked them back when the chassis appeared in that wheel pic - I've never had any input towards anything from GMade, only my Scorcher chassis thru Junfac.

First I heard about the truck as a release was thru GMade Korea's Facebook page

Any word on price or availability? I was considering one of the RC4WD trucks, but if this is significantly cheaper, it would give the budget some customizing room.

The first reliable price will probably be from http://www.junfac.com/

According to Christopher's link, it's debut appearance is at the "2013 iHobby Expo in Shaumburg, IL from October 3rd – 6th"

Hopefully it'll be up on Junfac soon

The lexan would be better painted on outside for a duller finish IMO, and its badly needs a driver !

I'm thinking Hawkeye from M*A*S*H.

That is a fair price. The more I look at it, the more i become a bit annoyed at the lexan body with its lack of detail.

I wonder if a Wild willy body would be hard to modify/stretch to fit this?

Yeah, I reckon you are looking at 8 1/2" wide, 11" wheelbase. Standard size scale truck, by the proportions of the bits. I really don't like that body.

I tried to fit a WW2 body onto a CC01 once. Recon it could be shortened with some pretty drastic chassis cuts but there was no way around the width problem.

I wish Tamiya would pick up the ball on this. With their modelling experience a proper scale 1/10 Willis Jeep body (and driver) with as close to scale as possible RC running gear would be a big seller for them. Surely most of the moving parts could be sourced from the Bruiser and 1/14 truck chassis! All they need to make new would be the body, driver, wheels and tyres.

I tried to fit a WW2 body onto a CC01 once. Recon it could be shortened with some pretty drastic chassis cuts but there was no way around the width problem.

I wish Tamiya would pick up the ball on this. With their modelling experience a proper scale 1/10 Willis Jeep body (and driver) with as close to scale as possible RC running gear would be a big seller for them. Surely most of the moving parts could be sourced from the Bruiser and 1/14 truck chassis! All they need to make new would be the body, driver, wheels and tyres.

I wonder if a 1/6 Dragon Jeep would fit ???????

That body does not do the model any favours, it looks terrible. The chassis meanwhile looks like a smart bit of kit, I wonder what the wheelbase is? A New Bright Jeep body fits a CC01 perfectly and could offer a nice alternative....

This looks great! Junfac/GMade makes quality stuff. Does the Sawback sport a new axle design or is it the current portal style? I see some U-bolts on the axles which I like.I like the shiny frame, is it chromed steel or alloy? I assume it will feature standard measurements for frame width and wheelbase etc. If the price form RPP is accurate there will be one at my house :)

I wonder what the wheelbase is for this. I have a project in mind that would involve putting this chassis under the Tamiya Jeep body.

I think the Tamiya body wheelbase is 242mm ?

Cheers,

Skottoman

I'm digging the chassis, but the body stinks.

I'll be watching this one with interest, as it would be a great start for a scale build I want to do of my 1:1 Jeep YJ.

If the Tamiya YJ body will fit, then I'm definitely going to scoop one up... if not, I'd better get working on my brazing skills.

• Like 1

I'm digging the chassis, but the body stinks.

I'll be watching this one with interest, as it would be a great start for a scale build I want to do of my 1:1 Jeep YJ.

If the Tamiya YJ body will fit, then I'm definitely going to scoop one up... if not, I'd better get working on my brazing skills.

Now that sounds like an excellent idea!

I really don't like Lexan bodies either (especially on a scale/detail vehicle), and this one on the Sawback really does look like a toy - especially in red (the camo paint job is at least a little better)... Certainly the Tamiya YJ body would be excellent if the wheelbase fits - any idea how long the Sawback chassis/wheelbase is?

Jx

• Like 1

As for 'scale looks' I guess that depends what they used for reference

images2.jpg

Now that could be replicated with a Wild Willy shell I reckon!

Jx

• Like 1

Jenny,

A Willys body on that longer frame could look like a stretched frame crawler. I like the way you think.

The WW body wheelbase is apx 170mm so you'd need to shrink most crawler frames a lot to even get that extended look.

The WW body wheelbase is apx 170mm so you'd need to shrink most crawler frames a lot to even get that extended look.

Hee hee - where there's a will(y) there's a way... you know how I like to cut and shut!

However, I fear you might be right in this instance - no matter what I tried I couldn't get this to work with anything like the proportions I wanted:

DSCF2138_zps216b45b0.jpg

DSCF2121_zps8be5797c.jpg

Which is why I created the Rocker and the Nailer...

Jx

Wow, what chassis is that? It looks huge!

My wraith is a monster next to my Tamiyas.

2012-12-01-17-34-04.jpg

I hear ya on that the frame may be too big for the body. brazing a frame together and using the bits to for a one off build is a possibility.

the axles might look huge under the body, but if shortened, with the right finesse...

it could be a cool little rig with some style.

