TWINSET

New GMade Scaler - Project Sawback

Funny you should say that JennyMo, I was just checking my Axial Dingo body and it's ideal wheelbase is pretty much spot of 285mm!

I agree, the wheel base seems long, but the frame looks like it'll be easy to chop to whatever wb you need.

I'm digging it, the more info that comes out, the more I think it's a bargain, especially if it stays close to $250-275 (USD) price point.

Besides, it's hip to be square....

7336223202_a7ac719f25.jpg

Nah, square headlights are OK. What's a sin on a Jeep is an automatic transmission and air conditioning.

• Like 1

I can't count the number of round headlight jeeps I've pulled out of mud pits and other bad spots....

My favorite was a guy who had a shackle lifted CJ. He was constantly busting my chops about my Jeep not being a "real Jeep". I mean always, in public, and of course it only got worse the more adult beverages he consumed.

One night we're all camping in the middle of nowhere. He comes walking back to camp, covered in mud, and said his jeep was stuck...

So the group of us (30-40 people) all load up and go down to where he's stuck. he's deep, but it's not that bad. He dug himself in being dumb, It's obvious.

I say "I got ya" he jumps in my Jeep, we drive to his and hook up the tow strap.

I yank him right out, no drama.

We get back to camp. Everyone is around checking his Jeep for issues, etc.

The guy looks at me and says really loud "That was serious mud wasn't it? You pulled me out quick, did ya use 4Low?"

My reply, "Nope, 2WD, I never even put it in 4WD".

Everyone around us busted out laughing at him (all aware of his "real jeep have round headlights" wise cracks)

From that point forward, I always called my Jeep the "Round Light Rescue Unit" around him... he never got over it. LOL>

• Like 1

Its funny you say that . While I am a huge Land Rover fan it was pants wetting funny pulling my brothers Defender out of a ditch with my Tiny Suzuki SJ 410 Rag top some years ago . Turns out the Silly Sod had it in 2WD :lol:

• Like 1

LMAO, so many times it's the driver, not the vehicle... actually, most of the time.

They guy went off with all terrain tires, with about 1/4 tread on them... My new swampers had plenty of grip... I did cover him as he hooked up the tow strap... he looked like Chewbacca by the time we got back to camp... karma. :)

Wow, what chassis is that? It looks huge!

Hi BW! - it as actually a budget RTR Mad-Gear Cliff crawler - I posted a thread about it last year:

http://www.tamiyaclub.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=68171&hl=

And not wanting to take this thread off topic, but I have just updated that build here:

http://www.tamiyaclub.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=71383#entry511984

Jx

• Like 1

Pre-orders;
http://www.junfac.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=6&products_id=584 $269.99/£168.07

Carriage to UK;
Korea Post Air mail (Shipping to GB) $23.20 (£14.44)
EMS (Shipping to GB) $32.60 (£20.30)
UPS (Shipping to GB) $45.00 (£28.02)

Worst case around £240 if you get hit @ customs (£168.07 + £20.30 + 23% VAT and estimated Duty +£13 Clearing fee from Parcel Force - UPS may charge more, no idea)

Or

£249 http://www.fusionhobbies.com/product/gm52000-gmade-gs01-sawback-4wd-kit

1.jpg

Sorely tempted .

Always been impressed with my two Gmade kits , I think tamiya CC-01 too plasticky and the CR-01 overpriced and a little disappointing in chassis visuals. This falls nicely in the middle albeit in competition with Axial and others.

I have looked at this model several times on and off, yet in my mind is neither here or there and here, which I can't lay my fingers on it. The body somehow is "OK", but not quite there even with the add on pieces. The chassis may perform very well, but that tranny/motor cover made to look like an engine block seems kind of odd located at almost mid chassis, and the steering rods all sticking out in front seems to me the body and chassis are from two different vehicles mated together.

I will be following the build thread and may see it differently afterwards.

As I wouldn't want to hi-jack Twinset's dedicated build thread (other than to say please paint it in a dark colour, and ideally matt, as it seems to look a lot less toy-like like that), I'll post this suggestion here...

Perhaps a nice alternative body would be the Tamiya BJ40 Land Cruiser shell, but truck-cab it using the rear quarters of the hard-top shell, and make a custom pick-up bed to fit the longer wheelbase of the Sawback chassis?

Still lexan of course, but I think it could be made to look really sharp... I particularly like this paint job:

Jx

...other than to say please paint it in a dark colour, and ideally matt, as it seems to look a lot less toy-like like that

Don't worry, the paint was delivered last week, check build thread ;)

Don't worry, the paint was delivered last week, check build thread ;)

I just have, and it's stunning!!!

what an awesome build - you can't have slept the past two days?!

Jx

IMO its a excellent chassis - very scale . Its let down by the body though . I have a idea that may work if I can find a Dragon 1/6 jeep kit at a reasonable price :ph34r: , Best of both worlds with a decent body on a scale chassis ;). Add a couple of 1/6 SAS or Para figurers and it would look very realistic .

Andy I know their expensive but I can't help thinking that a Dragon figure would be the perfect scale for this .

Andy I know their expensive but I can't help thinking that a Dragon figure would be the perfect scale for this .

If Dragon figures are over 10" I think they'd be too tall - 9 1/2-10" seems to be the right height

Hard to say not having one here to measure . I know their less in height than a Actionman . I think Mr Crispy has some so maybe he can advise ?

You're starting to obsess fella; Dragon figures are advertised at 1/6 scale, which makes them 12" - taller than the 9 1/2-10" this truck needs.

Given the wheelbase makes the Jeep 1/7, the maximum height would be 10.3" (72/7) but even then that's top limit and either the figure or the seats would need modifying to allow for 'sinkage' into the seat.

With this shell, Dragon figures would be too big; http://www.dragonmodelsusa.com/dmlusa/prodmidh.asp?tlcode=DRF - right at the top, 1/6 12"

Unless they picked a load of 5 foot tall soldiers for their models, they'll be too big

As in not suitable, also referred to as too big.

You're starting to obsess fella; Dragon figures are advertised at 1/6 scale, which makes them 12" - taller than the 9 1/2-10" this truck needs.

Given the wheelbase makes the Jeep 1/7, the maximum height would be 10.3" (72/7) but even then that's top limit and either the figure or the seats would need modifying to allow for 'sinkage' into the seat.

With this shell, Dragon figures would be too big; http://www.dragonmodelsusa.com/dmlusa/prodmidh.asp?tlcode=DRF - right at the top, 1/6 12"

Unless they picked a load of 5 foot tall soldiers for their models, they'll be too big

As in not suitable, also referred to as too big.

no problem Andy and no offence taken . Its your build and you know what will work out . . From what your saying though the body seems out of scale with the chassis

The whole truck is 1/7 scale give of take a few mm;

Length; 3327mm/442mm = 1/7.5 (475 = 1/7)

Width; 1575mm/218mm = 1/7.22 (225 = 1/7)

Wheelbase; 2032mm/287mm = 1/7.08 (290 = 1/7)

Everything is in 1/7 scale, body and chassis, the only place this doesn't fit is where GMade have said it's 1/10 - but once you take the shell out of the equation though the dimensions of the chassis are 1/10 as compared to RC4WD's Hilux and a few Proline 1/10 shells etc.

As a model which resembles a Willys Jeep it's 1/7

As a chassis looking for a different shell it's 1/10