Jenny, I think you're up to bat. ;)

I wonder what the wheelbase is for this. I have a project in mind that would involve putting this chassis under the Tamiya Jeep body.

I think the Tamiya body wheelbase is 242mm ?

Cheers,

Skottoman

Scott save yourself some bucks and get a New Bright jeep body . Its a exact fit on a CC-01 so I would imagine it will be the same on this chassis . Its a fairly well detailed body and certainly as strong if not stronger than the Tamiya jeep . if you want one let me know as I can source these really cheaply but P&P might be prohibitive .

That body does not do the model any favours, it looks terrible. The chassis meanwhile looks like a smart bit of kit, I wonder what the wheelbase is? A New Bright Jeep body fits a CC01 perfectly and could offer a nice alternative....

I tend to agree . If it will fit that chassis a New Bright body would make a very realistic scale jeep .

I tend to agree . If it will fit that chassis a New Bright body would make a very realistic scale jeep .

True - however, not wanting to be a Jeep nerd... but...

The New Bright is a TJ body, which is coil sprung, the earlier YJ (Tamiya) shell with the rectangular headlights would be the correct era for the Sawback leaf-sprung chassis...

Jx

Specs from Junfac;

Specification

- Width : 218mm

- Height : 246mm

- Length : 442mm

- Wheel base : 287mm

- Ground clearance : 60mm

- Weight (no electronics) : 1.7 kg

And overnight, a load of pics from Gmade site;

GS01spec01.jpg

GS01spec02.jpg

GS01spec03.jpg

GS01spec04.jpg

GS01spec05.jpg

GS01spec06.jpg

GS01spec07.jpg

GS01spec08.jpg

GS01spec09.jpg

GS01spec10.jpg

GS01spec11.jpg

GS01spec12.jpg

GS01spec13.jpg

GS01spec14.jpg

GS01spec15.jpg

GS01spec16.jpg

GS01spec17.jpg

GS01spec18.jpg

GS01spec19.jpg

GS01spec20.jpg

GS01spec21.jpg

GS01spec22.jpg

GS01spec23.jpg

GS01spec24.jpg

GS01spec25.jpg

GS01spec26.jpg

GS01spec27.jpg

GS01spec28.jpg

GS01spec29.jpg

GS01spec30.jpg

GS01spec31.jpg

Despite all the criticism in this post, it's a great base point to get started for customization.

Unlike some scale manufacturers, you can be certain the product is a quality finish and the drivetrain will be solid and durable.

I agree - the more I look at it, the more I like it - the chassis and drive train is wonderful (I especially like the way they have moulded the receiver box to look like the top of an engine - neat idea!)... I think this would look especially good as a shelfer - with perhaps one half of a body shell (a different body shell!) cut away, a bit like that fantastic Sand Scorcher that was made be members on here for the 30th Anniversary?

I have to say, looking at the latest pictures that Twinset uploaded - it certainly looks a lot better in darker/matt paint than the bright colours... I might have to check one out while I'm here in the US!

Jx

True - however, not wanting to be a Jeep nerd... but...

The New Bright is a TJ body, which is coil sprung, the earlier YJ (Tamiya) shell with the rectangular headlights would be the correct era for the Sawback leaf-sprung chassis...

Jx

Jenny the New Bright has the Rectangular headlights but not being a jeep expert I don't know how correct it is . On mine I retro fitted a round headlight grill purely because I prefer the traditional Jeep look so its fairly easy to adapt it and customise one to suit .

I agree on the lexan body . While I'm no fan of lexan it looks far better in a dark olive drab - maybe paint the inside rust colour and the outside olive green so damage shows the rust ? . IMO the chassis is impressive in terms of quality but why oh why would you want it in a bright metal finish ? Paint it for sure .

Jenny the New Bright has the Rectangular headlights but not being a jeep expert I don't know how correct it is . On mine I retro fitted a round headlight grill purely because I prefer the traditional Jeep look so its fairly easy to adapt it and customise one to suit .

Ah, apologies then - I was basing my assumption on your build thread, I hadn't realised you'd swapped out the headlight grille - nice job!

Yes, the 'Wranger' YJ Jeep had rectangular headlights for some reason, then when they updated the model in the mid 90's (TJ) to coil suspension, they went back to the traditional round headlights - like you say, that is the definitive 'Jeep' look!

Interesting that that Sawback Chassis wheelbase is 287mm - that is pretty long for a 1/10th scale vehicle? In fact a quick calculation (113 inches 1:1 scale) makes it more in keeping with a LWB (109 inch) Land Rover for example? - now there's a project for someone!

Jx